Contribute
Register

wildwillow's Dual Boot Skylake Build : Asus Z170 Deluxe - i5-6600K - GTX970 SSC - 32GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I wouldn't not even think and replace my motherboard in a jiffy, unfortunately Amazon is no longer an option for me. I used to live in the UK, but no longer. I will try to replace my motherboard, but it will take a long time and most probably they just return it back to me. Return and refund polices and not commonly practised in my country.

Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard has so much power and potential, but I am not utilising them in full. I was thinking about getting motherboard that can support my components and have PCI-E x1 slot for bcm94360cd card.

Oh, I wouldn't not even think and replace my motherboard in a jiffy, unfortunately Amazon is no longer an option for me. I used to live in the UK, but no longer. I will try to replace my motherboard, but it will take a long time and most probably they just return it back to me. Return and refund polices and not commonly practised in my country.

Asus Z170 Deluxe motherboard has so much power and potential, but I am not utilising them in full. I was thinking about getting motherboard that can support my components and have PCI-E x1 slot for bcm94360cd card.
All good retailers will have the ability to set up an RMA for your motherboard. They should also be able to give you a turnaround time for diagnosis, and if confirmed faulty a free repair or replacement. That particular card needs an adapter and can be used in x4 and x16 PCIe ports.

UK example but eBay has countless. I've bought one that was assembled and another in separate parts and they work very well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MBP25UK/?tag=tonymacx86-21

What do you want from your system, I can help find the right motherboard for you if you like?

Thank you for your support. I use my computer mostly for work, word processing, some light photo editing, video encoding. My son is playing games and learning how to use wacom graphic tablet. So, I want powerful family computer, for games and work. I am not planning to use SLI or m.2 ssd drives.

Thank you for your support. I use my computer mostly for work, word processing, some light photo editing, video encoding. My son is playing games and learning how to use wacom graphic tablet. So, I want powerful family computer, for games and work. I am not planning to use SLI or m.2 ssd drives.

No problem, sorry your motherboard had a seizure, hopefully you'll come out on top.
Well most powerful boards have SLI and M.2 support but you dont need to use them. Depending on how much you want to spend this is a great board and should be very similar with installation. its the MSI Z170A Power Gaming Titanium edition (say that after a couple of Irish coffees). https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM-EDITION.html#hero-specification

This ones a Gigabyte board and costs a little less, The Z170X-Gaming 5
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#sp

Both the above boards have Intel ethernet, ALC1150 audio and a lot of room for drive expansion when needed. The Gaming 5 does have 2x M.2 ports that you wouldn't use, but looking over the board would sacrifice the SATA ports if used. Neither has wifi as you've already ordered that. I'd like to try out the MSI board, great spec and has mostly Intel USB, only 2x ASMedia ports. Both links are for specifications so you can take a look.

Last edited:
Very excited!!! ..... but i'm stuck with my sound not working, i'm getting my HDMi sound but no audio for the motherbord.... Help pls!!!

i'm also gonna try installing the Asus Thunderbolt Ex2 Dual soon will post how that turns OUt....

Keep da Good Vibes ALIVE.....:)

Very excited!!! ..... but i'm stuck with my sound not working, i'm getting my HDMi sound but no audio for the motherbord.... Help pls!!!

i'm also gonna try installing the Asus Thunderbolt Ex2 Dual soon will post how that turns OUt....

Keep da Good Vibes ALIVE.....:)
Have you got onboard devices shown in System Preferences/Sound>Outputs? if you have onboard devices shown select line out and use the Black port on the rear back panel of the motherboard.

No problem, sorry your motherboard had a seizure, hopefully you'll come out on top.
Well most powerful boards have SLI and M.2 support but you dot nned to use them. Depending on how much you want to spend this is a great board and should be very similar with installation. its the MSI Z170A Power Gaming Titanium edition (say that after a couple of Irish coffees). https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-XPOWER-GAMING-TITANIUM-EDITION.html#hero-specification

This ones a Gigabyte board and costs a little less, The Z170X-Gaming 5
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5498#sp

Both the above boards have Intel ethernet, ALC1150 audio and a lot of room for drive expansion when needed. The Gaming 5 does have 2x M.2 ports that you wouldn't use, but looking over the board would sacrifice the SATA ports if used. Neither has wifi as you've already ordered that. I'd like to try out the MSI board, great spec and has mostly Intel USB, only 2x ASMedia ports. Both links are for specifications so you can take a look.

Very interesting and beautiful(MSI) motherboards. About MSI board, it has 7 USB 3.1 Intel ports. Are the supported by OSX?
And about wifi/bt, is there any difference in performance between bmc94360cd and BCM943602CS(from your link)?

Last edited:
Very interesting and beautiful(MSI) motherboards. About MSI board, it has 7 USB 3.1 Intel ports. Are the supported by OSX?
And about wifi/bt, is there any difference in performance between bmc94360cd and BCM943602CS(from your link)?

