Contribute
Register

[Works] Sapphire 6450 512MB full CI/QE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, didn't bother with HDMI as I didn't need it and my current solution would require reworking audio again (hard with alc892!) so that I wasn't using an enabler and could test.

Here's that ROM though, hope it works :)

Attachments

• 1002_6779_e164174b.rom.zip
    38.7 KB · Views: 115
claes said:
Sorry guys, didn't bother with HDMI as I didn't need it and my current solution would require reworking audio again (hard with alc892!) so that I wasn't using an enabler and could test.

Thanks, I will try it out. Hopefully it works.

osx86geek said:
claes said:

Thanks, I will try it out. Hopefully it works.

Ok, I can't seem to get the ROM to load in Chimera. When I have the UseAtiRom set to true it just hangs before loading any extensions. What I have figured out is that my HDMI port works with the Juncus personality. Every thing works so far, right now I'm installing Portal 2 to see if it will work.

Glad to hear it's working! About the ROM, are you using "true" or "yes"? Is the ROM in your /Extra folder? Boot.plist should be:

<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

The performance increase wasn't huge with the ROM but it should help out with games. If you're still having trouble getting it to load you might try techpowerup's vga bios repository, Sapphire may have made two versions. Look at the second line on the details page of each card to find your matching model number/version. Good luck!

claes said:
Glad to hear it's working! About the ROM, are you using "true" or "yes"? Is the ROM in your /Extra folder? Boot.plist should be:

<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

The performance increase wasn't huge with the ROM but it should help out with games. If you're still having trouble getting it to load you might try techpowerup's vga bios repository, Sapphire may have made two versions. Look at the second line on the details page of each card to find your matching model number/version. Good luck!

Ok, well I ran Cinebench, and I got 14 FPS on the 6450, and 10 of my old 4550. It did better! lol When I use that flag, it won't boot, it just stays in Chimera for some reason. I don't know why its doing it... This is the screen it gives me when the ROM is in the Extra folder, and UseAtiROM is set to Yes:

photo.JPG

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 291
That's weird... I don't know why that could be... looks like it worked to me, but I don't know if Chimera outputs a message if loading the ROM fails or if it's a bad ROM or something. You might try using AtiPorts and see if that makes a difference.

Quick aside, I neglected to mention the naming convention for an extracted ROM, which probably isn't your problem but may be? Another user PM'd me about it, so to be certain I thought I'd post here. The full path to the ROM should be:
/Extra/<vendorid>_<devid>_<subsysid>.rom

So, in my card's case:
/Extra/1002_6779_e164174b.rom

Or course this will vary for every iteration of the 6450, so check in a terminal:
Code:
sudo lspci -nnvd 0x1002: | grep -B2 Subsystem

If you get an "unknown device" try updating with the following and try again:
Code:
sudo update-pciids

claes said:
That's weird... I don't know why that could be... looks like it worked to me, but I don't know if Chimera outputs a message if loading the ROM fails or if it's a bad ROM or something. You might try using AtiPorts and see if that makes a difference.

Quick aside, I neglected to mention the naming convention for an extracted ROM, which probably isn't your problem but may be? Another user PM'd me about it, so to be certain I thought I'd post here. The full path to the ROM should be:
/Extra/<vendorid>_<devid>_<subsysid>.rom

So, in my card's case:
/Extra/1002_6779_e164174b.rom

Or course this will vary for every iteration of the 6450, so check in a terminal:
Code:

If you get an "unknown device" try updating with the following and try again:
Code:
sudo update-pciids

For some reason lspci gives me a 'can't find a working access method.' So I dumped my own ROM and decoded it using bcc9's tool. I got the subsystem ID, it is e164, but the subsystem ID on your filename is much longer. Also, DVI doesn't work, did you get it working?

Thanks!

Ah, you need to include the information after the colon. Instructions aren't very clear on this.

P.S. I used this thread for reference to get my card to work.

The first thing to do is to install the above items and to also grab the IDs for your current card using System Profiler > Graphics and also lscpi tools v1.1. To get the full IDs then run the following in Terminal and enter your password when needed
Code:

And you should get something like:
Code:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68b8] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:21d7]
--
02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa58]
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device [1458:aa58]
This shows that the Video controller on the graphics card has the following IDs:
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x68b8
Subsystem ID : 1458:21d7

Just thought I'd let anybody who's interested know that (thanks to some good advice from Claes) I was able to get my MSI R6450 (device id 0x6779) fully recognised in system profiler merely by changing the framebuffer to Juncus and then writing that to my chameleon boot file (forgive me if my terminology's not correct but I'm sure you get my gist).

ioreg | grep ATY now outputs:

"| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024b, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024c, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024d, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024e, registered,$"

DVD player works, and the menu bar has the expected translucence.
The only thing I'm not getting is the full monty ripple effect in Dashboard but I'm sure I can live without that small pleasure. :p

Thanks again to Claes for the help and hope this info's of use to someone else.
Cheers
P

Proletaire said:
Just thought I'd let anybody who's interested know that (thanks to some good advice from Claes) I was able to get my MSI R6450 (device id 0x6779) fully recognised in system profiler merely by changing the framebuffer to Juncus and then writing that to my chameleon boot file (forgive me if my terminology's not correct but I'm sure you get my gist).

ioreg | grep ATY now outputs:

"| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@0 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024b, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@1 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024c, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@2 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024d, registered,$
| | | | +-o ATY,Juncus@3 <class AtiFbStub, id 0x10000024e, registered,$"

DVD player works, and the menu bar has the expected translucence.
The only thing I'm not getting is the full monty ripple effect in Dashboard but I'm sure I can live without that small pleasure. :p

Thanks again to Claes for the help and hope this info's of use to someone else.
Cheers
P

I had the same outturn, except VGA and DVI doesn't work. Only HDMI works for me. Does DVI work for you? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back