Contribute
Register

Vostro 3xxx series - Installation and dual boot guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
unix68 said:
Finally managed to update to 10.7.4
We must realize that this is getting less and less vanilla after each update.
Had to patch AICPUPM.kext (193.0.0) with a perl script from Oldnapalm at Insanelymac.com
replaced IOPCIFamily.kext (v 2.6.8) with version 2.6.3
replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.5) with version 1.3.5
replaced IO80211Family.kext with version 4.1.2 (messed up on this one, edits on new version should have worked)
replaced AppleHDA.kext with Apple HDA rollback (version 1.7.9a4)
used Multibeast to update fakesmc.kext and added fakesmc motherboard plugins.
No problem with shutdown. I must try sleep.

good news with HWMonitor.app . CPU is stepping ! at least six frequencies seen.
Other goods news : temperature is lower in Lion => same temperatures as Snow Leopard.
Geekbench is higher than before but i changed RAM from 4 to 8 Go !

Hi unix68,

My vostro 3700 (i5-520m, gt330m, non Optimus) is running OSX 10.6.8 with minihack's DSDT PATCHING (sleep and speedstep is not working).

I am trying to install LION and I have some questions about speedstep.
When I use the patched AICPUPM.kext to enable speedstep, do I need SSDTs in E/E and add Scope (_PR) in my DSDT? Do I need to add any strings in my boot plist?
Is turbo boost working, after enabling speedstep?

JackyJaff said:
unix68 said:
Finally managed to update to 10.7.4
We must realize that this is getting less and less vanilla after each update.
Had to patch AICPUPM.kext (193.0.0) with a perl script from Oldnapalm at Insanelymac.com
replaced IOPCIFamily.kext (v 2.6.8) with version 2.6.3
replaced AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.5) with version 1.3.5
replaced IO80211Family.kext with version 4.1.2 (messed up on this one, edits on new version should have worked)
replaced AppleHDA.kext with Apple HDA rollback (version 1.7.9a4)
used Multibeast to update fakesmc.kext and added fakesmc motherboard plugins.
No problem with shutdown. I must try sleep.

good news with HWMonitor.app . CPU is stepping ! at least six frequencies seen.
Other goods news : temperature is lower in Lion => same temperatures as Snow Leopard.
Geekbench is higher than before but i changed RAM from 4 to 8 Go !

Hi unix68,

My vostro 3700 (i5-520m, gt330m, non Optimus) is running OSX 10.6.8 with minihack's DSDT PATCHING (sleep and speedstep is not working).

I am trying to install LION and I have some questions about speedstep.
When I use the patched AICPUPM.kext to enable speedstep, do I need SSDTs in E/E and add Scope (_PR) in my DSDT? Do I need to add any strings in my boot plist?
Is turbo boost working, after enabling speedstep?

Hello and welcome to Tonymacx86.com forum !
First thing is to get correct IRQs for HPET in DSDT.aml otherwise, you will probably get a kernel panic (read earlier posts in this subject).
You also need to find the correct Mac model, i'm using MacBookPro6,2 in smbios.plist.
Find a 17 inches MacBookPro model that best fits your CPU and GPU.
in my boot.plist i have

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<String>Yes</string>

Chimera is loading files from Extra folder:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml

These files were extracted in Linux. I used DSDTse to make some edits (Minihack helped me first with necessary edits). I made some changes to scope (_PR) in DSDT taking information from SSDT files (again read previous posts).
Speedstep is working. As for turboboost, i think so but it is difficult to find tools as MSR Tools doesn't work in 64bit mode. HWMonitor.app doesn't give over clocked frequencies.
It takes time to make speedster work but you will be rewarded when it works on your computer !
Sleep works but it never wakes up , it reboots. So there is still work to do !

unix68 said:
Hello and welcome to Tonymacx86.com forum !
First thing is to get correct IRQs for HPET in DSDT.aml otherwise, you will probably get a kernel panic (read earlier posts in this subject).
You also need to find the correct Mac model, i'm using MacBookPro6,2 in smbios.plist.
Find a 17 inches MacBookPro model that best fits your CPU and GPU.
in my boot.plist i have

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<String>Yes</string>

Chimera is loading files from Extra folder:
DSDT.aml
SSDT.aml
SSDT-1.aml
SSDT-2.aml

These files were extracted in Linux. I used DSDTse to make some edits (Minihack helped me first with necessary edits). I made some changes to scope (_PR) in DSDT taking information from SSDT files (again read previous posts).
Speedstep is working. As for turboboost, i think so but it is difficult to find tools as MSR Tools doesn't work in 64bit mode. HWMonitor.app doesn't give over clocked frequencies.
It takes time to make speedster work but you will be rewarded when it works on your computer !
Sleep works but it never wakes up , it reboots. So there is still work to do !

Hi unix68, Thanks a lot!!
I will try it. Hope I can make it work.

Hi guys,

I started yesterday and I'm pretty excited about this stuff! finally got my vostro 3700 (intel core i5, GT330, 4 GB) running 10.6.5. (thanks for all your posts, helped me alot!!)
But now I'm wondering if there are more people working on a lion upgrade?
Is this even possible with my vostro type? I've heard some stories but I haven't heard any success stories with my specs.. Maybe I missed some info but is anyone sure that this is even possible? can give more specs if required

Maarten

maartehn said:
Hi guys,

I started yesterday and I'm pretty excited about this stuff! finally got my vostro 3700 (intel core i5, GT330, 4 GB) running 10.6.5. (thanks for all your posts, helped me alot!!)
But now I'm wondering if there are more people working on a lion upgrade?
Is this even possible with my vostro type? I've heard some stories but I haven't heard any success stories with my specs.. Maybe I missed some info but is anyone sure that this is even possible? can give more specs if required

Maarten

Hello Maarten,

Take some time to read the last 20 pages of this topic talking about Lion.
Just one essential question , do you have Optimus or not ? if you have Optimus then no graphics acceleration !
Upgrade is possible. I would advise you to :
update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8
partition your hard drive adding 2 partitions (one for Installer, one for Lion)
clone your Snow Leopard Partition using Disk Utility
Purchase Lion on the AppStore
Upgrade the cloned partition (look for a guide in TonyMac's blog)
In case you run through kernel panics, you can repair from Snow Leopard partition.
It takes some time but it is worth it.

Hi!
Lion 10.7 installed.
Does not work after installing Lion:
Sleep, display brightness control, speedstep.
Help edit DSDT!
Set using unibeast.
Extra folder attached.

Intel HM57
Processor - Intel Core i5 2.26 GHz
Memory - 6 gig DDR3 1333 MHz
sound - controller IDT 92HD81
Video - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 1G
Network adapter - Realtek RTL8111TL
Vostro 3700

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
Little help pls. I'm trying to disable GPU on DSDT and use only HD3000.

Toshiba P770
HM65 chipset
HD3000
Nvidia Optimus GT520M

So has anybody managed to get ML installed on our good old Vostro 3x00 ?

I'm happy with Lion so far but i'm tempted to get the latest and greatest ;)

Adi

I'm running 10.8.2, everything working except my battery icon. Some boots I get a kernel panic though and coming out of sleep mode breaks my usbs a bit (I have to replug my mouse to get it to work again and usb KB never works again until reboot). Otherwise it works perfect though. Full graphics and boots very fast. A lot of issues with mine might have to do with my own mistakes, I'm thinking I might have to reinstall once more. For the record I do have a switchable graphics model, I'm using the Intel HD3000 obviously and have little to no hope to ever having the ATI 6490m working in OSX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back