Contribute
Register

Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I can be much help here, but I tried several times to install using the methods in this post, in the end the only thing that worked for me was following this guide: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index ... ostro_3700 with the 10.7.0 dmg I purchased previously.

Then I used the info in this thread to tweak my install. I had everything except card reader, HDMI volume out, and battery icon working. I lost my brightness slider in the 10.7.3 update though.

:thumbup: Thanks! I'll give it a try. I have Lion in my iMac so I suppose I can create a Lion DVD.

Keep you updated.

:)

g00fy1 said:
In case anyone is still following this thread, I was able to get HDMI audio working by following this guide: viewtopic.php?f=162&t=31947 :thumbup:

I replaced the Device (P0P2) section with the generic HDMI code as explained in the guide.

The only thing I'm missing now is my brightness slider and the card reader. I have the Ricoh card reader so that's probably a no-go unless I find one of the RealTek readers on eBay. Even without those items working, this is a great hackintosh laptop, I'm very happy with it.

At any rate, I'm going to keep plugging away at this, when I'm done I'll put together my Extra folder and my DSDT for others to use.

Hello G00fy1
Could you dump your DSDT.aml so i can have a look ?
i am interested in your HDMI audio edits.
Sleep doesn't work for me. Haven't found a working solution.
Only disappointment in the vostro laptop is the resolution (1366x768 matte display).
Wish i could find a compatible 1600x900 matte display for my 15"6 laptop !
brightness slider and function keys need DSDT edits mentioned in this thread, did you do it ?
My card reader worked OOB.

Hello g00fy1,

i had a look at your DSDT.aml
Device (PNLF) is above Device (PWRB) , yours is below (i don't know the importance of this)
in Device (PNLF) you have extra lines :

Method (_BCL, 0, NotSerialized)
{
Return (BCLS)
}

You can try to delete these lines and see what happens.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 21.25.35.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-14 at 21.25.35.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 254
Just upgraded my RAM to 8Go (replaced 2x2Go by 2x4Go).
Bought on Amazon Samsung RAM 2 x 4Go DDR3 - 1333 PC3 10600 DIMM for 57 euros.
ref (M471B5273CH0-CH9) perfectly compatible as it is designed for iMac.
Saw some improvement on Photoshop CS6 beta. Will benefit Parallels desktop 7 virtual machines.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 13.41.55.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-21 at 13.41.55.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 204
Hi Guys,

Ever since i updated to 10.7.4, whenever i close the lid of my laptop while it is powered on, it attempts to go to sleep and it freezes. I have to press the power button to get it to power back on.

Is anybody else experiencing this ?

Thx,

Adi

adisor19 said:
Hi Guys,

Ever since i updated to 10.7.4, whenever i close the lid of my laptop while it is powered on, it attempts to go to sleep and it freezes. I have to press the power button to get it to power back on.

Thx,

Adi

Hello Adi,

still didn't apply 10.7.4 update since i'm still looking for a reliable way to patch AICPUPM.kext (no speedstepper version found).
i guess you are using NullCPUPM.kext !?

unix68 said:
adisor19 said:
Hi Guys,

Thx,

Adi

Hello Adi,

still didn't apply 10.7.4 update since i'm still looking for a reliable way to patch AICPUPM.kext (no speedstepper version found).
i guess you are using NullCPUPM.kext !?

Yup, I've never managed to use AICPUPM.kext without a KP.. so i stuck with no sleep for now.

Adi

Finally managed to update to 10.7.4
We must realize that this is getting less and less vanilla after each update.
Had to patch AICPUPM.kext (193.0.0) with a perl script from Oldnapalm at Insanelymac.com
replaced IOPCIFamily.kext (v 2.6.8) with version 2.6.3
replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.5) with version 1.3.5
replaced IO80211Family.kext with version 4.1.2 (messed up on this one, edits on new version should have worked)
replaced AppleHDA.kext with Apple HDA rollback (version 1.7.9a4)
used Multibeast to update fakesmc.kext and added fakesmc motherboard plugins.
No problem with shutdown. I must try sleep.

good news with HWMonitor.app . CPU is stepping ! at least six frequencies seen.
Other goods news : temperature is lower in Lion => same temperatures as Snow Leopard.
Geekbench is higher than before but i changed RAM from 4 to 8 Go !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 21.41.36.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-18 at 21.41.36.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 280
unix68 said:
Had to patch AICPUPM.kext (193.0.0) with a perl script from Oldnapalm at Insanelymac.com
replaced IO80211Family.kext with version 4.1.2 (messed up on this one, edits on new version should have worked)

Other goods news : temperature is lower in Lion => same temperatures as Snow Leopard.

Hi unix68,

My vostro 3700 (i5-520m, gt330m, non Optimus) is running OSX 10.6.8 with minihack's DSDT PATCHING (sleep and speedstep is not working).

I am trying to install LION and I have some questions about speedstep.
When I use the patched AICPUPM.kext to enable speedstep, do I need SSDTs in E/E and add Scope (_PR) in my DSDT? Do I need to add any strings in my boot plist?
Is turbo boost working, after enabling speedstep?

JackyJaff said:
unix68 said:

Hi unix68,

My vostro 3700 (i5-520m, gt330m, non Optimus) is running OSX 10.6.8 with minihack's DSDT PATCHING (sleep and speedstep is not working).

I am trying to install LION and I have some questions about speedstep.
When I use the patched AICPUPM.kext to enable speedstep, do I need SSDTs in E/E and add Scope (_PR) in my DSDT? Do I need to add any strings in my boot plist?
Is turbo boost working, after enabling speedstep?

Hello and welcome to Tonymacx86.com forum !
First thing is to get correct IRQs for HPET in DSDT.aml otherwise, you will probably get a kernel panic (read earlier posts in this subject).
You also need to find the correct Mac model, i'm using MacBookPro6,2 in smbios.plist.
Find a 17 inches MacBookPro model that best fits your CPU and GPU.
in my boot.plist i have

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<String>Yes</string>

Chimera is loading files from Extra folder:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml

These files were extracted in Linux. I used DSDTse to make some edits (Minihack helped me first with necessary edits). I made some changes to scope (_PR) in DSDT taking information from SSDT files (again read previous posts).
Speedstep is working. As for turboboost, i think so but it is difficult to find tools as MSR Tools doesn't work in 64bit mode. HWMonitor.app doesn't give over clocked frequencies.
It takes time to make speedster work but you will be rewarded when it works on your computer !
Sleep works but it never wakes up , it reboots. So there is still work to do !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back