Contribute
Register

World of Warcraft performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the week long Necro but I thought I would give my input.

Last night I finished a build with some old parts I had lying around. On a socket 775 E3300 Celeron with 2GB DDR2 memory, a ATA 320 WD HDD, an 8600GT and a 19" 1440x900 LCD monitor I get around 30fps in Stormwind and in 5man burning crusade LFD groups I was getting around 40fps (my Shaman is only 67 can't speak for cataclysm). I had most graphic settings turned down save texture detail and particle intensity (my favorites). I am on 10.6.6 and using NVKush for graphics.

I was more than able to heal with my Shaman. I found the whole experience completely satisfactory. The hardware the OP refers to should be more than enough.

I am considering putting in 2gb more RAM and swapping in my GTS450. Once that is done I will have a perfect little secondary computer for WoW.

Finished the build in my Sig last night. 60+ FPS in Org with all settings on Ultra! Vast improvement over my 6yo Core 2 Duo iMac!

cowfodder said:
Finished the build in my Sig last night. 60+ FPS in Org with all settings on Ultra! Vast improvement over my 6yo Core 2 Duo iMac!
Doesn't it look awesome there now!!
I have been exploring the world now with my build, I'm coming from a 6 year old iMac as well :D

eelhead said:
cowfodder said:
Doesn't it look awesome there now!!
I have been exploring the world now with my build, I'm coming from a 6 year old iMac as well :D

It's like a whole new game. Now I just have to redo my UI as it was setup for 1440x900 before, and is all messed up on 1920x1080.

A family member regularly plays WoW on his hackintosh that I built him a couple years ago with the following specs:

• 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
• 4GB Ram
• Gigabyte G31M-ES2L Motherboard
• Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM HD
• EVGA Geforce 8600GTS 256MB
• Vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.7

Running at 1600x900, he gets surprisingly good framerates - generally 30FPS or higher on mid-high settings. The graphics don't take anything special to get working, either the appropriate EFI string or NVEnabler in Chameleon do the trick perfectly.

The performance of the wow client is superior in Mac because the Mac client has lesser details and less texture filtering than windows. It uses OpenGL.
Is something that is quite difficult to notice and so it's far better using it on Mac... The graphic is quite the same.

I run WoW in 2560x1600 on Ultra settings on my Intel Core i7 2600k, 16GB 1600mhz RAM and Radeon HD 6870 1GB. +100FPS eveywhere, but I wouldn't except anything less. :)

andreasburmester said:
I run WoW in 2560x1600 on Ultra settings on my Intel Core i7 2600k, 16GB 1600mhz RAM and Radeon HD 6870 1GB. +100FPS eveywhere, but I wouldn't except anything less. :)

I have the exact same system, running a lower resolution, and never break 60 FPS, in fact, I have to actually turn down some of the graphics to good or high to achieve perfectly smooth gameplay.... please share your secret :). Are you running in Windows or Mac?

Streetlight said:
andreasburmester said:

I have the exact same system, running a lower resolution, and never break 60 FPS, in fact, I have to actually turn down some of the graphics to good or high to achieve perfectly smooth gameplay.... please share your secret :). Are you running in Windows or Mac?

With my 5770 1GB I am getting 80+ fps in the wild, and 100+ in dungeons/raids, Ultra settings in OS X. However, you must turn off sunshafts. I bet Andreasburmester has them turned off as well. There is no way, even with a 5870, will you run 100+ fps with it enabled. I know this because my brother has a 5970 2GB, and sunshafts kills performance, and that's in Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back