Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good Day to you all.

I've decided to build my first Hackintosh.

I bought a couple of old G5 chassis to mod and after reading a lot of good information here at tonymacx86 I went down to the local computerstore to buy the parts I needed.

One criteria I had was that I wanted the computer to have thunderbolt so I could use it to with an iMac thunderbolt as the display and later on with external Thunderbolt HDD

the hardware i got was

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Thunderbolt
Intel Core i5 3450 3,1Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
Corsair 8GB (2x4096) CL9 1600Mhz Vengeance LP Red
Antec VP550P 550 Watt ATX 12v v2.32
Asus PCE-N53 DualBand N600

Targus Bluetooth 4.0 Micro USB Adapter

My first choice was an Intel Core i3 3225 3,3Ghz. But after falling for some nice salesmanship at the local store I walked home with the i5. As the sharped-eye already seen. The i5 processor I got is an HD 2500 not the HD 4000 as OS X require.

My first Q to this community is:

What happens if i buy a graphic card instead of going back to the store and try to change it, does it turn off the thunderbolt and it's possibility to send the video signal?

Second Q is: which graphic card would you recommend?

Yes I have searched the forum and the internet for an answer but with all the keywords it's is giving me nothing so far. So therefor I ask you guys here for advice

Hello again.
Unfinished threads are not what I like. So I just tell you all that I went back to the store and changed the i5 3450 to 3750K, and got the Hackintosh up and running.
(still no sound)

Good Day to you all.

I've decided to build my first Hackintosh.

I bought a couple of old G5 chassis to mod and after reading a lot of good information here at tonymacx86 I went down to the local computerstore to buy the parts I needed.

One criteria I had was that I wanted the computer to have thunderbolt so I could use it to with an iMac thunderbolt as the display and later on with external Thunderbolt HDD

the hardware i got was

Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H Thunderbolt
Intel Core i5 3450 3,1Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
Corsair 8GB (2x4096) CL9 1600Mhz Vengeance LP Red
Antec VP550P 550 Watt ATX 12v v2.32
Asus PCE-N53 DualBand N600

Targus Bluetooth 4.0 Micro USB Adapter

My first choice was an Intel Core i3 3225 3,3Ghz. But after falling for some nice salesmanship at the local store I walked home with the i5. As the sharped-eye already seen. The i5 processor I got is an HD 2500 not the HD 4000 as OS X require.

My first Q to this community is:

What happens if i buy a graphic card instead of going back to the store and try to change it, does it turn off the thunderbolt and it's possibility to send the video signal?

Second Q is: which graphic card would you recommend?

Yes I have searched the forum and the internet for an answer but with all the keywords it's is giving me nothing so far. So therefor I ask you guys here for advice

Q1) Yes, the TB on a Gfx card will not send a signal to the monitor on a CustoMac. You need to use it directly from
the TB port on the Mobo. Q2) Depends on how much gfx power you need i.e. what you'll be doing with your CustoMac.
The best price/performance in my opinion is the GTX 660. The Asus or GB model is probably the quietest if that matters to you.

The HD4000 graphics of the 3770K are useful for a lot of things but not for high framerate gaming with the
modern 3d gfx intensive games. The Audio chip built in is VIA so won't work OOB. You'll need to get a USB audio
adapter. Search this site for threads on that. I believe a certain SYBA model works well for the Z77mx.

Thank you!

I think I will stick with the intel i5 HD4000 graphic card, I don't play any games on my computer. I do convert a lot of movies though.
For the moment I use the airplay function. I connected the computer with the ethernet cable directly to an apple airport express. I did this because the WiFi I bought was not compatible.
I got a Numark DXM01 which got 2 soundcard build in. Thinking of using it instead of usb sound card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back