XFX Radeon 6870 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
UPDATED: July 8, 2012

Here is a quick and dirty run-down of support under OS X Lion for P8Z77-V Deluxe solutions based around a build I am planing on doing. I don't have these components but this is a compilation of information and experiences in about a dozen other topics across several sites. If you have definitive results for updating or correcting information here please reply with them. If you want to complain about this being duplicate information or pushed into its own topic then I am sorry, but right now consistent information about this or ANY Z77 based mobo is just a pain scattered across dozens of pages in two or three different threads with only occasional insight into this particular or similar platform targets. The goal is 100% functioning using only the standard fare (Chimera, DSDT edits, and the occasional kext for third-party hardware/components). That means no rollbacks every update, no editing plists, etc.

Intel Z77 chipset [DSDT on page 7 or 8, Use Ivy Bridge Enabler/helper for native Z77 support, use IB patched power enabler from MultiBeast 4.6 ]

Ivy Bridge CPU [Use Bridge Helper]

Intel HD 4000 [UNKNOWN]

Nvidia 680 GTX [Working /w 10.6.4 IvyBridge macbook build Kext]

Marvell PCIe 9128 SATA 3 [UNKNOWN]

ASMedia PCIe SATA 3 [UNKNOWN]

Intel 82579V Gigabit LAN [needs hank's kext here]
Realtek 8111F Gigabit LAN [Use RTL81xx OS X Driver 0.0.90 or latter]

Built-in WiFi (AGBN) [UNKNOWN]
Built-in BT 4.0 [UNKNOWN]

Realtek ALC898 [Interim KEXT/Solution available here]

ASMedia USB 3.0 [Use multi-beast to enable, not optimal as it doesnt hit full USB 3.0 speeds but it does work after reboot.]

10.7 Install:
- USB ports on the back appear to be run off of the Intel Z77 USB 3.0 (top) and the ASMedia with the VLI hub powering the remaining 4. These wont work OOB, so you need a modified installer with the USB 3.0 drivers installed or use a USB 2.0 header to connect your mouse and keyboard with to install.
- Set UEFI/BIOS to Legacy for now. (again remember to set AHCI for

NOTES:
- Z77 is now supported by a special build of 10.6.4 distributed for the new Ivy Bridge MBPs and MBAs. I still recomend waiting for 10.7 before building your Ivy bridge hackintosh since we are just WEEKs or days away from 10.7 being released to the public and there will be a LOT less hackery around the edges of finding special patchers and injectors for adding those missing files from vanilla 10.6.4
- I consider Vanilla as working "out of the box" with a non-nightly Chameleon/Chimera build without modification of system files or additional drivers. Understand DSDT edits may still be necessary for flawless functioning and full support… I will note those but I still consider it Vanilla because you can "set it and forget it" no matter what comes down the line, which is the ultimate goal of the hackintosh community after all.
- The SATA 3 ports right now are a bit of a mixed bag. You can get them to work at SATA 2 or just over those speeds but they don't work as intended.
- The WiFi and BT solution is a bit of a mystery right now. I don't know what chips are used and how they are attached aside to a PCIe lane so meh.
- Some things work but are strange right now for the Z77 platform and these new(er) components. You have to enable things in windows and install their drivers there before switching over to Mac and having them detected, cold booting into Linux and then re-booting into Mac makes some things behave better, and all kinds of unique temporary work arounds exist. I don't document them and will only sometimes reference them because its no way to reliably use a feature or component.

Brilliant. I am looking at getting one of these boards as well.

Toleda developed a way to get the ALC 898 audio working on here and was released a few weeks a go.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57808&start=0

I did find a kext for the Asmedia USB 3.0 over on osx68.net Although I am in same position as you and haven't got the board yet.

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2214

with more possible info here

viewtopic.php?t=22339&p=262756

I am interested in this board due to the add on thunderbolt card which am waiting to be released.

tony has also got a patched kernel for ivy bridge which is currently in testing

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=58087

When I get my hands on one of these boards I will be able to produce more info, and if possible create a guide/together to get this board working as it does look like a brilliant mobo.

cwestpha said:
PWM issues awaiting ASUS patched BIOS for "Vanilla PWM" support]

might be a long wait for that im afraid.
the asus z77 boards reject flashing a rom which has been modified.
head over to revogirl.blogspot.com for more info

your best option is to use speedstepper at the moment

yep brycv has confirmed speedstepper works on his sabertooth

tom.humphrey said:
Toleda developed a way to get the ALC 898 audio working on here and was released a few weeks a go.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=57808&start=0