Yeah the MSI 100 series and the MSI 9 series are beautiful. The MSI BIOS in my Z97 Gaming 7 is flawless, rock solid, always posts quickly and no hiccups at all. I have this in my lounge connected to satellite, Broadwell HD6200 and its the system I use the most. (Greener)

Those cards and very similar. The CS model could be the newest version and advertised speeds are 1600MB/s. They will both work natively in OS X El Capitan. No extra patches .

The model number on the Z170 Deluxe is BCM943602HMB works at 2.4GHz yet requires those little steps for 5GHz but the end result is the same. Let me know what you choose or if you decide on another motherboard.

EDIT: The Intel Ports are supported, they are backwards compatible, USB 3.1/3.0/2/0. You'll need to raise the USB port limit or create an SSDT for accurate port use. I don't mind helping.

Last edited:
Ok, I will try to do a new install and document every step.

I apologize for my poor English language skills.

1. I took out motherboard battery for 10 minutes,
  2. Downgraded bios to 0504, to flash motherboard, used BIOS FLBK button on my motherboard, and upgraded via GIU to 1702.
  3. Cleared cmos again by pressing CLR_CMOS button.
  4. Turned of EZ_XMP, EPU and TPU switches
  5. Created Unibeast USB 2 Installation Drives 16GB. (unibeast 6.2)(Mac OS X 10.11.4)(I put your config into EFI partition)
  6. Bios
    1. Run Q-Fan Control -> Optimize All,
    2. Set correct time and date,
    3. Set Ai Overclock Tuner to XMP to get proper RAM Speed
    4. Advanced > System Agent (SA) Configuration > VT-d Disabled(it was already Disabled)
    5. Advanced > (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > Primary Display > PEG
    6. Advanced > (SA) Configuration > Graphics Configuration > IGPU Multi-Monitor > Disabled(it was already Disabled)
    7. Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Handoff > Enabled
    8. Boot > CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Launch CSM > Enabled (it was already Enabled)
    9. Boot > CSM > Boot Device Control > UEFI and Legacy OPROM (it was already set to UEFI and Legacy OPROM)
    10. Boot > CSM > Boot from PCI-E/PCI Expansion Devices > UEFI driver first(I don’t use PCI-E/PCI drives, but set it anyway)
    11. Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS
    12. Secure Boot > Delete all keys under Key Management (4 in total) (Why do we have to delete these 4 keys?)
    13. F10
  7. Insert USB and boot into installer
  8. I usually reformat SSD to master boot record partition scheme and back to 4›at all)
  9. And install(only 7 minutes)
  10. Reboot, set country, skipped wifi, set user name and password, set time zones and here we go Desktop.

I use Microsoft radio keyboard and mouse to go through installation process, it does work properly wireless range is very short only 30-40 cm.

I download Multibeast and all other kexts before installation and put them on separate USB 3 drive.

1. Used Clover Configurator to mount EFI partition and Multibeast 8.1.0 with your premade settings.
Open config.plist on the EFI partition with Clover Configurator and followed you guide and entered Comment : Change HDAS to HDEF: FIND : 48444153:REPLACE : 48444546. What do these numbers mean? Where do you get them?

In Clover Configurator in Acpi section, DSDT name it was written DSDT.aml, I deleted it as it was empty in your picture.(i didn't nice it before)

then in Boot section I removed the tick for dart=0 box and tick nvda_drv=1 box, Under the Custom Flags I add -uia_exclude_ss.

Saved and closed.

I Installed Nvidia driver and SSDT-i7-6700K.aml and installed USBInjectAll.kext (RehabMan-USBInjectAll-2016-0423.zip) with KextBeast, then AGDPfix and reboot.

After reboot I followed wifi/bt mini guide.

Reboot. Bluetooth/Wifi working.

Fixed App store with sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and reboot.

Last edited:
After reboot I had sound and ethernet working. In my previous installation and i didn't have sound working, probably due to connected soundbar. So, this time I disconnected my USB sounder and had no problem with audio.My USB 3 pen drive didn't work on any port, so I decided to install older version of USBInjectAll.kext (RehabMan-USBInjectAll-2016-0126.zip), reboot.
USB 3 started to work.

Problem:
probably something to do with bluetooth, magic keyboard and magic trackpad 2 only work if i put wifi/bt antenna right next to magic devices(need help of harry potter). if antenna located 1 meter away, courser becomes jumpy and VERY inaccurate and keyboard becomes unresponsive.

network interfaces mixed up, wifi called either and vice versa.(not a big problem, just annoying)

I aso noticed that GPU fans ramp up for 3-5 seconds every 3-5 minutes during sleep.

How to fix these issues?

During my previous installations, I accounted reboot problem and q code 00, (not in use), no posts, just black screen. It was probably due to TPU switch was set to profile 1(from factory). I can't do any overlooking, system just refuses to boot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back