Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello hackintosh-ers! this is my first post.

First, i apologize im not too geeky about all this stuff :crazy: but I'd like to ask some advice about the spec im about to build here. the plan is to have a dual boot workstation with windows and osx.. since i have to use both for my work

while i see people managed to get it working in other posts with little issues, im fully aware that x79 isn't fully supported yet. so basically im ready to do a bit of gambling here.

so here's the spec:

• Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel with USB BIOS

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

GFX: ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI

Bay 1: OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Bay 2: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

OD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Cooling: Intel BXRTS2011LC Liquid-cooled Thermal Solution For the LGA2011 Socket

Case: RAIDMAX Seiran ATX-902WB Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

is there are any flaws about this spec? especially for dual-booting, am i gonna need an extra drive?

Thanks very much and I will appreciate any feedbacks :)

i know its not the safest, but my plan is to build a long-lasting high end desktop workstation, so mainstream 2600k and old lga1366 chips aren't quite an option

could you refer me to those other forums you mentioned? im curious to see...

WonkeyDonkey said:
Thats a lot to spend on something that is unsupported. Its been confirmed in several forums that it is not working and not stable...

I agree it is not stable or supported decently to purchase this hardware. It has already been tried on here and some have even sold the hardware for their Ivy bridge setups. Go with the Z68 1155 boards with Sandy CPU and upgrade to Ivy a few months after April.

Take a look at the custom mac page.

It would be a total waste to purchase this hardware without any stabe support or performance. You would be just buying it to install Windows 7/8/. :sick:

X79 Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=39567&start=0

i totally see your point. however since im doing 3d work (no gaming), lga2011 is more superior and better investment. especially with the powerful ivy bridge E and xeon based EP possible upgrades in the future.

so my plan is im gonna try it anyway and see if i have luck like these guys viewtopic.php?f=169&t=39495&start=30 .

if i fail, i just have to work with win7 until tonymac support it. hopefully about weeks after the mac pro is out in march with the new sandy bridge xeons

I've successfully hackintoshed my x79 setup, it works quite well, but there are still some issues like Power management, Sleep, USB-3 (obviously) and several untested stuff. I wouldn't recommend an inexperienced hackintosh user to upgrade to x79 at the moment but if you know your way around the hackcommunity and know the solutions to some of the potential problems that may arise, go ahead. Basically If you've built hackintoshes before it will probably be fine.
viewtopic.php?p=273474#p273474

Hopefully Apple will release new mac pro this quarter and it can only get better :)

I'm certainly interested to see what Apple does regarding the Mac Pro. Its well overdue an update now. And with a newer graphics card on offer, it might also mean better graphics support for us Hackintoshers too !

My main concerns over X79 right now are :

1. Price. As always with new gear of course.
2. Performance. Ive read somewhere that the X79 is a greenhouse heater in disguise, and also that it doesnt perform as well as Intel had originally planned due to it being pushed out before it was properly ready.

What Apple will make of this performance issue remains to be seen of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back