i7-2600 @ 3.4 GHz
Graphics
AMD Radeion HD 6850, 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
hi,

i am somehow trying to increase my lion partition. for doing that i need to get rid of my win partition first. so first idea:

backup win7, delete all the partitions created by it, increase hfs+ partition, make some new win7 partition and restore win7 to the new ones.

well, that does not work out, since i am not able to backup my win7 partition. Failurecode: 0x80073BC3
It seems (after googling) thats because win7 x64 is not the main boot drive or sth like that. so i would need to make win7 the boot drive again. i guess via system repair or sth like that.

whats the best way to do this, so i wont have any troubles in my lion ?

do the win7 repair stuff, reboot, do the backup (which will hopefully work).
x)insert iboot dvd, reboot (boot order dvd 1st).
x) boot via iboot into lion
x) execute multibeast again to be able to boot into lion again

would that somehow work out ?
any ideas? any experience?

Attachments

• partitionen.png
    partitionen.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 127
Better to put Win7 on a drive all by itself. Then you wouldn't have problems like this.

That said, instaed of trying to use Windows backup (which really stinks IMHO), create a disk image for the Win7 partition and save it on a USB drive. Resize your partitions, reformat your Win7 partition (you are going to have to do that anyway, then restore the disk image to the new partition.

well, yeah i know, i should have both on an individual drive... thats my next purchase ...

i found another method, quite simple. i downloaded gparted as a live disk. booted via usb into some live distribution (linux) and started gparted.

there i was able to resize and move the partitions as i wanted to. except for the hfs+. i wasnt able to do anything with that, but simply increasing a partition is not a problem for disk utility in lion.

it took about 5 hours until the process was done. since i was moving the win7 partition as well i was not able to boot into win7 anymore. so i just inserted my win7 install dvd, repair options - startup repair and everything is fine again.

win backup still does not work, but yeah i will probably mirror the whole drive.

thx

edit: if u download http://tuxboot.org/download/ u can easily create your usb stick with gparted, just select it from the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back