Contribute
Register

Which old iMac or MacPro G5 or MacMini is worth buying??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H87-D3h
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
GTX780
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, guys.

When it comes to Mac, I am still a some what a newbie.
I wanna consult you guys opinion because now I dont know what to choose or what I really want.:problem:
I wanna buy a second hand Mac Pro/ iMac/ Mac Mini.
Which model should I buy???

Here at China we have so many retailers that selling 2nd hand Macs.
And when it comes to Mac, they have so many different models...
MC815,MD101, and etc, you get the idea..

I wanna buy a Mac that is easy to upgrade also that can last long.
I don't really like the latest models coz Apple just does not give you any room for further upgrade.
What you get is what you gonna have. Unless you upgrade it through Apple's website.
Then it will cost you a ton.

I have seen some Macs which has DDR2 Memory.
Can I upgrade it to DDR3??
Will it affect the performance of the Mac??

You guys think I should buy a Mac Pro G5??? Or Mac mini??
Also, if I bought a Mac Pro G5, can I install my own graphic card on it??
I have an Asus GTX780. It does not require any driver for OS X support, as far as I know.

Any suggestion is welcomed.
Thanks!!

To be able to use DDR3 you'll want to get a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro. They are generally the same
as the 2012 versions. 2012 models have slightly newer/faster Xeon CPUs. A G5 Mac will
not be able to run Snow Leopard, Lion, ML, Mavericks or Yosemite so I would cross those
off your list. You may be able to find a 2009 or 2010 iMac for a good price but it takes a
lot of searching. Repairs can be difficult too.

Dual Xeon (Mid 2010) MC561LL/A is the model number of a good choice for a Mac Pro.
If an older Mac Pro (pre-2009)has DDR2 ram it will not be compatible with DDR3 so buy at
least the 2009 or newer MacPro 5,1.

To be able to use DDR3 you'll want to get a 2009 or 2010 Mac Pro. They are generally the same
as the 2012 versions. 2012 models have slightly newer/faster Xeon CPUs. A G5 Mac will
not be able to run Snow Leopard, Lion, ML, Mavericks or Yosemite so I would cross those
off your list. You may be able to find a 2009 or 2010 iMac for a good price but it takes a
lot of searching. Repairs can be difficult too.

Dual Xeon (Mid 2010) MC561LL/A is the model number of a good choice for a Mac Pro.
If an older Mac Pro (pre-2009)has DDR2 ram it will not be compatible with DDR3 so buy at
least the 2009 or newer MacPro 5,1.

Thank you man!!!
:3:headbang:

Now I know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back