CPU
i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to BIOS versions of August 2010...

With the release of new Gigabyte BIOS versions at the end of June 2010 (F10 for P55M-UD4, F11 for the P55M-UD2, etc.), I found some issues with it.

Some members reported sleep issues, so I caved in to test it.
After updating to F10, I observed USB problems with it even before booting into the bootloader or OS X.

While this has been observed in the GA-P55M-UD4 with F10, it might affect other motherboards, so don't discard this option if you start having new issues with the Jun2010 BIOS on your rig...

The symptoms I get are that USB devices (i.e. my mouse) are powered on for about 2 seconds, and immediately power off... Even without entering OSX... Just in the BIOS setup...

I observed this on all 12 USB ports, using a perfectly working USB mouse, which works OK with my MBP, and on the same rig under F9...

After all, it seems this is somehow Mouse dependent... See: viewtopic.php?p=32222&f=3#p32222

Interestingly enough, I found that it's kept powered up if I plug it half-way... but goes off the moment I plug it all the way in.

Currently, as this happens even in the BIOS setup just after cold-booting, I don't think this is something which can be solved with the DSDT...

I'm using the same BIOS settings as with F9, and are the ones I posted in my blog in http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/optimal-bios-configuration.html

My recommendation right now is stay with F9 until F11 is released...
My recommendation now is to test F11, and if you have issues, roll-back to F9, or try a different mouse...

My system works 100%, even auto-sleep...
If you need the Database's DSDT for F9, you can get it here: Public/DSDT-GA-P55M-UD4-F9.aml

I opened a ticket with Gigabyte to let them know about this, and will post updates here upon availability...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Just got word from Gigabyte Global Technical Service...

[i said:
Gigabyte Global Technical Service[/i]]
In fact, new version BIOS can fix some known system problem or improve H/W compatibility; however, sometimes, new version BIOS is possible to cause new system problem with some specific system configuration. We would suggest you roll BIOS back to F9.
Guess we'll have to stay on F9 until a fix is released (hopefully in F11).

Currently I have F11 on my UD2 and I haven't experienced anything like this.

F10 broke a previously-working build for me. I have since reverted to F9 and all is happy again.

I don't think this has anything to do with the BIOS. I have the same hardware (except for the case, PSU, & DVD) and noticed that the USB ports are always on. By this, I mean that if the PC is off, and I plug in a USB-powered HD, it lights up and starts to spin! Could I have done something wrong while putting my 1st build together? I didn't see a BIOS option (in F9 or F10) that allows the ports to be always live. And I changed only the settings as stated in your blog.

Anthony said:
I don't think this has anything to do with the BIOS. I have the same hardware (except for the case, PSU, & DVD) and noticed that the USB ports are always on. By this, I mean that if the PC is off, and I plug in a USB-powered HD, it lights up and starts to spin! Could I have done something wrong while putting my 1st build together? I didn't see a BIOS option (in F9 or F10) that allows the ports to be always live. And I changed only the settings as stated in your blog.
Just throwing it out there. Have you done anything with Gigabyte's On/Off for iPod, iPad, and iPhone charging?

Anthony said:
I don't think this has anything to do with the BIOS. I have the same hardware (except for the case, PSU, & DVD) and noticed that the USB ports are always on. By this, I mean that if the PC is off, and I plug in a USB-powered HD, it lights up and starts to spin! Could I have done something wrong while putting my 1st build together?
Indeed, that's the expected behavior... USB kept on to charge mobile phones, etc.

However, upon entering the BIOS, these go off and are not awaken again until the OS drivers kick in.
That's the problem !

I didn't see a BIOS option (in F9 or F10) that allows the ports to be always live. And I changed only the settings as stated in your blog.
Gigabyte provides a Windows utility for this, it's not a BIOS option.

Evildemon989 said:
Anthony said:
Just throwing it out there. Have you done anything with Gigabyte's On/Off for iPod, iPad, and iPhone charging?
That's the utility I mentioned.
No. Can't do, as I don't run Windows on this machine.

Breaking news... June 2010 BIOS Problem spotted on GA-P55M-UD2 as well...

thundermustard experienced a similar problem with his Apple USB keyboard not waking up on GA-P55M-UD2 with BIOS F11... See details in: viewtopic.php?p=30043#p30043

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back