Contribute
Register

Windows not loading in Multi booting Windows 10 / El Capitan in different HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra Plus
CPU
i7-12700L
Graphics
RX 6950 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello,

Let me explain everything so it is easier to fix the situation as I have the feeling that it may not be difficult. I used to have only one hard drive so I had dual booting El Capitan & Windows 10 in the same hard drive working properly. No problem at all. The thing is that I was running out of space so I decided to get another 1 Tb. HD and go for the more convenient option: having the two different operating systems in different hard drives.

I installed Windows 10 in my new hard drive, still having the OS X & Windows in the first hard drive. The result was that Clover detected all my operating systems but only one of the windows options was working in order it boot Windows. After picking that option I had kind of a boot loader from Windows asking me which Windows to boot. Obviously I wanted to keep only one of them and, as I was not able to erase the first one in the first hard drive, I loaded GParted in a LiveUSB and erased one of the Windows partitions.

So right now I have:
- Hard Drive 1: EFI partition with Clover and OS X partition with El Capitan working fine.
- Hard Drive 2: Windows partition not loading. I have two options for Windows in Clover now. One of the gives a blinking cursor, the other one tells me to repair it. I have tried this too. I loaded the Windows installation disk and run "Fix bootloader" but I just have an error message telling me the it was not possible.

I guess my problem is related with the loaders. I would love to fix this without having to install from fresh anything as I have my operating systems as I want them.

I would appreciate some guide in order to approach this issue. Thank you so much for everything.

Regards.

Well, after a few attemps disconnecting the Hard Drive with OS X and repairing boot, I couldn't do it at all. I am guessing that somehow Windows linked the new Windows installation with the previous one and at the moment that I erased the original one, it was not possible to boot from the new one anymore.

I have decided to make a fresh installation with the first hard drive disconnected, as it is suggested in the guide. Now my Windows is working properly and so it is the OS partition.

Thank you very much anyway!

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back