Graphics
HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello all, i have taken it upon my self to build my first Hackingtosh and i have the parts already onhand. However, i have one problem, i have been a PC and windows user for a long time and have no access to a MAC, how should i begin? Where can i purchase the installation discs for OS X? Do i have to go to an Apple Store? Are they available online? Which version do i get? Thanks for the help i am anxious to get this started so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah of course i know about that page, guide, etc., but if you read my concern is i dont have a mac to access the app store, so how do i proceed?? Pardon the dumb question as i am still figuring everything out.

Yeah of course i know about that page, guide, etc., but if you read my concern is i dont have a mac to access the app store, so how do i proceed?? Pardon the dumb question as i am still figuring everything out.

Well, you'll sort of need access to a mac to get OS X. It is only distributed as a download from the Mac App Store - ML isn't even sold as a USB drive in Apple Stores. You could get a Lion USB off eBay (they made thumb drive installers for 10.7 but stopped with 10.8) but they are usually far overpriced and often aren't even legitimate.

I guess you could go to an Apple store (or Best Buy or another Apple retailer), sign on to your Mac App Store/iTunes account, download the ML installer there, and create your UniBeast USB drive all on their computers. That's hardly ideal, but it may be your only option.

Good luck,

Seamus

Hello all, i have taken it upon my self to build my first Hackingtosh and i have the parts already onhand. However, i have one problem, i have been a PC and windows user for a long time and have no access to a MAC, how should i begin? Where can i purchase the installation discs for OS X? Do i have to go to an Apple Store? Are they available online? Which version do i get? Thanks for the help i am anxious to get this started so any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

What is your motherboard and CPU? If Sandy Bridge 1155 or 1156 or 775, then you can get Snow Leopard and install, comboupdate to 10.6.6 to get the App Store in the dock and download Mountain Lion.

At this time (subject to change) Ivy Bridge access to app store is not working. You can install with iBoot Legacy, but you can't boot from HDD.

What is your motherboard and CPU? If Sandy Bridge 1155 or 1156 or 775, then you can get Snow Leopard and install, comboupdate to 10.6.6 to get the App Store in the dock and download Mountain Lion.

At this time (subject to change) Ivy Bridge access to app store is not working. You can install with iBoot Legacy, but you can't boot from HDD.
My problem would be to get my hands on snow leopard. My hadware is GA-H61N-USB3 and im going to run an i3-2105 Sandy. I just talked to a buddy that will let me use his mac to get all the latest software, but i dont know about the initial disc. Can i do a full instalation from scratch using the mountain lion usb option if i get online with a mac and download it from the app store without first getting the computer setup with a previous version? Ive been under the impression you cant, that you need to start from snow leopard on up.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

My problem would be to get my hands on snow leopard. My hadware is GA-H61N-USB3 and im going to run an i3-2105 Sandy. I just talked to a buddy that will let me use his mac to get all the latest software, but i dont know about the initial disc. Can i do a full instalation from scratch using the mountain lion usb option if i get online with a mac and download it from the app store without first getting the computer setup with a previous version? Ive been under the impression you cant, that you need to start from snow leopard on up.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

If you have a friend with a Mac who is willing to allow you to use it to download Mountain Lion then that is the way to go. Download ML from the App Store, download UniBeast for ML from here, connect an 8Gb USB flash drive, launch UB and point it at the USB drive and it will use the ML app in the applications folder to create your UniBeast USB installer. You can then open the applications folder, right click on the Inatall Mac OS Mountain Lion.app file and select archive to create a .zip file of the app and burn it to disk or save it on another flash drive. That way, you will have it without having to download it again.

Once you have created your UniBeast USB, then install ML straight onto your build. No other prior installation is needed.

If you have a friend with a Mac who is willing to allow you to use it to download Mountain Lion then that is the way to go. Download ML from the App Store, download UniBeast for ML from here, connect an 8Gb USB flash drive, launch UB and point it at the USB drive and it will use the ML app in the applications folder to create your UniBeast USB installer. You can then open the applications folder, right click on the Inatall Mac OS Mountain Lion.app file and select archive to create a .zip file of the app and burn it to disk or save it on another flash drive. That way, you will have it without having to download it again.

Once you have created your UniBeast USB, then install ML straight onto your build. No other prior installation is needed.
Thats more like it! I will definitely do that then! Download ML and create the USB drive and do the install from there.

Just to clear up one thing, do i still need to use iBoot or is Unibeast the only thing i need to boot the machine and run everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back