Contribute
Register

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

What was your primary reason for building a hackintosh?

• Cost. Apple hardware is just too unaffordable.

Votes: 334 26.2%
  • Apple does not sell systems with the specs I want.

Votes: 509 39.9%
  • I already owned a PC and wanted to try macOS.

Votes: 107 8.4%
  • I've been burned by Apple hardware failures and have no faith in their reliability.

Votes: 20 1.6%
  • I like to tinker and learn.

Votes: 261 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 46 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I just wanted to try something different.

And play around in GarageBand and drive Siri crazy of course. ;)

Motherboard
Gigabyte H370M D3H
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
I had (and still have) an aging but still fully functioning Mid 2011 21.5in iMac for daily use. It has become more problematic in recent times so I wanted to be prepared with a new Mac. This decision was before the new iMac and Mac Mini release (either one I would be happy enough with). So, I started connecting the dots. I could build a computer, noob, huge learning curve. I love to tinker and this is right up my alley. Cheaper and better performance with future upgrades. It all made sense, so I went with the build. End result is awesome. I learned a lot and had a so much fun (and frustration) along the way.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
i3 4170
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Cause why not..if you don't like it format the drive and move on

Motherboard
Gigabyte B360 Aorus
CPU
i5-8600
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I was looking into the new Bacbook Pro lineup and specs and was appalled that they don't have USB 2.0 ports anymore and at the price. Then a coworker referred me to Hackintosh so took my backup PC and gave it a shot. Worked out great.

I am desperately hoping Apple come up with a newer lineup with the Butterfly switches reverted along with a USB 2.0.

Motherboard
MSI
CPU
Intel Core i7-9700K
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Couldn't afford the G5 when I was a kid. I guess I loved the design and have always loved mac computers

Motherboard
Gigabyte B365m-DS3H
CPU
i3 8100
Graphics
iGPU
I am doing my first Hackintosh because I love Apple products but can't afford a real iMac so I thought I would try a basic Hackintosh. Love to learn new things and it would be interesting to see how long a Hackintosh lasts in comparison to a Mac product. Would it be just as reliable or is it going to be as reliable as a Windows rig?

Time will tell!

Motherboard
Asrock Z490m pro-4
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
Vega 64 (flashed Vega 56)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I love building PCs but I hate Windows and it helps me keep up with what's going on in the PC building world.

Motherboard
asus rog strix z390-E gaming
CPU
i9 9900K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I love Mac, but finding it harder and harder to swallow the costs of Apple systems.

I get the argument that the new Mac Pro is for the very top Pro 3D rendering / video editing market, but is it too much to ask for an upgradable Mac that is in the prosumer price bracket?

JD7

Motherboard
ASUS ROG Strix Z390-I-2603 OpenCore UEFI
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When Apple moved to using Intel CPU’s way back, I found this forum and loved the mindset of folks working things out, also flipping the bird to the crazy prices they charged .

I didn’t have money to buy Mac products, didn’t have money for my own laptop. Money was tight.

I read and read, tried things out - swapping/adding hardware id’s for various kexts for example.

I built a Hackintosh laptop - a Dell E5430 (my works corporate laptop) using a spare hdd. My way of having a ‘free’ laptop of sorts, with some swapped out hardware. Then let it go for many years.

Back to today, well earlier this month I bought components from off the buyer’s guide (apart from the RX5700). I wanted to see how things have changed in the Hackintosh world and build a customac - partly for the buzz/challenge and partly just because Apple still charges crazy prices still to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.