Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I am running WHS2011 as my home server and have been looking for a way to use it for Time Machine backups for my Mountain Lion Hack.

For a while i was achieving this through Freenas 8 running as a virtual machine on top of WHS2011, but transfer speeds never reached more than around 15 MB/s (WHS2011 is installed on a small HP Microserver with a relatively slow 1.3GHz dual core CPU.

After doing my homework on Google I have now a working iscsi connection reaching sustained transfer speeds up to and over 100MB/s!

These are in short the steps I took:
- on the home server, install the free iSCSI target software from Starwind (http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-free, registration required)
- on the server, create a big enough volume in the form of a virtualized .img disk
- on the hack, install this older but free iSCSI initiator software from GlobalSAN: http://www.snsftp.com/public/globalsan/Legacy/globalSAN_4.1.0.279.dmg
- now, installation of this is a bit of a pain; installation never fully completed without an error message and it took a couple of re-boots/re-installs before the prefpane showed up in system preferences.
- i then pointed towards the target, using the identifier generated on the server and marked the target as persistent to make sure the connection is automatically established upon booting.
- Mountain Lion then recognised the new volume and suggested to initialise it in the disk utility. Voila!

So far it works great, with however one drawback; if the server is not running when waking from sleep, ML tends to become unstable, so i need to look into this a bit further and possibly unmount the back-up volume to avoid this, as my home server is not always on (automatically hibernates when not in use).

I am curious if others have found this solution as well or what other solutions there might be to use Windows Servers as Time Machine back-up destinations.

[edit:] Initially I tried using Microsoft's iSCSI software target (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1986. Even though it doesn't want to, you can force it to install on WHS 2011 by editing the .MSI installer file using Orca) but this doesn't work; you need the target software from Starwind.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 11.28.33.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 11.28.33.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 714
I am running WHS2011 as my home server and have been looking for a way to use it for Time Machine backups for my Mountain Lion Hack.

For a while i was achieving this through Freenas 8 running as a virtual machine on top of WHS2011, but transfer speeds never reached more than around 15 MB/s (WHS2011 is installed on a small HP Microserver with a relatively slow 1.3GHz dual core CPU.

After doing my homework on Google I have now a working iscsi connection reaching sustained transfer speeds up to and over 100MB/s!

These are in short the steps I took:
- on the home server, install the free iSCSI target software from Starwind (http://www.starwindsoftware.com/starwind-free, registration required)
- on the server, create a big enough volume in the form of a virtualized .img disk
- on the hack, install this older but free iSCSI initiator software from GlobalSAN: http://www.snsftp.com/public/globalsan/Legacy/globalSAN_4.1.0.279.dmg
- now, installation of this is a bit of a pain; installation never fully completed without an error message and it took a couple of re-boots/re-installs before the prefpane showed up in system preferences.
- i then pointed towards the target, using the identifier generated on the server and marked the target as persistent to make sure the connection is automatically established upon booting.
- Mountain Lion then recognised the new volume and suggested to initialise it in the disk utility. Voila!

So far it works great, with however one drawback; if the server is not running when waking from sleep, ML tends to become unstable, so i need to look into this a bit further and possibly unmount the back-up volume to avoid this, as my home server is not always on (automatically hibernates when not in use).

I am curious if others have found this solution as well or what other solutions there might be to use Windows Servers as Time Machine back-up destinations.

[edit:] Initially I tried using Microsoft's iSCSI software target (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=1986. Even though it doesn't want to, you can force it to install on WHS 2011 by editing the .MSI installer file using Orca) but this doesn't work; you need the target software from Starwind.

Have you thought about and/or tested your strategy for bare-metal restoration? Just wondering...

I use time machine for docs, versioning, single (kext)file retrieval only.

For bare metal i have a working install on usb hdd which i use every once in while to back-up my system partition using CCC. Fairly primitive but very reliable!

I use time machine for docs, versioning, single (kext)file retrieval only.

For bare metal i have a working install on usb hdd which i use every once in while to back-up my system partition using CCC. Fairly primitive but very reliable!

I wondered because I also considered using iSCSI on my WHS 2011 server for TM backups. I already have the Microsoft free iSCSI server installed for other purposes. Up to this point, I use TM on a portable USB drive and it works great for one-off restores as well as bare-metal restores.

Using iSCSI for TM would require me to figure out how to get wireless or ethernet to work on my Unibeast "recovery" USB stick and would require iSCSI target software on there too. Or perhaps there would be a way to attach the target to a Windows computer to copy the TM data to a USB drive to use in the case of bare-metal restore. At any rate, I decided it all sounded a little sketchy, so decided against it.

BTW, you can also use Disk Utility to create disk images for bare-metal restore...

Thank you so much for this. I was looking for an alternate method to do my backups to WHS 2011 and this worked great.

I was previously using VirtualBox with linux and netatalk, but that was slow and unreliable. This worked great!

Working: Time Machine back-up on Windows Home Server 2011 using Virtual NAS

Setting up the iSCSI support on both mac and win-server did not work for me as expected.
Right now i got a virtual machine running on my WHS2011, offering full timemachine AFP support.
One could go with a linux/netatalk distro but this may lack a comfortable gui or is only applicable for 32bit.

I have a virtual NAS system running, xpenology which is based on Synnology´s Diskstation.
It offers much more than just AFP (i even considered switching from WHS) got a desktop-like webinterface
and does not need much RAM (unlike FreeNAS).
On my HP N54L Microserver with 6GB RAM everything is running well..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back