Contribute
Register

Workaround for - no GPU output - Black Screen RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
What version of Clover did you update to, to fix this?

I am running 5103

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 11.16.08 PM.png

How did you update clover without being able to boot into mac os? I am stuck with a black screen. I updated WEG and Lilu
Why dont you use another mac to update the boot disk and go from there? Thats what i did.

I have a Vega 56, all worked, until I switched from FakeSMC to VirtualSMC. It worked for a day, I even restarted the computer multiple times. But last night, I turned off the hack and in the morning, I got hit with the black screen. Tried switching to HDMI, nothing. DOnt know what to do, I will try to revert to FakeSMC, wish me luck

EDIT: Tried to disable the IGPU in BIOS, tried agdpmod=pikera... nothing. I am now trying to restore 10.15.3 and will try to use FakeSMC again. Hope that helps but its extremely time consuming.

Last edited:
I have been having the similar problems today trying to do the update from Mohave to Catalina. I initially had the issue of not getting a bootable install when trying to do the simply update process so then went to do a clean install using the USB installer created with Unibeast. Install looked to be successful, but I had no video output with either IG or my
Radeon RX 570 on either DP or HDMI. I had already updated Clover to r5110, but hadn't grabbed the latest kexts. I was able to boot the restore partition and restored my Mohave build from TimeMachine. I have also downloaded the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen, placed them in the EFI partition of both my USB installer and my main drive. I also deleted the duplicates from L/E folder. I'm going to have dinner and then try the upgrade again. Hopefully my next post will be successful or coming from my iPad looking for additional help. Wish me luck!

I have been having the similar problems today trying to do the update from Mohave to Catalina. I initially had the issue of not getting a bootable install when trying to do the simply update process so then went to do a clean install using the USB installer created with Unibeast. Install looked to be successful, but I had no video output with either IG or my
Radeon RX 570 on either DP or HDMI. I had already updated Clover to r5110, but hadn't grabbed the latest kexts. I was able to boot the restore partition and restored my Mohave build from TimeMachine. I have also downloaded the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen, placed them in the EFI partition of both my USB installer and my main drive. I also deleted the duplicates from L/E folder. I'm going to have dinner and then try the upgrade again. Hopefully my next post will be successful or coming from my iPad looking for additional help. Wish me luck!

OK, I'm still stuck. This time, I got further and got to the point where I could copy my data from TimeMachine backup. Unfortunately, when that finished, I couldn't boot with video working. I get to Clover and select the newly installed Catalina install and I get no video output. Calling it a night and will try a few other things in the morning. Any ideas would be appreciated.

OK, I'm still stuck. This time, I got further and got to the point where I could copy my data from TimeMachine backup. Unfortunately, when that finished, I couldn't boot with video working. I get to Clover and select the newly installed Catalina install and I get no video output. Calling it a night and will try a few other things in the morning. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Try hitting the space bar once and select “boot without injected kexts” find the Orher folder where you keep Whatevergreen and check the box next to it. Try booting it disables WEG.

Try hitting the space bar once and select “boot without injected kexts” find the Orher folder where you keep Whatevergreen and check the box next to it. Try booting it disables WEG.

Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I've rebuilt my machine into Mohave which is stable. I'm going to pickup a new SSD and try a completely fresh install (although I did that after wiping my existing drive and still had problems). If that doesn't work, I'll just stick with Mohave until the next version of MacOS is release and try again then.

Replacing the Clover folder in the EFI worked for me.

In my system, the Catalina install from UniBeast went smoothly. But after installing Clover from Multibeast (with Lilu and Whatevergreen) the system would restart midway through the boot (right at that point where the graphics seem to switch over).

I tried a bunch of things with the config.plist without success. I also tried updating Clover with Clover Configurator, but that made my system completely unbootable.

A trick that has worked for me in the past, and which appears to have worked again, is to replace the Clover folder in the (non-working) system EFI with the Clover folder from the (working) install EFI.

Now, I suppose I should try to diagnose exactly what is different in the two folders. But my curiosity is suddenly diminished now that I have a system that boots and even sleeps.

The system is:
  • GA-Z170x-UD5 TH
  • Sapphire RX-580 4GB
  • Catalina 10.15.7
NB: If you do this you probably want to use MultiBeast or Clover Configurator to update your system definition, otherwise your system will be whatever is in the config.plist on the installation drive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back