Contribute
Register

WDN4800 intermittent problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the same issues. If you look around in this "Network" forum, there are a dozen threads describing the same issue. Anyone??

Same here :-/

I have the same problem here.

I am on a Customac pro 2012 build (followed Alfa's guide in the tutorial section for ML). The wifi is running at 2.4ghz with a TPlink access point (link amazon). The connection/bandwidth is great as long as it works. At some point there is some sort of a hickup and I lose connection, although I am still connected to the AP. Switching Airport off and on fixes that. I have the feeling it happens more often when I max out the network by transferring large amount of data, but it also happens when idle.

Under Win7 the card seems to work just fine (installed the drivers without the TPlink tools, did nothing else). Downloaded Diablo3 and TF2 (more than 20gig) in one session.

For a test I switched the TPlink AP off and used the Wifi from our BT Modem, which is crap, but I had no problems for the 2 days I was testing it. So maybe the issue is due to some interference within our wifi?!

Today, I should get the ASUS RT-N66U and I also bought a second WDN4800. If that does not help then I simply don't know any more. :/

Cheers,
Sebastian

Just to provide an update. I replaced the old WDN4800 with a new one last Friday and had not trouble for about 2 days (with a glimpse of hope) but had some issues then. So I swapped the router for a Asus N66U, which I am still testing.

Just to be clear. I installed the card into the machine, booted and it worked. No config, no kext. Did anybody try something different (5GHz etc. is all working fine)?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Just to provide an update. I replaced the old WDN4800 with a new one last Friday and had not trouble for about 2 days (with a glimpse of hope) but had some issues then. So I swapped the router for a Asus N66U, which I am still testing.

Just to be clear. I installed the card into the machine, booted and it worked. No config, no kext. Did anybody try something different (5GHz etc. is all working fine)?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Haven't tested anything else but someone pointed out that this MIGHT be related to the encryption that is used. What encryption are u using? I'm aware that this is no solution but i'm facing the same problem and will look at my wifi settings later. Maybe the problem can be isolated. What operating system are using? I'm on 10.8.2. and this issue renders the wifi useless for me. Under win7 the card works fine so i'm assuming its okay.

The old TPlink AP was set to WPA2 with encryption set to auto. The same default setting as with the Asus router. Maybe it is best to specify the encryption?

I made the same observation in Win7 as you did, absolutely stable connection. Will see how it goes with the N66U.

Edit: I am on 10.8.2. It just happened with the Asus router as well, 5Ghz WPA2 AES. grmpf

Add me to the list of people with issues. Works fine in Windows. OSX will randomly drop connection, if I turn off and then on again it works.

I never noticed this when I used my Comcast modem. I've recently seen the issue when using my Airport Express (2.4 GHz band).

I get this problem too. Laptop and phone working fine so not router. Have tried re-installing Atheros drivers, restoring router to defaults, switching to 11n only, AES to TKIP. Switching to 11g seems to have worked. Has anyone managed to get it to work with 11n?

My system is: GA-B75M-D3H: i3-3225: Intel HD4000: TL-WDN4800
Multibeast 5.2.1 + Unibeast 1.7 + Mountain Lion 10.8.0

I too am experiencing this same problem, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

If I turn the wifi off, and then on, it immediately starts working again. But its super annoying. It also seems like if I'm actively "using it" it works longer, but if I let it rest for a bit, to read a long webpage say, things stop again. This might just be the passage of time however. Its certainly more common than every 20 minutes. Sometimes every 5.

I seem to be having the same problem but in ML. I might try installing the Atheros driver from MultiBeast as was suggested in another thread and see if this helps. It's strange because it didn't seem to be happening when I built my hack a month ago.

@dcharlesworth
Let us know if that driver works. As far as 'It was working a month ago' goes, my experience is this: Sometimes everything works. I have two routers. The wireless card seems to go through periods of being 'cranky' where it doesn't want to talk to one or the other. That seems to last a good while, days or weeks maybe. I don't pay that much attention any more, just switch routers if I have trouble and usually I'm fine for a while.

Mostly it has trouble with my Verizon issue one, but once in a while it's the Time Capsule. Both are 802.11n and I've changed channels, encryption, every other damn thing when I was first trying to troubleshoot. It seems to have nothing to do with rebooting. I rebooted dozens of time when first troubleshooting, applying various fixes, and it didn't help.

I've seen some people, like you, who think they're timing out from inactivity. In fact I've seen people systematically prove it for their cases. For me, though, I've had it cut me off in the middle of downloads, streaming netflix, and active browsing sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back