Contribute
Register

Will my High Sierra HFS+ Disk Be Automatically Converted to APFS During Mojave Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Given a system running High Sierra on HFS, is it better to convert to APFS before Mojave Update or will update take care of it?

I went from 10.13.6 HFS to Mojave yesterday (via macOS Mojave installer in Applications).

Mojave did convert the boot drive to APFS automatically, so the Clover boot loader displayed no drives after installation - no boot drive, pre installer drives etc., until I copied the Mojave apfs.efi file (from the installer) into the EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ folder, and updated Clover to the latest version.

So far, so good...

I went from 10.13.6 HFS to Mojave yesterday (via macOS Mojave installer in Applications).

Mojave did convert the boot drive to APFS automatically, so the Clover boot loader displayed no drives after installation - no boot drive, pre installer drives etc., until I copied the Mojave apfs.efi file (from the installer) into the EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/ folder, and updated Clover to the latest version.

So far, so good...

Also for those who need to know where to get the file its located here in the installer files /usr/standalone/i386
Once retrieved copy apfs.efi over to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ after mounting your EFI partition or else clover will boot but you will have an empty section where the drive icon is suppose to be

Attachments

• apfs.efi mojave.zip
    281.4 KB · Views: 203
Also for those who need to know where to get the file its located here in the installer files /usr/standalone/i386
Once retrieved copy apfs.efi over to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ after mounting your EFI partition or else clover will boot but you will have an empty section where the drive icon is suppose to be

Tip: If you're using a Gigabyte 6/7 Series Award Bios and using clover legacy install you need to put apfs.efi into the driver64 folder in clover not the drivers64UEFI folder. I used fakesmc, nullpowermangement and my ethernet kext in clover kexts other.

you don't have choice, the macOS Mojave installer will be converted the installation drive to apfs format, no matter the drive type is SSD or HDD.

Tip: If you're using a Gigabyte 6/7 Series Award Bios and using clover legacy install you need to put apfs.efi into the driver64 folder in clover not the drivers64UEFI folder. I used fakesmc, nullpowermangement and my ethernet kext in clover kexts other.

Note on the tip: Copying apfs.efi is now outdated; if you have ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, and PartitionDxe-64.efi loaded, the APFS driver will be pulled directly from your OS install like a real Mac does it, removing the need to keep it updated.

Note on the tip: Copying apfs.efi is now outdated; if you have ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, and PartitionDxe-64.efi loaded, the APFS driver will be pulled directly from your OS install like a real Mac does it, removing the need to keep it updated.
Thanks for the great info.

Thanks for the great info.

The guys behind these EFI drivers are geniuses...I have no idea how they do it. But it's SO much more convenient than having to copy APFS.efi over after each OS update :)

This is my only real hesitation. When I tried the APFS before I found it to be sluggish. I have also heard that Clonezilla will not work with a disk formatted with APFS.

I've asked around if we can keep HFS+ but I am not getting any replies. So I am really not sure what to do.

This is my only real hesitation. When I tried the APFS before I found it to be sluggish. I have also heard that Clonezilla will not work with a disk formatted with APFS.

I've asked around if we can keep HFS+ but I am not getting any replies. So I am really not sure what to do.

Benchmark after benchmark shows that APFS is within 1% (+ or -) of HFS+ for large single file reads and writes, and that it lags slightly (~5%) behind HFS+ when copying 5000 small files across a network (likely due to the additional complexity of the APFS container and features like copy-on-write and snapshotting), so if you haven't given it a try in some time you may want to reconsider. Also, while Clonezilla doesn't support APFS because nothing on Linux does, CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) has full support for bootable and non-bootable APFS backups however as another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back