Contribute
Register

Will an after-market Thunderbolt PCIe card work with this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1060
I've done some preliminary research, but haven't quite found an answer to my question.

I'm looking to connect a UAD-2 Satellite OCTO and/or UAD Arrow to my current build.

The build in my signature is my current machine.

Would it be possible to install a Thunderbolt 3 and/or Thunderbolt 2 PCIe on this build?

If not, would it be possible to purchase a newer motherboard with native Thunderbolt support and replace it with my current processor / RAM instead of having to buy mostly updated stuff?

I'm continually amazed by this community, I appreciate your time, thanks for any insight.

beelzebozo

Super Moderator
Motherboard
ASUS z170-Deluxe
CPU
i7 - 6700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've done some preliminary research, but haven't quite found an answer to my question.

I'm looking to connect a UAD-2 Satellite OCTO and/or UAD Arrow to my current build.

The build in my signature is my current machine.

Would it be possible to install a Thunderbolt 3 and/or Thunderbolt 2 PCIe on this build?

If not, would it be possible to purchase a newer motherboard with native Thunderbolt support and replace it with my current processor / RAM instead of having to buy mostly updated stuff?

I'm continually amazed by this community, I appreciate your time, thanks for any insight.

Read your specs https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-5-rev-10#sp

There are a few Thunderbolt add-on cards as options in the Buyer's Guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.