Contribute
Register

Will my High Sierra HFS+ Disk Be Automatically Converted to APFS During Mojave Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benchmark after benchmark shows that APFS is within 1% (+ or -) of HFS+ for large single file reads and writes, and that it lags slightly (~5%) behind HFS+ when copying 5000 small files across a network (likely due to the additional complexity of the APFS container and features like copy-on-write and snapshotting), so if you haven't given it a try in some time you may want to reconsider. Also, while Clonezilla doesn't support APFS because nothing on Linux does, CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) has full support for bootable and non-bootable APFS backups however as another option.

I suppose this is where my ignorance comes into play. I have never been able to figure out how to use CCC outside of the OS. Meaning, I have no idea how to do a 1:1 clone of my current SSD to a backup SSD, then restore that backup without booting into the OS.

What I like about Clonezilla is that I can do it all from DOS.

I'll have to consider the switch. I'm just waiting on NVIDIA drivers.

I suppose this is where my ignorance comes into play. I have never been able to figure out how to use CCC outside of the OS. Meaning, I have no idea how to do a 1:1 clone of my current SSD to a backup SSD, then restore that backup without booting into the OS.

What I like about Clonezilla is that I can do it all from DOS.

I'll have to consider the switch. I'm just waiting on NVIDIA drivers.

As it turns out, CCC is capable of making bootable full disk backups. You just boot from the SSD you backed up to and when you open CCC on the backup drive, it should walk you through a restore task :) If your original boot drive is so damaged that even Clover cannot start from it (which obviously the CCC docs won't cover, heh), you can always boot from an install USB prepared with Unibeast or similar and boot your backup drive from there.

I understand though, it's a little more onerous than a totally OS-agnostic backup/restore process for sure!

https://bombich.com/kb/ccc5/how-restore-from-your-backup

Note on the tip: Copying apfs.efi is now outdated; if you have ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi, AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, and PartitionDxe-64.efi loaded, the APFS driver will be pulled directly from your OS install like a real Mac does it, removing the need to keep it updated.
Khaibit, I tell you what... that was easy! :cool:
Sooo painless compared to previous hacks...
Hardly any hacking necessary - put Mojave installer in Applications, install latest Clover, select options you mention and...
BOOM!

Short answer: yes! It Will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back