Contribute
Register

Would my Dell inspiron 17 7000 be hackintosh-able?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you think I'm gonna have an issue if indeed it is a Haswell?

You'll find out when you get it. The problem with some Haswell machines has been that they reboot trying to boot the installer. Eventually this will be solved (with a patched or modified kernel), but now it is an issue.

So far, I've seen it mostly on ASUS and Lenovo machines...

When I use the unibeast, can I just partition the drive and keep the windows on it without having to erase it or will I have to reinstall both operating systems? I have both I was just wondering

When I use the unibeast, can I just partition the drive and keep the windows on it without having to erase it or will I have to reinstall both operating systems? I have both I was just wondering

Generally, you cannot keep it. Problem is this:
- OS X requires GPT partitioning
- Windows uses GPT partitioning with a UEFI install, but Chimera cannot boot a UEFI install
- Windows uses MBR partitioning with a legacy install, but the OS X installer will not install to a MBR partitioned disk

The solution is to re-create the partition table as a GPT/MBR hybrid, OS X sees the GPT side, Windows sees the MBR side and installs legacy. Chimera can boot both...

Dual boot guide is here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

More complex scenarios are covered in my (one and only) blog article... link in signature.

More information on hybrid partitioning here: http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

Geez dude there's a lot to this. I think the most unclear part to me is after the installation is complete and using multi-beast and all the other things i read about SSDT's, chameleon wizards, DSTD's, etc.... I'm reading about stuff I don't even know what the hell I'm looking for lol

Geez dude there's a lot to this. I think the most unclear part to me is after the installation is complete and using multi-beast and all the other things i read about SSDT's, chameleon wizards, DSTD's, etc.... I'm reading about stuff I don't even know what the hell I'm looking for lol

Yes, it will be a learning process.

Okay, I'll come back and let you know my progress and updates as to how it goes. If I have any more issues I'll just let you know, hopefully in a non-burdensome manner lol. Also, what's a good place to go learn about the dropdown options in the multibeast software? Sort of to know what to look for in specific tailored options. Or will it be again as you said, trial and error?

Okay, I'll come back and let you know my progress and updates as to how it goes. If I have any more issues I'll just let you know, hopefully in a non-burdensome manner lol. Also, what's a good place to go learn about the dropdown options in the multibeast software? Sort of to know what to look for in specific tailored options. Or will it be again as you said, trial and error?

Multibeast comes with documentation.

Lol ok gotcha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back