i7-7700T
Graphics
GTX960
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
so, figured out wich one was for the LED with a little help from ******.

Can the ground cable be shared by 2 functions? in this case led and powerswitch.

http://imgur.com/a/23G0P

Yes. However you should read this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-m...kpro-gigabyte-z68mx-ud2h-b3-mac-pro-case.html as much Mac Pro hacking detail is to be found there.
Also you can read my thread from my Mac Pro hack for additional detail: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/28892-neilharts-mac-pro-hack.html

Good modding,
neil

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, I red the posts of Mooner and on Aquamac for the power switch and led connection but in my case I can't do like this. :
macprofrontpanela-jpg.10071

My project is to remove the front panel pcb and replace it with an home made one with usb 3.1/usb c, but keeping the Apple power switch.

Is it possible to just use the same ground for the power switch and led, and plugging the 4 pins directly to the mb ?
I assume it shouldn't be a problem, and it was probably how Apple did it (for a switch and a led you need a + and a - on each component, unless you're a magician) but I prefer asking it anyway like it seems nobody did it yet
Capture d’écran 2019-05-28 à 20.08.30.png

Motherboard
Intel S2600cp
CPU
2 x E5-4657Lv2
Graphics
Nvidia p400
Hi, I red the posts of Mooner and on Aquamac for the power switch and led connection but in my case I can't do like this. :

My project is to remove the front panel pcb and replace it with an home made one with usb 3.1/usb c, but keeping the Apple power switch.

Is it possible to just use the same ground for the power switch and led, and plugging the 4 pins directly to the mb ?
I assume it shouldn't be a problem, and it was probably how Apple did it (for a switch and a led you need a + and a - on each component, unless you're a magician) but I prefer asking it anyway like it seems nobody did it yet
View attachment 408673

I would strongly suggest not to split up the ground in 2 parts. Electrically it is not needed, and there is a risk of shorting the MB if you connect it wrongly. Here I am speaking from my own experience!

On my G5 I connected the power switch and ground to the MB power on pins. The single power led lead I connected to the HD led pin on the MB. This works as expected. I tried first to connect the led to the PWR_LED on the MB. this resulted in the led always being on if the power supply was on. Experimenting I found it working while connected to the HD led pin. It is not blinking but steady. Of course this depends on your MB.

Best Regards
Peter

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx-Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would strongly suggest not to split up the ground in 2 parts. Electrically it is not needed, and there is a risk of shorting the MB if you connect it wrongly. Here I am speaking from my own experience!

On my G5 I connected the power switch and ground to the MB power on pins. The single power led lead I connected to the HD led pin on the MB. This works as expected. I tried first to connect the led to the PWR_LED on the MB. this resulted in the led always being on if the power supply was on. Experimenting I found it working while connected to the HD led pin. It is not blinking but steady. Of course this depends on your MB.

Best Regards
Peter

Thanks for your answer !
Strange that with your PWR_LED your led was always on.
Anyway thanks for the advice, I wasn't sure that on a MB the PWR_LED- and PW_ON- could be at the same potential.

Motherboard
B365M Pro4
CPU
i5-9600
Graphics
Radeon HD4770

View attachment 408673

View attachment 408673

View attachment 408673
I have a question regarding Mooner's post as well? What are pins 1,2,3,4 used for? Mooner hooked it up to the main power plug. Are these pins needed? Did he piggy-back those 4 wires into the Molex Connector and how the heck do you do that -- if that's what was done?

Status
Not open for further replies.