Contribute
Register

Wi-Fi: Works after holding Wi-Fi button for 5secs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, BUMP! Mac will no longer find any networks. I've tried clean boots, clean reboots, and coming from Windows in Hibernate mode. Mac no longer sees my networks or neighbors'. WiFi turns on and off, but doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Does it work in Windows? If it does, the thing I can offer is to "go slow" with the turning on/off thing. It is not instant. Better to be patient each time you try the button.

I turned it on, and then held the WiFi button for 5 seconds, and it worked! Thanks!

Grrrr. OK, so I bought a new HDD, and installed it today. Windows 7 and Mac installed perfectly, but the non-HP Atheros 9285 card I have won't work. About this Mac doesn't detect it, and Windows says it has a problem. I used the newest HP ProBook installer. I still have the old HDD, and on that, Mac says it sees it as an Atheros 9285.

Grrrr. OK, so I bought a new HDD, and installed it today. Windows 7 and Mac installed perfectly, but the non-HP Atheros 9285 card I have won't work. About this Mac doesn't detect it, and Windows says it has a problem. I used the newest HP ProBook installer. I still have the old HDD, and on that, Mac says it sees it as an Atheros 9285.

If you get the BIOS error message about the card, then you can try to install the special version of Fanreset.dylib. It sets the PCI slot as active working around the BIOS attempt to disable it.

See: https://code.google.com/p/hp-probook-4x30s-fan-reset/downloads/list

Download, extract, and copy to /Extra/modules/Fanreset.dylib

But really, eventually, you should probably purchase an Atheros card that passes the white list and sell the one you have.

Is that Dynamic Library no longer in the ProBook installer? Thanks by the way.

Fanreset.dylib is in the ProBook Installer. But not the white list hacked one. It causes problems (hang at boot) that are difficult to diagnose when there is no WiFi card present in the laptop.

Speaking of an official card, where would I pick one up? EBay searches aren't very reliable.

Speaking of an official card, where would I pick one up? EBay searches aren't very reliable.

I've not had to purchase one, since my laptop came with a supported card, but ebay or direct from HP.

I finally gave in and paid the ~$35 for an Atheros WiFi card for my model (9285). It better work or i'm gonna be ticked off.:problem:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back