Contribute
Register

[Work in progress] Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E130 core i3 Ivy Bridge 33589ZA

Status
Not open for further replies.
No go on trying to figure out Power Management~

If i use an smbios.plist + ssdt.aml i only get the processor stuck at 1,89 and does not go lower

If i remove smbios + ssdt.aml and enable P/C states generation chameleon boot.plist (i use chameleon bootloader), it will detect the machine as an iMac and will have a variety of P-states (but as RehabMan pointed out, they are Sandy Bridge PM)

what am i missing? note: my DSDT is only patched with the 03 HDMI patch and nothing else, are there any other patches necessary for Ivy Bridge board?

attach is the ioreg of the current setting (detected as iMac :D)
View attachment kitsuneudonPM.ioreg

Got Ethernet fixed with Mieze kext for RTE8111, no dreaded private IP address disease, DHCP works, setting is at automatic

Now off to troubleshoot Power Management!

No go on trying to figure out Power Management~

If i use an smbios.plist + ssdt.aml i only get the processor stuck at 1,89 and does not go lower

If i remove smbios + ssdt.aml and enable P/C states generation chameleon boot.plist (i use chameleon bootloader), it will detect the machine as an iMac and will have a variety of P-states (but as RehabMan pointed out, they are Sandy Bridge PM)

what am i missing? note: my DSDT is only patched with the 03 HDMI patch and nothing else, are there any other patches necessary for Ivy Bridge board?

attach is the ioreg of the current setting (detected as iMac :D)
View attachment 67718

You don't want to use iMac if trying to implement Ivy PM. All the iMac sysdefs disable a bit of PM because it is more of a desktop scenario (battery or heat is not an issue).

To implement Ivy PM, you need MacMini, MacBookPro, or MacBookAir sysdef. For the CPUs with 'U' suffix, MacBookAir5,x is best. If you want to try again, reply with DPCIManager pstate output, or MSRDumple.kext output and ioreg dump.

More checklist items for Ivy PM:
- SSDT built for Ivy PM (easiest to use ProBook Installer)
- appropriate sysdef (discussed above)
- DropSSDT=Yes, GeneratePStates=No, GenerateCStates=No
- no rollbacks of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (must run current version)
- no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (usually implies patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)
- Processor objects declared in Scope (_SB) in DSDT (pretty rare not to have them in OEM DSDT)

- SSDT for Ivy i can use ssdtPRGen.app (but will try using the probook tool too)
- sysdef i have the MBAir5,2 smbios.plist
- i can set that on my chameleon boot.plist
- no rollbacks of AppleACPIPlatform? oh no, i use a modified one for VoodooBattery.kext... you think i should try restoring it and see if it will work this time?
- already removed NullCPUpowermanagement.kext
- not sure about this but lets try re-replacing the ACPI kext first and see how it goes

You don't want to use iMac if trying to implement Ivy PM. All the iMac sysdefs disable a bit of PM because it is more of a desktop scenario (battery or heat is not an issue).

To implement Ivy PM, you need MacMini, MacBookPro, or MacBookAir sysdef. For the CPUs with 'U' suffix, MacBookAir5,x is best. If you want to try again, reply with DPCIManager pstate output, or MSRDumple.kext output and ioreg dump.

More checklist items for Ivy PM:
- SSDT built for Ivy PM (easiest to use ProBook Installer)
- appropriate sysdef (discussed above)
- DropSSDT=Yes, GeneratePStates=No, GenerateCStates=No
- no rollbacks of AppleACPIPlatform.kext (must run current version)
- no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (usually implies patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)
- Processor objects declared in Scope (_SB) in DSDT (pretty rare not to have them in OEM DSDT)

- SSDT for Ivy i can use ssdtPRGen.app (but will try using the probook tool too)

You can use Pike's script, but you'll need to be sure it is renamed to /Extra/ssdt.aml. For some reason, the script writes it to /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml which does not work.

