Graphics
Intel HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, I just ordered myself a new system including the MSI Z77A-G43. Since I have been doing a lot of research here on the board I would like to first thank you all, because my first contact with a hackintosh has been a while (must have been a couple of months before I bought my 2009 MacBook Pro) and there has been a lot new to learn. Additionally I didn't really use that hackintosh back then, despite I had success and it was running OK. So this would be kind of my first build, I guess.

I decided to go the hackintosh route because I'm a bit disappointed with Apple right now and the path they seem to be going on the hardware side. Nevertheless I really love their operating system and wouldn't want to go back to Windows.

So ... to my build. I will be using this mainly as a workstation for programming, graphic design, video editing and 3d, while doing some casual gaming on Windows. I want this thing to be as silent as possible. Going to use Ivy Bridge and I know that this is not recommended yet, but it just doesn't make sense for me buying an older Sandy Bridge when going with a completely new system. I wouldn't mind working on Windows for a few weeks or months if this turns out to be not stable enough yet.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K
Board: MSI Z77A-G43
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3-1600 Low Profile black
Graphics: Gainward 8600GTS (using a very old card I still have lying around, planing to upgrade this to AMD 7770 as soon as Apple supports it)
SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 640GB (already had this, maybe I'm going to upgrade it sometime)
Optical: Sony Optiarc AD-7280S
CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Super Mega with Be Quiet SW1 120mm PWM
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 550W (already had this)
Case Fans: 3x Be Quiet Silentwings2 120mm

I decided to go with the MSI Z77A-G43 because I simply prefer MSI and like their design as well as the features (Realtek/Realtek). I don't need the additional features of MSI's bigger boards. Gigabyte looks promising with the no-DSDT, but I don't like it that they went with Atheros/VIA and their whole lineup just doesn't look that good this time compared to MSI, Asus or ASRock. Additionally some people here are having great success with the MSI boards and I figured that no one of them has tested the G43 yet, so I could give back a little. ;)

I'm still not sure if the 8600 GTS is going to work, some experience there?
And I am not 100% sure with the CPU Cooler. I could also get a Thermalright HR-02 Macho and put a decent Be Quiet fan on it, reviews showed that it performed a little better and it would also be cheaper. Would love to go with a Thermalright True Spirit 140 but that doesn't fit into the case.
Do you think the AMD 7770 is going to be supported in the next update or Mountain Lion? I also might consider going with a 6850 or 6870 as this is supported right now, but I think I can wait.

Edit: Oh forgot ... the components should arrive next week, probably wednesday and I will report about the board then.

I think wfj just completed his MSI Z77 board test on here...he should be of some help.

Looks like a great build. If you look at the 1st build in my signature, that is the basic process I used to install lion on MSI boards. Cross reference that with my test report on the Z77a-GD55 and that should get you on your way. You end up with a lot cleaner install compared to using strictly multibeast. Just pm me if you need any help...Have fun!

Thank you both for your replies. I will stick with your installation process wfj as I always prefer a clean way. :geek:

I've read that there are some BIOS mods available so you don't have to use speedstepper. Would you recommend using this?

Nice build I have a similar setup I am putting together tomorrow when my 3570k finally arrives!

dta said:
Thank you both for your replies. I will stick with your installation process wfj as I always prefer a clean way. :geek:

I've read that there are some BIOS mods available so you don't have to use speedstepper. Would you recommend using this?

Just post the request in the thread below for the modded bios:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54196

If flashing your bios with a modded version makes you nervous, I would just stick with speedstepper. Personally, I've never had a bad experience flashing with the files from samisnake or brycv.

Just received my case today and I must say that it looks amazing. The build quality is really good, I was a bit sceptical about the white color but it looks much better in reality than in some pictures and videos I've seen, the finish is done very well. Also the sides are nice and heavy because of the dampening material, should be very quiet.

The rest of my hardware should be arriving tomorrow and I already have my USB stick ready with UniBeast and BridgeHelper. I am very excited about this build. :clap:

Hey DTA

I Am also currently building a Hackintosh with a similar MoBo, maybe we could share some notes?

My stuff has all arrived and been built i've been running windows 7 on it for 3 days now (solidly) and it's looking stable and ready to be Hackintoshed...but this is really my first foray into hackingtosh-ing!

my specs fyi:
Photo04-05-2012094430.jpg

This is made up of:

MSI Z77A-G43 Mainboard
Photo04-05-2012094526.jpg

The brand new Intel i5 3570K
Photo04-05-2012094607.jpg

8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
Photo04-05-2012094727.jpg

OCZ ZT650 650 watt modular PSU
Photo04-05-2012094751.jpg

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Cooler
Photo04-05-2012094807.jpg

and the MSI N560GTX-448 Twin Frozr III Power Edition Graphics Card
Photo04-05-2012094638.jpg

I have liberated from my old PC the LG Blueray / DVD RW combo drive
2 x 2TB WD hard drives
1x 64gb SSD (Kingston SSD NOW)
This is it all built and running:
f6b8bf9b.jpg

I've ordered my Snow Leopard DVD from Apple and am just preparing (tonight) my iBoot / Multibeast files etc.

Wanna tag team this? :)

s4nup said:

Yeah, should be fun! :mrgreen: Nice build btw.

s4nup said:
I've ordered my Snow Leopard DVD from Apple and am just preparing (tonight) my iBoot / Multibeast files etc.

So you are going to run Snow Leopard not Lion?

dta said:
s4nup said:

Yeah, should be fun! :mrgreen:

s4nup said:

So you are going to run Snow Leopard not Lion?
Want to run lion, but i read that i have to install SL first? and then download the upgrade from the apple store?

is that wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back