GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, I am new to the whole hackintosh community. I am currently building a Hackintosh to run Logic Pro on Yosemite/El Capitan and FSX on Windows.

My Current parts are:
i5 4690k
Gigabyte H97M-D3H (Micro ATX)
Corsair Air 240 (White)
Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD
Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16gb (DDR3 - 1866)
Corsair CSM 450w Semi-Modular.

I have also chosen a GTX 970 but I am not sure which one to go for. On tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide it shows a small variety of GTX 970s. Would any GTX970 work (Asus Strix, MSI...) or does it have to be one of them. I don't want to end up wasting a lot of money on a graphics card to find out it is buggy.

Also, I have a 1TB hard drive with Windows 7 installed and FSX. Could I just insert it into my hackintosh and would it work straight out of the box? If so how do you do it?

Many Thanks

Hi, I am new to the whole hackintosh community. I am currently building a Hackintosh to run Logic Pro on Yosemite/El Capitan and FSX on Windows.

My Current parts are:
i5 4690k
Gigabyte H97M-D3H (Micro ATX)
Corsair Air 240 (White)
Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD
Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16gb (DDR3 - 1866)
Corsair CSM 450w Semi-Modular.

I have also chosen a GTX 970 but I am not sure which one to go for. On tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide it shows a small variety of GTX 970s. Would any GTX970 work (Asus Strix, MSI...) or does it have to be one of them. I don't want to end up wasting a lot of money on a graphics card to find out it is buggy.

Also, I have a 1TB hard drive with Windows 7 installed and FSX. Could I just insert it into my hackintosh and would it work straight out of the box? If so how do you do it?

Many Thanks
Check the specs of the card you want against the Reference model. If it is same or close, probably will work.

For the Win7 drive - it will only work if it was installed to the drive with the drive in your current hardware. You cannot move a WinVista/7/8/8.1/10 HDD/SSD from box to box due to the way Microsoft has done its licensing for these versions of Windows. The system at boot compares hardware to a "snapshot" of the hardware you installed it on and if it does not match it thinks it is being pirated and will black screen on you.

So would I have to get a new drive with windows 7? My old computer was a AMD Build (FX4170, HD6670). Are their any tutorials on how to move hard drives from one computer to another (software wise)? I have seen people on youtube, like Linustechtips, just 'plug and play' a SSD when doing builds.

Thanks

So would I have to get a new drive with windows 7? My old computer was a AMD Build (FX4170, HD6670). Are their any tutorials on how to move hard drives from one computer to another (software wise)? I have seen people on youtube, like Linustechtips, just 'plug and play' a SSD when doing builds.

Thanks
Depends on where in the installation process they stopped the install. For a fully installed, running system, 8/8.1/10 all set the license key into the board firmware. Replace the board and you have to purchase a new license key.
For Win7, what you can do is purchase a Windows Transfer Cable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0093HCIQ0/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Using your original Windows 7 install media, install Win7 on the new computer, selecting skip this step when asked to input your key code.
Then install the transfer app on both computers, connect them with the USB cable, run the software on each computer to select which is source and which is target.

If you do not have the original install media, there is always this procedure: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Make a good backup first before using it as it will wipe the first user you created when you first installed and make you create a new one.

So should I install Yosemite onto my empty/new SSD and after I have configured OSX can I just insert the hard drive and it would show up on the boot loader? (I'm really new to the hackintosh community)

Thanks

So should I install Yosemite onto my empty/new SSD and after I have configured OSX can I just insert the hard drive and it would show up on the boot loader? (I'm really new to the hackintosh community)

Thanks

If you are going to move Windows, suggest you do that first and get it out of the way.
Then you can worry about installing OS X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back