Contribute
Register

Worklog - Mac Pro case

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have already got that gigabyte to work. I have it waiting to go. Just have other projects in front. Also, there are always DSDT updates for the GA boards, although i haven't looked there may well be a dsdt for the asus board too.

Thanks Gus,

There isn't on the database, but have seen other people saying they've used it in their hacks.

Having used an Asus p8z68 deluxe in my first build and a Gigabyte GA-Z68-UD3-iSSD in my second, I really prefer the Asus even though they are a little bit more work initially.

The Audio shouldn't be a huge problem as I have B & W mm1's which connect over usb so not to worried, is just the ethernet as there are no real details on what these are.

Will do a bit more research before ordering.

If you don't desperately need rj45, use wireless? If it's not an option then obviously keep having a search. Any particular reason why? I have to confess, when choosing parts I go and find all the same specs ect then choose the "coolest" looking one. With colours and such like haha.
Gus

tom.humphrey said:
is just the ethernet as there are no real details on what these are.
the lan controller used on the Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 is the Intel 82579.
theres a kext for it included in multibeast, hnak's AppleIntelE1000e kext.

the same controller is used on a lot of asus boards, mine included, and works fine.

My computer sits right next to my router so there is no point to have a wireless connection + it acts as a server, so is faster and more reliable over wired.

Brilliant samisnake, that was the info I was looking for. I just could only see 'Intel controller' on Asus' website. Yeah have used it on my old P8Z68 deluxe and my friends P8P67 Deluxe.

think I'm going to go for the Asus one.

Right, change of plan

Having done even more research I've taken inspiration from an aqua mac build and I'm going to use a full ATX board.

This will be done by cutting a whole in the base of the case to allow for the length of the motherboard.

Pictures are from the aqua mac page

macprobase.jpeg

macprobase2.jpeg

backpanel4.jpeg

This will allow me to still use all 4 Hard Drive bays with an ATX board.

What is the box for the ssd? Just a 2.5" to 3.5" housing?
Gus

The box is a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter, but it allows you to put two 2.5 inch drives in there. I've got them configured in RAID 0 using two 256 GB ssd's.

I've included the link if you want to read more. Haven't tested it yet but looks good.

ICY Dock Dock

tom.humphrey said:
The box is a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter, but it allows you to put two 2.5 inch drives in there. I've got them configured in RAID 0 using two 256 GB ssd's.

I've included the link if you want to read more. Haven't tested it yet but looks good.

ICY Dock Dock

I've got one of those in my G5 hack - I've just got two regular 2.5" 500GB disks in it but they run in Raid 0 faster than my 3.5" as a single 1TB volume.... so with two SSDs it should really motor along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back