GTX 750
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

I’m going to be doing a G5 case build in the next month or so and would like some feedback. Currently using my late 2011 MBP - i5 2.4GHz 16GB ram and SSD but it stays pinned when I’m using multiple Adobe CC programs and VMware. CPU sits around 68C hits 90C all too often… trying not to kill this laptop. A big chunk of my budget is going towards a new monitor so the hardware doesn’t need to be overkill - I do not game or do video editing. The most taxing applications will be photoshop, illustrator, and lightroom. Plex and CodeKit or MAMP might be running in the background. My main priority is stability as it will be my main development system. Here is what I have so far, any input will be helpful. Thanks!

MOBO: GA-Z97X-UD7 TH (TB ports would be nice bit not essential)
CPU: i5-4690K (i7 seems overkill for a dev build)
MEM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU: Corsair RM 650
GPU: Out of the loop here. Just for webpages and graphic design
CPU cooler: water vs air :crazy:
Fans: Up for debate, are bequiets worth it?

Have:
Storage: Samsung 500GB SSD & 1 TB HDD
Input: Apple Magic Trackpad & Logitech K750

What kind of resolution are you planning on using on your screen?

I would just go with the onboard graphics, since you wont be using the machine for gaming or video editing :)

1920 x 1080 if I keep dual and 2560 x 1440 if single. Decisions decisions...
I was wondering if i would have any issues just running onboard.

Intel HD4600 is fully supported on Yosemite, so I don't think you will experience issues with that.

GPU : Onboard should be fine, but you can always add a dedicated GPU afterwards if you wish/need/not happy with how it performs
Cooler : Unless you are going for extreme overclocks , Air cooler can be just as good as water cooler.
Fans : If you value quiet operations then BeQuiet fans or Noctua are worth it. If you are used to a 'cheap pc' and don't mind the idle noise then you can forget about aftermarket fans.

G5 case : itis easier to fit a mATX motherboard into them depending on how you layout your stuff. Have a look into the case mod section there are some gems there

Awesome thanks for the input. Yeah my media pc drives me crazy with the fans so I will more than likely spend a few extra bucks for the sanity. I was considering mATX, it seems like a full ATX would be fine since I'm mounting the PSU up top. Once I empty the case out ill have to play with the space. Any recommendation if I end up going mATX? The GA-Z97M-D3H seems pretty popular. I've been bookmarking quite a few builds on the case mod section, some good inspiration there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back