Contribute
Register

What Desktop Hardware Do You Want Better Supported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as more regular ATX and mATX motherboards being supported would be great, I would personally like to see more support towards the mini ITX boards.

Since pretty much all X58/H55/P55 Gigabyte boards work mostly fine, I don't think there is any shortage of choices for a regular desktop machine. If you have access to purchase a Gigabyte board, you are good to go.

However mini ITX is a whole different matter. Its great format and can make for some truly compact machines and I would like to see support enhanced for them. I guess pick a board or two and work on ironing out all the kinks for support of it.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Formula
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition
Memory: 12 GB DDR3 2000
Chipset: Intel X58
Onboard Audio Chipset: ACL889
Onboard Gig Lan: Intel 82567V
Onboard eSATA: JMicron 363 (2 Ports) IN AHCI Mode
Onboard Sata: Intel ICH10R (In AHCI Mode and Has Pioneer BD-205 Burner attached)
Onboard Sata 6G: Marvell 9128 (In AHCI Mode and has the boot volume with striped 250GB SSDs)
Video Chipset: GeForce GTX 285 (1 GB)

Attachments

• Acpitables.zip
    22.2 KB · Views: 99
How about the Rampage III and CUDA support for NVidia 4xx. ASUS alone may not be challenging enough for TonyMac! :headbang:

the onboard sound cards of the ASUS P7P55D series.

chears.

My vote is for mini-ATX / ITX formfactors.

I agree that there's now plenty of avenues that people can pursue to build a super fast - multi core beast of a machine and I'd quite like the idea of a low cost, green, small machine that could run as the equivalent of a Mac Mini. Would SL be too hardware intensive to make such a machine?

Would the Asus Xonar DX fall into the impossible category too?!?!

Ah, damn! Tough luck, I guess!

Is the Nuforce uDAC supported? I know it's Mac compatible, but I don't suppose the manufacturers had it tested on a Hackintosh rig! I suppose it should work, but just wanted to make sure, in case I decide to pick one up! :)

Theoretical question: Why aren’t all the Apple.com Snow Leopard supported video cards recognized and fully function immediately during the OSX 10.6+ install on the PC platform? Thought the DSDT would not require modification for these specific OSX supported video cards. i.e. “12. ATI 5XXX and NVIDIA 4xx series cards currently are unsupported- beta drivers are available, but not standard.â€

Read somewhere that in the Power PC cpu days apparently ATI made both PC and Mac versions of a few video cards and you could also re-flash the PC card to work on a Mac.

Apple.com Snow Leopard tech requirements section:
OpenCL requires one of the following graphics cards or graphics processors:
* NVIDIA GeForce 320M, GeForce GT 330M, GeForce 9400M, GeForce 9600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce GT 120, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce 8800 GT, GeForce 8800 GS, Quadro FX 4800, Quadro FX5600
* ATI Radeon HD 4670, ATI Radeon HD 4850, Radeon HD 4870, ATI Radeon HD 5670, ATI Radeon HD 5750, ATI Radeon HD 5770, ATI Radeon HD 5870

Great work Tony have ordered parts and OSX for a new TonyMac rig soon to be built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back