Contribute
Register

Will this work?/First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I am wondering if this build will work and if it will be able to get future updates.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3(R2.0) or GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3

Processor: Intel Core i3-3220

Graphics: XFX HD-677X-ZNFC or XFX HD-677X-ZNLC

I am willing to go with other recommended parts. I chose the motherboards based off the DSDT database. Thanks! Keep in mind this is my first build.

I ordered the Z77 DS3H MB and I would NOT recommend it. I see no real advantage to this board. Graphics/Audio is still not working on mine. No Sleep. Not sure why Tonymac is recommending it so much.

I would go with older proven MB with DSDT. GL

Not compatible with OSX. (I don't know how to use the quotes.) And how would the Z77 D3H work out?

I ordered the Z77 DS3H MB and I would NOT recommend it. I see no real advantage to this board. Graphics/Audio is still not working on mine. No Sleep. Not sure why Tonymac is recommending it so much.

I would go with older proven MB with DSDT. GL

I can't speak for other Gigabyte Z77 boards (7-series Intel chipset), but my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH mainboard (no DSDT required)/i7-3770K CPU (Ivy Bridge) combination could not have been much easier to set up. HD-4000 graphics, audio, USB3.0, multi-card reader, sleep, etc., all work fine.

-bth

Not compatible with OSX. (I don't know how to use the quotes.) And how would the Z77 D3H work out?

I can't speak to that board specifically. But for general OS X compatibility, like I said before - mixing chipsets/CPUs can work under OS X, but sticking with a 6-Series/Sandy Bridge or 7-series/Ivy bridge chipset/CPU combination is easier to work with.

Search the forums for the mainboard name/designation and see how many requests for help there are. That might give you some indication of how easy a particular board is to work with.

-bth

I was wondering what would happen if my iGPU was not OSX compatible and I plugged a monitor into the motherboard directly. I think there is something called Lucid Virtu that helps somehow.

I was wondering what would happen if my iGPU was not OSX compatible and I plugged a monitor into the motherboard directly. I think there is something called Lucid Virtu that helps somehow.

Sandy Bridge CPUs (aka 2nd Generation Core i3/5/7) = Intel HD 3000 graphics
Ivy Bridge CPUs (aka 3rd Generation Core i3/5/7) = Intel HD 4000 graphics

Both work fine with OS X. From what I understand, it is older CPUs with Intel HD 2000/2500 graphics that have compatibility issues.

-bth

The Ivy Bridge 3220 used the HD 2500...

Is there a way to reply other than going to the first post? And how fast should I expect replies?

The Ivy Bridge 3220 used the HD 2500...

I guess my generalization applies more to the i5 and i7 CPUs. If you want to stick with a 6-series main board and an i3 CPU, think about the i3-2105 or i3-2125 - they both have HD3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back