Contribute
Register

Weird network issue: "-1" added to shared folder names HEEELLPPPPP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Enzo
CPU
Intel
Graphics
Intergrated
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
Firstly, this whole community absolutely rocks and i'll be forever in debt to everyone for all the great support and advice i've been able to gather during the creation of my HTPC/NAS box; Enzo. So thanks! I was hoping you could help me with a weird issue i'm having..

Enzo follows the Customac Mini build spec except for storage where i've got 2x3GB WD Greens (one cloning the other via CCC) + 2x1TB Samsungs (from existing NAS, now empty not being used) + a Sandisk 120GB SSD for the OS. Installation was sort of straight forward (DSDT free, had to complete ML installation using safe mode at the reboot, had to install Chimera 2.0.1 post install to get USBless boot) and now everything is working perfectly. Although..

When accessing some of the shared home folders from my main machine (iMac early 2012 ML) the share gets "-1" added to the end of its name. So for example the shared home folder 'Music' on Enzo is seen on the network as 'Music-1' and 'Movies' gets seen as 'Movies-1'. I suspected this was something relating to the official OS X home folders only, but no, even a custom folder called 'TV Shows', also located in the /user folder, gets shared as 'TV Shows-1'. To make things even more baffling, some home folders don't get the -1 treatment when shared, like 'Documents' and 'Pictures', they remain as is.

This is the case when viewing the shared folders from a registered login or the guest login accounts. Whether the account has R/RW/W privileges doesn't make a difference. Also it is not my iMac renaming the folders as my flatmates MBA sees the -1 naming as well.

Other than just being visually annoying, it is critical that i get the naming of the shares correct as my whole setup (Illustrator, indesign, Cinema 4D, iTunes) relies on the file paths to remain intact.

Potentially important notes / What i have tried:
- To keep the SSD free of bulk data i have moved the /user folder to the primary 3TB HDD and remapped it via sys prefs. Although, as i just tested, whether the home folders lie on the boot volume or non boot does not make a difference.
- Thinking that is was something to do with the official home folders, i moved the /user folder back to the SSD and then created a set of custom home folders on the primary 3TB (Music, Movies, Pictures, etc..) and then shared these. -1 still added! grrr!!!
- One of the 1TB HDDs used to have a old 10.6.8 Kalaway installation on it (which initially showed up in Chimera) before i migrated all data over to the 3TB and then reformatted.
- In the assumption that '-1' is added to a share who's folder name is in conflict with another on a different volume, i disconnected all drives except for the SSD and the primary 3TB. -1 still added!! GRRRR!!!
- I reinstalled multibeast (screeny attached) using the Mac Mini 6,1 definition instead of the default in the hope that this would fix it. No luck.
- This is not a network/router issue as my iMac shared the home folder 'Music' as 'Music' to all macs on the network.

Is there a cache i need to flush to get this working correctly?

I really hope there is a simple explanation and solution to this.. Many many thanks for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 10.43.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 10.43.43 PM.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 228
This old link might be of help:

http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?t=65023

It's all about moving your home folder to another drive.
Other than that, the only time I have ever seen a -1 added is when there is a conflict with an existing name.

Thanks for the link Bob, a good little guide. And agree, there is some sort of conflict going on.

I think i have made some progress.. I disconnected all drives except one of the 1TBs an then did a Cutomac installation onto it. Same settings as before. The new installation shares home folders without the -1! :D.

This tends to suggest the cause was some sort of conflict between the old Kalaway installation and the new one whilst it was being installed onto the SSD.

So the thing to do now will be to do a fresh install onto the SSD without anything else plugged in and without moving the home folders. If that doesn't work, it indicates that the issue lies with the SSD itself.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers.

Problem solved. Reinstalled OS and all's well.

I even tempted fate by redirecting the home folder to the (now connected) 3TB drive and it picket up all OS preferences and data and more importantly is sharing the folders over the network correctly!

Happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back