Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys

I am a 34 year old man from Norway. Been building my PCs from the early 90s and now I feel its time to have some fun. I want to build a hackintosh. Since I am a total n00b, I feel I should ask here before I go and click buy on the parts I am thinking of getting. Heres my list:

MB: ASROCK Z87M Extreme4 - socket 1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
SSD: 2xSamsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K - watercooled
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 640 2GB DirectCU Silent
Case: Bitfenix Phenom M
PSU: Corsair 550w

I really want to build with mATX MB to be able to use a small case. Userfriendly in the living room with wife and kids.

Any advice is welcome and highly appreciated

Hi guys

I am a 34 year old man from Norway. Been building my PCs from the early 90s and now I feel its time to have some fun. I want to build a hackintosh. Since I am a total n00b, I feel I should ask here before I go and click buy on the parts I am thinking of getting. Heres my list:

MB: ASROCK Z87M Extreme4 - socket 1150
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
SSD: 2xSamsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K - watercooled
GPU: ASUS GeForce GT 640 2GB DirectCU Silent
Case: Bitfenix Phenom M
PSU: Corsair 550w

I really want to build with mATX MB to be able to use a small case. Userfriendly in the living room with wife and kids.

Any advice is welcome and highly appreciated

Yes it will work. Im sat typing from one on my desk right now :)

I'm sure the 640 is supported too although I haven't used one myself. All your other components will work just fine.

This is a relatively easy build too :)

What do you think about this setup and upgradeability to Yosemite? Sorry, if the question is stupid. Hehe. I will spend quite some time on these forums now. Been reading about Yosemite and seen the new things. Would be cool if it would work on my system.

I have been jailbreaking IOS for several years, so I am prepared to have to wait after launch of new versions before it is possible to jailbreak. I am guessing I have to expect the same with OSX?

The only thing to consider with the motherboard is sleep. I've not seen it working here yet although I havent put much effort into that as I dont use it. I can confirm the rest of it works as expected though.

With sleep you are talking "sleep" like a laptop do? I´m maybe old school, but I turn off my stuff when I don't use them. Unless it´s running some updates or tasks :lolno:

What do you think about this setup and upgradeability to Yosemite? Sorry, if the question is stupid. Hehe. I will spend quite some time on these forums now. Been reading about Yosemite and seen the new things. Would be cool if it would work on my system.

I have been jailbreaking IOS for several years, so I am prepared to have to wait after launch of new versions before it is possible to jailbreak. I am guessing I have to expect the same with OSX?

Since you are a newcomer to the forums and have not fully read the rules, let me remind you of one of them :

'Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban.'

Please take your time to make yourself aware of the rules which can be found at the top of the page, or by clicking here.

;)

What I can tell you is that Mavericks works 100% on this board, aside from sleep which I mentioned above; I cant confirm that either way.

With sleep you are talking "sleep" like a laptop do? I´m maybe old school, but I turn off my stuff when I don't use them. Unless it´s running some updates or tasks :lolno:

Yes. Like a laptop and most desktops do as well.

I'm like you, I switch off mostly as well.

:thumbup:

Since you are a newcomer to the forums and have not fully read the rules, let me remind you of one of them :

'Prerelease Software or Developer Builds are covered by NDA and therefore there cannot be any discussion of features included or removed within said software. The NDA also prohibits the distribution of any component contained within these releases. There will be no discussion of installing, help with installing or documenting the use of this type of software. Repeated violations of this rule will result in a permanent ban.'

Please take your time to make yourself aware of the rules which can be found at the top of the page, or by clicking here.

;)

What I can tell you is that Mavericks works 100% on this board, aside from sleep which I mentioned above; I cant confirm that either way.

Oops. My bad. Well, this looks good so far then. You say you are not sure about the GPU i have chosen. Do you have any suggestion to an alternative I could choose that will be a good match for the rest of the setup? Price is not an issue tbh. I just tried to spec with what I need, and since gaming is like twice a year GPU is not so important as before. From the list here in june it jumps from a 640 to 760. If that will make my setup more stable, I will spend the extra money needed for the upgrade. Been thinking about more RAM to, but have read that 32GB can cause some freeze ups. So I found 16GB with a higher speed instead.

Oops. My bad. Well, this looks good so far then. You say you are not sure about the GPU i have chosen. Do you have any suggestion to an alternative I could choose that will be a good match for the rest of the setup? Price is not an issue tbh. I just tried to spec with what I need, and since gaming is like twice a year GPU is not so important as before. From the list here in june it jumps from a 640 to 760. If that will make my setup more stable, I will spend the extra money needed for the upgrade. Been thinking about more RAM to, but have read that 32GB can cause some freeze ups. So I found 16GB with a higher speed instead.

Im pretty sure the 640 works fine, I just cant confirm it with this board thats all. Just have a few searches of the forum to confirm it, you can search for the exact model you are looking at to get confirmation. I use a 760 with mine, which works 100%. You shouldnt need to upgrade it, just double check first :thumbup:

32Gb ram works fine on this board too. See here :

Ram-2.jpg

And also here :

Ram-1.jpg

Be aware that some users have found issues with corsair ram and it has subsequently been removed from the Buyers Guide.

Crucial (Recommended in the Buyers Guide) and also G.Skill seem popular and have always worked for me as you can see above.

2400 ram is probably a little overkill, but it is your choice of course.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back