Contribute
Register

Where to get OS X...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! Hopefully ill have this done by next weekend. I will definitely post this on the build section as soon as im done. I hope it all goes smoothly and no complications or hardware not functioning happens.

Thanks for the help guys. I might even do a video of the setup and post it somewhere with my findings.

Another dumb question from another newbie :D

Why do I need 8Gbs flash drive? I have some 4Gs and 2Gs but not 8Gs. Can I use them too?

If you can't access a real mac or another hackintosh, you can buy a USB from apple which you have to patch with unibeast.
Visit an Apple Retail store or go onto their website and look or ask for a OS X Mountain Lion Flash Drive.
They don't sell CD's anymore.

The USB will cost around $40 - $60

Don't say you want it to build a hackintosh of course!

8GB is the abosolute minimum. The Installer won't fit on any smaller.

Another dumb question from another newbie :D

Why do I need 8Gbs flash drive? I have some 4Gs and 2Gs but not 8Gs. Can I use them too?
Yeah, the files when inflated to be in the USB drive will be over 7gigs, so you need at least an 8gig usb stick. I personally bought a 16g, they're just stupid cheap now no need to be stingy, 10 bucks on newegg or amazon, etc.

If you can't access a real mac or another hackintosh, you can buy a USB from apple which you have to patch with unibeast.
Visit an Apple Retail store or go onto their website and look or ask for a OS X Mountain Lion Flash Drive.
They don't sell CD's anymore.

The USB will cost around $40 - $60

Don't say you want it to build a hackintosh of course!

I think i have that taken care of, got a buddy with a mac that will let me get and create the usb drive, i am going to use mountain lion right off the bat for the build.

I did try to search for the usb online to purchase it from apple but i could not find it, dont know if it was because i was browsing through PC's or that they took it off the website, unless you got a link for me to check out? Last year when i first started reading about the hackintosh builds i was "this" close to buying the Snow Leopard DVD and the Lion USB update stick but didnt.

Lets see what happens.

Hi All,

I might as well add to the newbie questions. I am going to follow Tony's guide on building the 2012 Mac Mini CustoMac. I have never owned a mac before, and do not have access to one. I have been running Ubuntu since 2005, and have not switched from it. I was searching ebay for Snow Leopard retail DVD's, and found so many different versions. Between the individual licenses, family licenses, and then the server edition, i'm confused on which one to purchase. Any suggestions for a new user looking to make a customac mini with no access to an existing mac machine?

Thanks in Advance.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back