Contribute
Register

WDN4800 intermittent problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I am having the same issues here. I tried a lot of different configurations first was to change routers still the same symptoms. Initial connection appears ok but slowly degrades after a short period of time. I need to turn off and turn on my wifi conncetion before I can surf again. I am using ML 10.8.2. I dont think its the WDN since I dual boot to win 8 and there are no network issue. I also use a macbook pro andit works just fine. This is driving me crazy.

Ok I am having the same issues here. I tried a lot of different configurations first was to change routers still the same symptoms. Initial connection appears ok but slowly degrades after a short period of time. I need to turn off and turn on my wifi conncetion before I can surf again. I am using ML 10.8.2. I dont think its the WDN since I dual boot to win 8 and there are no network issue. I also use a macbook pro andit works just fine. This is driving me crazy.

Ok I did more changes on my network I changed my router Netgear to purely "G" and this solved my intermittent connection problems. But this brought down my network speed to 54mb still looking for a solution to go back to "N" though.

@dcharlesworth
Let us know if that driver works. As far as 'It was working a month ago' goes, my experience is this: Sometimes everything works. I have two routers. The wireless card seems to go through periods of being 'cranky' where it doesn't want to talk to one or the other. That seems to last a good while, days or weeks maybe. I don't pay that much attention any more, just switch routers if I have trouble and usually I'm fine for a while.

Mostly it has trouble with my Verizon issue one, but once in a while it's the Time Capsule. Both are 802.11n and I've changed channels, encryption, every other damn thing when I was first trying to troubleshoot. It seems to have nothing to do with rebooting. I rebooted dozens of time when first troubleshooting, applying various fixes, and it didn't help.

I've seen some people, like you, who think they're timing out from inactivity. In fact I've seen people systematically prove it for their cases. For me, though, I've had it cut me off in the middle of downloads, streaming netflix, and active browsing sessions.

Derp. After reading your post, I tried unplugging and restarting my router and since then I've had no problems. It seems stupid but I guess I never considered it because my MBA wasn't having a problem and therefore thought it must be to do with my Hack rather than the router.

Let me add my name to the long list of "wtf's!?".
I bought this card for the simplicity of it working 'out of the box'. I wish I'd known it would work for only a short amount of time.

I'm mostly commenting as a bump, but PLEASE, if anyone has a solution, halfway or not, please post it.
This seems to affect plenty of us!

Cheers.

I posted back in December in this thread stating that I was having connection drops. A combination of buying a new router (TP-Link WDR3600) and switching to the 5Ghz band has solved my issues. I'm guessing that for me it was the 5Ghz change, since I live in a very populated 2.4Ghz area.

my wifi would drop at random times, so i disabled IPv6 and all is well.

my setup:
z77-ds3h
16 gb ram
ssd
1tb hdd
650 2gb video card
wdn48000

open up terminal and type: networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

enter password, and hopefully all is well for you guys.

my wifi would drop at random times, so i disabled IPv6 and all is well.

my setup:
z77-ds3h
16 gb ram
ssd
1tb hdd
650 2gb video card
wdn48000

open up terminal and type: networksetup -setv6off Wi-Fi

enter password, and hopefully all is well for you guys.

I've had this issue with the TP-Link WDN4800 ever since August last year.

For me, all of my network activity stops when the my usage goes up. For example, watching 1080p videos on YouTube or downloading 100MB+ files will stop my connection after about a minuted. Otherwise, it's always working correctly. The system shows a valid IP from my router and reports no errors, but Little Snitch will show that both upstream and downstream receive 0 bits, even though there are services trying to send/receive data.

At first, I assumed it was due to some error in my hackintosh since UniBeast/Multibeast was just released for Mountain lion. However, I purchased a replacement WDN4800 in December and updated to 10.8.2 Mountain Lion. This did not fix my issues.

I then did a clean wipe to 10.8.3 and it did not fix my issues.

My rig is dual-booting in Windows 7. Windows 7 has 0 issues; I have never had a dropped connection or errors since I made my rig in August.

I even went out and bought a current generation Apple AirPort Extreme top-of-the-line router. It did not fix the issue (on default settings using WPA2 and dual band).

I just disabled IPv6, so I'll report back in 2 weeks to verify whether this corrects the issue.

If someone else has a solution they found in another thread, please reply back to me. I would appreciate it.

TP-Link WDN4800
Gigabyte Z77x-UP4 TH
Intel 3570k

Well, it's only been one day but I still have the same issue where my communication stops. WiFi is still connected, but upstream/downstream from the internet just stops on the node (not the router - all other connected devices have no issues upstream/downstream).

Turning off IPv6 did not resolve the issue.

Sadly turning off IPv6 didn't help me either.

Sometimes it behaves itself pretty well for a while, weeks even, then sometimes it starts cutting out so bad I can't even complete a modest sized download without it dropping.

My next step is to turn off 802.11 a/n on my router to make it a b/g router. I can already see that I'm receiving 3Mb/s less throughput by switching to the old standard, but if this solves the problem, I'd rather take a slower speed than to suffer from cut-outs. I will report back in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back