Yep, I wrote it at 4 AM or so local time so I didnt feel like using the tags because I wanted to keep it URL light at this point. So when I have F16 T57808 next to the solution that is me pointing at that exact post because you can easily just switch the f=22 to f=16 and the p=361910 to t=57808 then hit enter. I should have made this explicit, but at this point this is more for referance and thought process then telling people "go here to make this work today." I wont be doing that until you can get this build more or less working with a bit of hackery.

tom.humphrey said:
I did find a kext for the Asmedia USB 3.0 over on osx68.net Although I am in same position as you and haven't got the board yet.

http://www.osx86.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=2214

with more possible info here

viewtopic.php?t=22339&p=262756

Well there are a few Asmedia USB 3.0 implementations and this board uses a internal splitter (I think VLI or something like that off the top of my head) to take the two ports and feed 4. This has created some confusion in the various reports on how well this is supported. Some say it only does USB 2.0 speeds (not working by my definition), causes issues with other components when enabled (like the Z77 ports), or requires DSDT edits. Until I can say it works with USB 3.0 speeds and devices as intended I dont consider it "working /w kext enabler"
I know from a hacker standpoint quite a few here will disagree with me, but I am coming from a 2008 Mac Pro and I am not an IT/MIS student anymore with time to spend an hour or two between updates planing how to carry out service updates.

tom.humphrey said:
tony has also got a patched kernel for ivy bridge which is currently in testing

viewtopic.php?f=277&t=58087

Yep, unfortunately for my definition of "working" for the sake of this thread hacked kernels are not considered working or acceptable solutions. Just because you can make it function without panics and crashes doesn't mean its properly supported.
I want to have a set-up in the end for these components about 6-12 months out (will be getting them physically this summer) where I can install say 10.8.1 updater on a 10.8 install and only have to perhaps update a sleep enabler kext to support the new revision before restart.

tom.humphrey said:
When I get my hands on one of these boards I will be able to produce more info, and if possible create a guide/together to get this board working as it does look like a brilliant mobo.
Yep, I think the thunderbolt card when it comes out should be interesting when it does come out and is a major selling point of this for me. Also, I am getting a bit disenfranchised by Gigabyte over the years. It seems like they stop supporting and updating the BIOS old revisions of mobos almost as soon as a replacement comes out. Asus tends to support mobos for at least it +1 generation with BIOS updates and documentation. I know people have a strong relationship with Gigabyte here, with good reason in the old days when a few almost worked out of the box with Chameleon, but I just cant stand some of the things they have been doing recently.
Anyways I will turn this into a full how-to thread eventually once I get things working well when I get the final kit in and working. I have crazy plans for this build of mine (2 GTX 580s in SLI for windows 8 with OS X able to see both GPUs so I dont need to do hackery between OS switching, HD 4000 staying enabled for speeding some tasks in Windows via Quicksync 2, and this build lasting me for at least four years). Needless to say there will be a simple part of the guide, and then the exact portion that duplicates my crazy setup.

samisnake said:
cwestpha said:
PWM issues awaiting ASUS patched BIOS for "Vanilla PWM" support]

might be a long wait for that im afraid.
the asus z77 boards reject flashing a rom which has been modified.
head over to revogirl.blogspot.com for more info

your best option is to use speedstepper at the moment
Not true, though you are right about speedstepper being the best bet atm. revogirl (bypassing the restrictions with scripts) and some folks (what edits to make using those scripts) have found a way to patch the Z77 BIOS with a script and approach revogirl expanded on from her Z67 Asus 1155 solution. Its referred to on her blog, but there is documentation on insanelymac and a few other places about people getting it (sleep, suspend, resume) to work with early DSDTs for the first Z77 BIOSs (stock shipping). So it can be done, its just not elegant and requires people following less then simple instructions and possibly risk screwing their BIOS.
With a bit of cleaning and a bit more success I will update the component to working with a reference to the thread touting its success. Until then its super hacky and potentially dangerous so I dont want to do a simple link and know someone may brick one of these beautiful new boards. ^.~

Thanks to both of you for your input so far!

Ok well I'd be all for helping with that, However I have very limited knowledge on this sort of stuff compared to you by the sounds of it.

However, I have just gone and placed an order for one of these boards so can start experimenting soonish. Hopefully it will work out :p

Update: Updated first post with links to solutions for both NICs reported to work, along with Ivy Bridge kernel patch, and link to latest Audio information. Going to look into Z77 stuff, have a feeling there is a patched BIOS and DSDT out there now but cant remember where to find it. x.x

have you got a link to what you were talking about before?

havent seen any confirmation that there is now a way to flash a modified rom on a z77 board. if you know of a thread, can you post it up. cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back