ATI Radeon HD6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

i wanted to know if the XFX HD6870 works out of the box with Chimera Version included in MultiBeast 3.5.2 or do i also need to install some drivers or use some specific boot options?

Would be nice if it does. ;)

H0ff1 said:
Hi,

i wanted to know if the XFX HD6870 works out of the box with Chimera Version included in MultiBeast 3.5.2 or do i also need to install some drivers or use some specific boot options?

New ATI kexts, GraphicsEnabler =Yes, and check what framebuffer you need but I'm guessing Duckweed

Moved to Graphics

notshy said:
H0ff1 said:
Hi,

New ATI kexts, GraphicsEnabler =Yes, and check what framebuffer you need but I'm guessing Duckweed

Moved to Graphics

Ok Thanks but where can i find these ATI kexts?

H0ff1 said:
notshy said:
H0ff1 said:
Hi,

Moved to Graphics

Ok Thanks but where can i find these ATI kexts?

It starts with M ....
:thumbup:

notshy said:
H0ff1 said:
Hi,

Moved to Graphics
I haven't run the new iBoot and Multibeast just yet, still waiting on motherboard form Gigabyte, but there is a choice for frame buffer now in it?

eelhead said:
notshy said:
H0ff1 said:
Hi,

Moved to Graphics
I haven't run the new iBoot and Multibeast just yet, still waiting on motherboard form Gigabyte, but there is a choice for frame buffer now in it?

It's got Kabyl's ATI.c coding in there but with updates for the new 6XXX cards so you can load those new framebuffers.

After all the effort of GE=No, it's now no longer needed as GE=Yes is now supported on SandyBridge systems with Chimera. I might change the guide .... or at least change the first post to tell people. :beachball:

Personally, I think I might prefer the GE=Yes method. (although I havent got my 6870 just yet)

Just because defining the gfx card in dsdt makes it less useful for switching, if you ever want to put in another card.

I prefer to keept the DSDT configured for the mobo only.

I have one question though. With Andys changes (68xx support) to chimera and GE=Yes & Duckweed, why do we need the MBP-SB-10.6.7 ATi drivers? Dont the normal 10.6.7 Ati drivers support the 68xx cards?

Found this posted in eelheads request updates for wiki last Monday moments after MB 3.5.2 and Chimera 1.1 was released.

Short answer - absolutely. Very easy install. Chimera picks framebuffer properly.

ChasingTail said:
@eelhead

Ok...clean install just for the Wiki.

Hardware - P55-UD4, 16 Gigs, i7, Vertex2 SSD for boot, TB's of storage, Apple wired keyboard, logitech wireless mouse, sony DVD, HD 687A 2DFC ver 1 (device ID 0x6738), 27" ACD connected mini DP, and a 24" Dell connected DVI.

Clean DSDT F11 BIOS, no framebuffer injection in the DSDT.

Installed OSX (did not pull out any memory), once complete ran MB 3.52, installed the usual stuff, network, sound, etc. then the MBP ATI drivers, and the new chimera 1.1 bootloader. I did not let MB add boot plist or smbios plist, I modified my old Boot.plist to GraphicsEnabler=Yes. Did not add a line for the framebuffer (test here). Booted just fine! Checked ioreg in terminal for proper framebuffer. Enabler picked up Duckweed. Checked out display properties in about this Mac and sure enough, my GPU was identified properly. Ran geekbench 64, results 10140, ran Cinbench, almost 34 fps. Sleep works, 27"ACD working via miniDP, 24" Dell working DVI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back