Contribute
Register

Worklog - Mac Pro case

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is looking real good man! :clap:
Btw how much was that Mac Pro case looks brand new, im modding a G5 case as well but im also considerig modding a Mac Pro case.
Also 2 ssds in raid 0?! Now thats speed!

P0w

Thanks.

It was £150 and it is brand new. I was fortunate enough to get it off someone who was planning to build up their own mac pro part by part but had given up so was selling all the bits.

I've got some time in a metal workshop tomorrow so hopefully will get a few more bits done.

What would be easier to make? I think making two separate parts would be. This wouldn't really change how it was mounted or fixed to the case either, I don't think. If they are separate the tray must have at least 4 posts right. And the back plate could be mounted either flush using jb weld and a lot of sanding, or with angle iron/aluminium at the bottom of the case.
If they were fixed together, the tray would maybe only need 2 posts, and the you would need to be able to slide them both straight out the back. But if you plan on jb'ing the back plate on, it wont be removable anyway, so what are your plans for mounting this stuff, and future updates.
Are the original pci slots going to be used with the back plate as it doesnt have any of the dividers that are normally there.

Gus

Hi Gus,

I'm still currently working on the drawings. I'm planning on using the original PCI slots and extend this to having 7 slots to fully support the board.

I think I'm going to weld on the backing as it'll give a better finish (there won't be any gaps) and I rarely take my motherboard out.

If i need to take my motherboard out, I can unscrew the mounts on the motherboard tray and the tray can then be removed.

I'm going to be reusing the original fan cover as well in the back of the case.

To be honest this is my first ever proper mod. I'm sure there is something I haven't thought about yet.

I will also be modifying the hard drive trays to give more room at the back of the drive (there is about an inch and a half gap at the front)

to do this I'm going to cut off the legs of them, trim them down and plan to re-weld them the other way round back onto the front of the sled.

This will make them shorter and allow me to still use the same trays.

What welder are you going to use? I'm terrible at welding, but anyway would it need to be low current for the aluminium?

And that is just part of the fun of modding. Well I say fun, annoyance, pain, learning experience I find they are all interchangeable.

How do you plan to add the two pci slots? Just have a screw hole on top and no piece of metal running between the cards.

Gus

I'm not 100% on that part yet, as said in a previous post I've got a few hours in a metal workshop tomorrow so thought I'd have a play around with parts and different methods to see what works best.

I think I'm going to extend the frame, then if i can get it in a strip of metal and screw holes.

I think this would be the best way of doing it trying to keep as much of the stock look as well.

How goes it?
I haven't done anything with mine yet. What are your plans with the PSU? Do you have a Pro one?
That is what I am trying to figure out in between Cube work lol
If I am to buy a Pro PSU it will not be cheap as I have yet to find a bad one lol.

Hi eelhead,

I haven't really done much work on this to be honest other then getting parts as my degree is getting in the way at the moment.

I've given it lots and lots of thoughts, and looked at lots of designs and have sort of come to a conclusion as to what i'm going to do though.

I've cut the whole of the back of the case in preparation for the new back panel

Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 26.jpg

I've also cut the shelf down to 3/4's of it's original size to allow for the mobo to be higher up in the case.

Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 55.jpg

Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 38.jpg

I've changed this design a lot from the original, and decided to mount the motherboard higher up so it doesn't protrude through the bottom of the case.

Then hopefully the PSU is going to go above the motherboard where the original would have sat (but higher up).

I'm then going to put a HDD rack to the left of the motherboard.

I originally planned to get a pro psu but am in the same situation as you're, they are ridiculously expensive and cannot find a busted one.

I'm still trying to figure the cooling out in it as want to put 3 120's in there (at least) planning two on the front and then one on the back for my H80.

I'm hoping I'll get the time to do a lot more work on it at the end of march, but am in my final year so am doing a hell of a lot of work on my engineering course at the moment.

Hows the cube going?

edit: I have no idea why the images are rotated, they're the correct way up on my computer :?

edit 2: oh I've also realised i'm going to have to edit the dvd drive caddy so the motherboard will fit in.

Attachments

• Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 26.jpg
    Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 26.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 306
  • Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 38.jpg
    Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 38.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 305
  • Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 55.jpg
    Photo 29-02-2012 19 01 55.jpg
    946.7 KB · Views: 255
I will update the Cube thread soon, almost done with all three.

I can't wait to see your rear mad panel.
As for cooling, I was thinking the H80 as well and utilize it in the front stock fan area for the rad mounting if it fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back