Contribute
Register

WARNING - Possible Issues with GA-P55M-UD4 BIOS F10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right - I fixed it by:

1. Repairing permissions
2. Erasing everything in the Extras/Extensions folder.
3. Watching the video Tony made, and selected all the options he did when setting up his board.
4. Running repair permissions again.

Now it works beautifully.

Guys, it's a good thing I found this thread. I rushed in and updated my GA-P55M-UD4 to F10 even before making this (new) mobo a fully-properly working one... I just opened a ticket, too, with Gigabyte for the problem I am facing detecting Core i7-860 proper speed:

On boot screen (QuickBoot disabled) the CPU speed is wrongly displayed as 2.93GHz (x22 multiplier) despite the fact that in BIOS Setup it's set as x21.

In the CPU info screen inside BIOS Setup, speed is shown as 2.93GHz. I have reset CMOS (via button) twice, booted the m/b and still on bootscreen/BIOS Setup the info is 2.93GHz.

Nothing else is changed. No overclocking or anything! I even tried "Load Optimized Defaults" but it's still showing 2.93GHz. I think it could be a bug in the multiplier? If I select x20, I get 2.66GHz on the boot screen. If I revert back to x21 (i.e. normal) by typing it in the BIOS field/box, then on reboot I get back 2.93GHz instead of the expected 2.8GHz.

I have no idea what is causing this and I am worried about either wrong CPU detection or underlying CPU overloading?
Guys, can I please contact someone in PM to obtain the proper/optimal BIOS settings for the GA-P55M-UD4 (especially M.I.T.)? I am having serious sleep problems... If I put the device to sleep, next time it wakes up it's like I pressed "reset" button... Thanks!

konsti said:
Guys, it's a good thing I found this thread. I rushed in and updated my GA-P55M-UD4 to F10 even before making this (new) mobo a fully-properly working one...
Tsk... Tsk... Bad move... Time for a rollback...

<snip>

Guys, can I please contact someone in PM to obtain the proper/optimal BIOS settings for the GA-P55M-UD4 (especially M.I.T.)?
Isn't it detailed enough in my blog... http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/ ???

I am having serious sleep problems... If I put the device to sleep, next time it wakes up it's like I pressed "reset" button... Thanks!
Guess you didn't read Sleep - General Troubleshooting Tips, right ?

Anyway, as I already recommended, get back to F9... There seem to be too many issues with F10...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

BTW, fix your profile... Your mobo is wrong there !

Lnx2Mac said:
konsti said:
Guys, it's a good thing I found this thread. I rushed in and updated my GA-P55M-UD4 to F10 even before making this (new) mobo a fully-properly working one...
This is scary. I rolled back to F9 BIOS. It still displays on the boot screen my processor as having multiplier x22 (thus at 2.93MHz) despite the fact that BIOS setup is set as x21. You also have a Core i7-860, right? But on your pages, you also have this info, like me, in the M.I.T. screens... What's happening?

Lnx2Mac said:
Of course it is, dear friend. But you know, most of the times the problems lie in the BIOS settings... they can never be trusted 100% :D

Lnx2Mac said:
It's the first thing I did! After your reply on the blog, I even printed these pages. But you missed a point that confused me a lot: you have XMP-type DIMM memory modules, I only got Kingston DDR3 @1600/CL9 and never got this menu entry, so it was confusing until I just read on the P55M-UD4 manual that it appears only on XMP compatible RAM! I think we can add a couple of screen-shots to un-confuse readers, too?

But even with the same (99%) settings and same CPU as yourself, I can't get any sleep (in mobo or real life? :lol: ). When I select sleep or it goes to auto-sleep, next time I press keyboard or power button it's like I did a button-reset...

Lnx2Mac said:
Anyway, as I already recommended, get back to F9... There seem to be too many issues with F10...
BTW, fix your profile... Your mobo is wrong there !
Will do. It's the anxiety of setting the new one up that made me disregard my forum obligations!

Please note the things I noticed (minor fixes) on F10 that may take me back there are:
1. With F9 I was not easily entering BIOS setup. There were cases that I pressed the DEL button (Apple aluminum full keyboard) and only thing I got was a black screen. Had to press reset and redo the exercise.
2. The beep speaker was beeping on every reset, now.
3. Most important: I have the impression that RAM voltage was set lower; don't really remember but I think they manage better on F10 the voltages (CPU/RAM).

I was really looking forward for a hassle-free mobo with this board, being recommended and all, but now that I reflect back, my previous mobo (Shuttle XPC SG31G2V2 barebone) was much easier to setup!

Thanks Lnx2Mac for listening :lol:

konsti said:
Lnx2Mac said:
konsti said:
This is scary. I rolled back to F9 BIOS. It still displays on the boot screen my processor as having multiplier x22 (thus at 2.93MHz) despite the fact that BIOS setup is set as x21. You also have a Core i7-860, right? But on your pages, you also have this info, like me, in the M.I.T. screens... What's happening?
Check out the "M.I.T Current Status" page.
You should have two lines: Turbo Ratio and Non-Turbo Ratio.
The x22 should kick in on Turbo...

