Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 331 25.9%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 521 40.7%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 106 8.3%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 21 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 254 19.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS
CPU
Intel i5-3570 / Intel 7 Chipset
Graphics
EVGA Nvidia GTX-1060 SC
I got to a point I could not stand Windows anymore. To much work to keep the installs clean
at home for my rigs and for my family machines.

I spent a lot of time trying to make Linux work, but it is just not a good OS for home use.
I gave up on it years ago. Not sure if it changed much since than. Their UI based on X is just
too outdated and cumbersome.

I decided to try mac os about five years ago and got hooked. It is, in my opinion, a much better OS
for normal home users. I migrated everything in my house to Apple products, except for the computers.

I have always built my systems. I only bought 1 computer in my life, the very first one I got,
so building hackintoshes is just a continuation of that trend. Besides, I can customize them the way I
want and within my budget. I like the Apple products, but their computers are just too expensive for
what they offer.

Getting out of Windows was difficult because of a lot of games I play are not available for Mac OS.
Fortunately this is changing and it is becoming less of a problem now.

Motherboard
OEM AMIBIOS H81
CPU
Pentium G3250 aka G3258
Graphics
Geforce GT 320
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS,
I "built" Hackintosh laptop (amd) because i love to tinker with different devices and operating system, now i can say that i have used almost all popular and less popular operating systems. I have used Windows Phone 8.1/10, now using Android, and i have iphone too which wont boot at all.

Motherboard
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
Android
I built Hackintosh because I fell in love with Final Cut Pro.
I was using, selling, building and fixing PC systems for more than 20 years.I couldn't even imagine that one day I will use Apple OS. Of course after the Final Cut pro, I loved the Sophistication behind the OSX.That made me since then to mainly use and build Hackintoshes and to have on a 2nd SSD a Win10 installation for very limited things such as gaming when I have free time.I wish ofc and Im waiting one day for Apple to provide equal Graphics Acceleration like Windows machines ans start using GPUs at the limits no matter it is a video editing software or a game.

Motherboard
ASUS Gryphon z87
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD4600 & RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Apple
Years ago I bought an Apple G5 fully maxed out just to run Logic.
That was right after they acquired Emagic.
I was very much disappointed.
Logic was very unstable (theses days I was totally blind by apple users telling me OSX is rock solid) in the early time and it had a lot of bugs.... (Sudden Channel Death issue and more...)

Meanwhile I studied abroad and bought a iBook just to get around.
After exactly 1 Year (I had no apple f*** care)
the screen died and the iBook was useless.

Without the G5 it was as well a bad experience, Apple had to replace me the PSU of the G5 3 times, after that I got a totally new G5... this time with the same issues and even more.

So I decided to sell all Apple crap ad rather get Music hardware (Roland MV8000 + Sythns) as replacement which works for years without any hiccup yeah...

Some time later I needed a new Laptop, so I decided to give Apple another chance and bought an MacBook Pro.
Anything was nice for some time until its Logicbord died, and after that the Super Drive and than the original Apple RAMs. super.

After that, letters (they were just glued into the housing) of the MacBook Pro logo fall apart so that it said:
Macboo P o
Apple replaced me the whole MacBook Pro and I got an Unibody MBP yeah !
Thats was the first Mac which works for me since today, (beside the Battery is dying now and some parts s of the psu fall apart)

So thats why I am not that much in trust with Apple Hardware anymore.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I had a Mac Pro tower and the ethernet went out on it. Cost of Apple (or anyone) fixing it was prohibitive. My online searching for workarounds brought me to TonyMac and InsanelyMac. That was when I first realized Hackintosh was a thing - a wonderful thing! I built my first Hack built on one by @Stork and never looked back. I still buy Apple laptops because they're hard to hack, but as long as it's possible to make a Hackintosh I will probably always opt for that over a desktop Mac.

Motherboard
GA-X99-DESIGNARE EX
CPU
i7-6950x
Graphics
AMD Radeon Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I got into Hackintoshes after building a Windows machine for work in 2011, to collect radar information. It contained a Super Micro motherboard and two Xeon processors and ran Windows 7. Since I had to do the research about which parts to select, I got the itch to replace my 2008 Mac Pro with a Gigabyte X58/i7-990X processor. I was hooked after that. I'm on my 4th Hackintosh now and my wife is still using the original one.

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z270G Gaming
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Mostly, right now for me it's about price of a new Mac (of any flavour), secondly, it was about Apple's not offering configurations I wanted. I've just finished a mid-career "get me out of this corporate hell to which I'm shackled by pursuing a totally unrelated new university degree" crisis so money isn't flush and since I'm going back to software programming, I need a good/fast setup at home. Sadly, the Mac mini is too stale right now for the money and the Mac Pro is simply out of financial reach, so hackintosh it is!

My first machine (20+ years ago) I built myself (Windoze, but boy did it scream at the time) and enjoyed that process immensely, plus it provided function for many years (even after I gifted it to my brother and upgraded my own). At the time I had bought a book on how to build an Apple machine, but the value and savings weren't really there at the time to justify or warrant the expense. Today, however, it is a different world for the hackintosh, thankfully.

Just built my first hackintosh this week (macOS Server/HTPC/home hub...), 3x faster than currently selling (or 2012) Mac mini, but in a Prodigy case into which I stuffed all my external/media drives and replaced my old, slow NAS. That experience went much better than expected.

Now on to the desktop where parts are ordered and in transit, which together will form my new, very fast (hackintosh) developer's dream machine. :)

Motherboard
Z390 Gaming X
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Originally it was the price : performance ratio. Once I knew I could make my dollar go further and still have a reliable experience I was in. Originally I just wanted something that could out perform a mac mini for the same price. Along the way though I found added benefits I never thought of (but many other do) that keep my from even considering a real Mac desktop. Expandability, choice of hardware, and various cooling choices are not existent in a real mac.

I started out with a H61N-USB3 paired with a 2500K (for the HD3000 graphics) and worked myself through all the wrinkles. Eventually I added in a GT 640 and that little machine ran like charm for about two years (still running in a golf course as an OS X Plex server) before I built my current system.

Currently I am running hardware you can't get in Mac (like many of the people here), Things like have a 2U rack mount case, an E3 Xeon processor (less TDP), and a Pascal GPU (that I just upgraded from a GTX 750ti). If one were to hide the computer some where and put a Apple Cinema Display on my desk it would fool 99% of the people who use it. It would even kind of look like the iMac it pretends to be.

I think this price : performance ration is what really brings people to the Hackintosh. Many of us could have afforded a mini without the money we spent on our builds, but the fact is, for what a mini cost you can have something just as stable but much more powerful. And, hey, you can actually change/add RAM, put in some additional drives and upgrade your GPU.

Motherboard
GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI
CPU
Xeon E5-1660
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
I built one to render native Apple ProRes that can be accepted by broadcasters. They will not accept anything less than APPLE PRORES because even if a third party solution is licensed by Apple, the quality factor will never be equal to ProRes content rendered out of native OSX ProRes encoders.