The ProBook Installer contains a (slightly) modified version of Pike's script. The result is the same.

- sysdef i have the MBAir5,2 smbios.plist
- i can set that on my chameleon boot.plist

Should be good.

- no rollbacks of AppleACPIPlatform? oh no, i use a modified one for VoodooBattery.kext... you think i should try restoring it and see if it will work this time?

No rollbacks. Ivy PM is only enabled using the latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Rollbacks are a bad idea, anyway. Use DSDT patches instead to make ACPI battery methods work. I use my own battery manager: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver

- already removed NullCPUpowermanagement.kext
- not sure about this but lets try re-replacing the ACPI kext first and see how it goes

Cool. Sounds like the missing component might have been that you had the wrong AppleACPIPlatform.

Got a KP during boot :( revert back to previous setting for now huhuhuhuhuhu :banghead:

IMG_20130919_234645.jpg

You can use Pike's script, but you'll need to be sure it is renamed to /Extra/ssdt.aml. For some reason, the script writes it to /Extra/ssdt_pr.aml which does not work.

The ProBook Installer contains a (slightly) modified version of Pike's script. The result is the same.

Should be good.

No rollbacks. Ivy PM is only enabled using the latest AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Rollbacks are a bad idea, anyway. Use DSDT patches instead to make ACPI battery methods work. I use my own battery manager: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Battery-Driver

Cool. Sounds like the missing component might have been that you had the wrong AppleACPIPlatform.

Got a KP during boot :( revert back to previous setting for now huhuhuhuhuhu :banghead:

View attachment 67732

You need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Either that or your SSDT or sysdef is not right.

Also, your version# on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is wrong (there is no version 1111.0). You may have a bad kext.

Current version in 10.8.5 is 214.0. And I think 10.8.4 was 196.0 (I could be wrong and don't have a 10.8.4 install handy). What version is this?

for the patched kext, i use the one from multibeast and the version is correct....i'm not sure how it shows up as version 1111 on the screen

You need patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement. Either that or your SSDT or sysdef is not right.

Also, your version# on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is wrong (there is no version 1111.0). You may have a bad kext.

Current version in 10.8.5 is 214.0. And I think 10.8.4 was 196.0 (I could be wrong and don't have a 10.8.4 install handy). What version is this?

for the patched kext, i use the one from multibeast and the version is correct....i'm not sure how it shows up as version 1111 on the screen

The one in Multibeast 5.4.3 is 196.0.

Maybe you have a kext loading from somewhere you least expect. Boot "-f" and check output of bdmesg in Terminal to determine where.

Retried with same result but at least now it says version 196, not sure what causes the KP though because i've never seen such error message before but it looks like a dependency error

BTW i'm getting those [Fatal] found unsupported ship error from kozlek FakeSMC (installed from multibeast), any idea on how to fix it?

IMG_20130920_023047.jpg

The one in Multibeast 5.4.3 is 196.0.

Maybe you have a kext loading from somewhere you least expect. Boot "-f" and check output of bdmesg in Terminal to determine where.

Retried with same result but at least now it says version 196, not sure what causes the KP though because i've never seen such error message before but it looks like a dependency error

Looks more like it could be a problem with the SSDT. Step 29 doesn't seem valid for an i3 that is only 1.9Ghz (eg. x19 is largest valid multiplier). But I could be wrong about what is meant by step 29.

Are you sure you added DropSSDT=Yes to org.chameleon.boot.plist. Might be a good idea to post it. And your SSDT too. Output from bdmesg with a boot with "-f" might be a good idea too. I'll see if I can see anything wrong.

BTW i'm getting those [Fatal] found unsupported ship error from kozlek FakeSMC (installed from multibeast), any idea on how to fix it?

It is from FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns/LPCSensors.kext. If you don't want to see the message, you can remove it, but it is harmless. Just LPCSensors saying it doesn't detect a supported chip (I'm pretty sure 'ship' should have been 'chip').

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back