Lnx2Mac said:
Of course it is, dear friend. But you know, most of the times the problems lie in the BIOS settings... they can never be trusted 100% :D
:crazy:

Lnx2Mac said:
It's the first thing I did! After your reply on the blog, I even printed these pages. But you missed a point that confused me a lot: you have XMP-type DIMM memory modules, I only got Kingston DDR3 @1600/CL9 and never got this menu entry, so it was confusing until I just read on the P55M-UD4 manual that it appears only on XMP compatible RAM! I think we can add a couple of screen-shots to un-confuse readers, too?
:lol: Yes, it's hard to teach an XMP-less RAM stick to be XMP ;)
Make sure you don't select the 1.3V for your RAM, as this setting is just for the G.Skill Ecos...
Yours will need DRAM Voltage at [Auto].

But even with the same (99%) settings and same CPU as yourself, I can't get any sleep (in mobo or real life? :lol: ). When I select sleep or it goes to auto-sleep, next time I press keyboard or power button it's like I did a button-reset...
Did you check all 3 checkboxes under "Energy Saver" in the System Preferences ?

Please note the things I noticed (minor fixes) on F10 that may take me back there are:
1. With F9 I was not easily entering BIOS setup. There were cases that I pressed the DEL button (Apple aluminum full keyboard) and only thing I got was a black screen. Had to press reset and redo the exercise.
2. The beep speaker was beeping on every reset, now.
I'd try reflashing with F9, hitting the CMOS Clear microswitch, and start over the BIOS config...

3. Most important: I have the impression that RAM voltage was set lower; don't really remember but I think they manage better on F10 the voltages (CPU/RAM).
Huh ? Where did you take this info from ?

I was really looking forward for a hassle-free mobo with this board, being recommended and all, but now that I reflect back, my previous mobo (Shuttle XPC SG31G2V2 barebone) was much easier to setup!
:eek: Can't think of an easier and hassle-free way of installing a hackintosh than with this combo...
Edit: I though of one... an iMac :p

Thanks Lnx2Mac for listening :lol:
I always try to listen... It's the only way to learn ;)

This was a long time ago for me(about 4-5 months) but I believe that your x22 is normal at stock clock speeds. When I had my i5-750 stock clocked, it gave me a reading of 2.80GHz, x21. Now I have it overclocked, thus, it's reading 3.4GHz, but I do believe this is normal. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, Evildemon989 and Lnx2Mac indeed on MIT Status, "Turbo" reads x22 and "Non-turbo" x21. But why on earth the boot screen shows x22 all the time? Isn't it supposed to show the stock speed, initially, if there's no tampering done at all? On my other mobo, the actual speed is shown (Core2Quat at 2.83MHz).

Nevertheless, when I reach the desktop after booting, on the P55M-UD4 & i7-860, at About This Mac box, I do see 2.8GHz speed. I am using the latest RC of Chameleon (build 292)...

Since VoodooMonitor (which was nice to see live the speed-steps and ups/downs of frequencies) is causing a KP at all times, do you guys have a Freq/Step alternative tool to check live what's happening on the system? I am told over ProjectOSX that the reason VoodooMonitor crashes is that our base freq. is 133 and not 333. The tool was only made for 333. On my other mobo, it was 333 and had 8.5 as multiplier, resulting to a working VoodooMonitor...

Finally, Lnx2Mac, regarding my other comment about the default RAM voltage being lower in F10 BIOS; that's my faint recollection of the status screens, not seen it written anywhere...

konsti said:
Yes, Evildemon989 and Lnx2Mac indeed on MIT Status, "Turbo" reads x22 and "Non-turbo" x21. But why on earth the boot screen shows x22 all the time? Isn't it supposed to show the stock speed, initially, if there's no tampering done at all? On my other mobo, the actual speed is shown (Core2Quat at 2.83MHz).

Nevertheless, when I reach the desktop after booting, on the P55M-UD4 & i7-860, at About This Mac box, I do see 2.8GHz speed. I am using the latest RC of Chameleon (build 292)...
Well, if your other Mobo and Processor is of the Core 2 Quad variety, it will not show a Turbo Boost speed because Core 2 products don't have that feature. Only Core i* series processors do.

Also, about why it shows the Turbo speed, I don't know. You'd have to ask Gigabyte for your answer, seeing as they designed the board. :lol:

The fact that you have a Core i7-8** series processor also supports the idea of it showing 2.93GHz. In the original implementation of turbo boost(The Core i7-9** series), the processor could only boost so far. In the coming of the LGA 1156's Processors, Intel added another feature to processor. This feature has to deal with load on all 4 of the cores. If there is load on all 4 of the cores, the processor may jump and add a speed bin, aka going from x21 to x22. This is probably why you are seeing that. But anyways, it's normal so I wouldn't worry about it. Try to turn off turbo boost in your BIOS, and look. It should show 2.8GHz. Flip it back on of course. :)

I am not having this problem with the F10 BIOS since I moved that portion of code.
I'm not sure why or I'd offer some help, but I have no stability issues whatsoever and no sleep issues either.

I offer my DSDL again if anyone is interested in trying to figure out why this is NOT affecting my system.

o_O

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    17.4 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back