Contribute
Register

Vintage build

Status
Not open for further replies.
powerpcg5 said:
Oh you don't have SATA? Confidence meter dropping down

Sata was back to the future back then. If I need to buy a SATA board I'll be over budget. The object is to not spend, but learn, ask questions, and then I'll go and fly. I've still got my training wheels on. :D

....and thanks mate - I've a lot to learn. and the support's what I need.

be nice if I have iTunes to talk apple-talk to my 4S instead of gobbledygook

I couldn't find anything about this board so I can't make sure predictions but it should work. There is no bios setting I could predict, the AHCI setting is only for SATA so its not applicable here. Use 10.6.6 or earlier. The processor/chipset will work, the graphics will work (set GraphicsEnabler=yes), IDE shouldn't be a problem either, just repartition into GUID in Setup. I figure if it will run the bootloader it will run X.

Speaking of the bootloader; that board may or may not boot from USB, so you'll need a bootloader on a CD, iBoot + multibeast is the way to go. See the post at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Good luck, you'll need it for the audio and network,
Evan

emcourtney said:
I couldn't find anything about this board so I can't make sure predictions but it should work. There is no bios setting I could predict, the AHCI setting is only for SATA so its not applicable here. Use 10.6.6 or earlier. The processor/chipset will work, the graphics will work (set GraphicsEnabler=yes), IDE shouldn't be a problem either, just repartition into GUID in Setup. I figure if it will run the bootloader it will run X.

Speaking of the bootloader; that board may or may not boot from USB, so you'll need a bootloader on a CD, iBoot + multibeast is the way to go. See the post at http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/04/ ... -x-on.html

Good luck, you'll need it for the audio and network,
Evan

Thank you Evan - This is what I'm looking for. So - mobo and IDE HDD can stay. Great. That's money in the bank.

I got the original description wrong. It is actually a Foxconn P4M8907MB

Sheesh. I must been tired last night. I popped my head into this box that is being reborn as a Hackintosh, and the first thing I see is SATA..

This after being in several shops, making calls and walking in with a (used) 80GB IDE HDD.

Oh well, I may be a vintage as well o_O

Got past the first hurdle as a matter of testing before taking the BIG INSTALL.

Snow Leopard and all other software downloaded and ready to go - almost no money spent :headbang:

Spend so far - original box complete - bought years ago, so no cash outlay currently. :p
  • Used IDE HDD $17.50[/*:m:ss427loj]
  • DVD writer - $15.80[/*:m:ss427loj]
  • Cable - $ 1.33[/*:m:ss427loj]
  • bandwidth used- $29.28[/*:m:ss427loj]
  • Blank CD $ 0.26[/*:m:ss427loj]
  • Total to date US$64.17 [/*:m:ss427loj]

So vintage is maybe not such a bad idea for the empty-pocket-no-budget-entry-level-hackintosh. Watch this space

I get 2 icons when the iBoot has completed,
the iBoot and a Windows icon.
I ejected the iBoot CD, inserted Snow leopard, F5'd, and then I get the Windows icon only? Doesn't go further :?:

hackintosh iboot screens 001.jpg

hackintosh iboot screens 002.jpg

Attachments

• hackintosh iboot screens 001.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 123
  • hackintosh iboot screens 002.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 124
parafanaylya said:
I get 2 icons when the iBoot has completed,
the iBoot and a Windows icon.
I ejected the iBoot CD, inserted Snow leopard, F5'd, and then I get the Windows icon only? Doesn't go further :?:

At that point, you would typically select the Snow Leopard DVD and type something like -v then enter, to go through that stage of the boot process.

The icon for 'New Volume' - is this a Windows partition or your downloaded Snow Leopard ?

WonkeyDonkey said:
At that point, you would typically select the Snow Leopard DVD and type something like -v then enter, to go through that stage of the boot process.

The icon for 'New Volume' - is this a Windows partition or your downloaded Snow Leopard ?

I selected the iboot icon, ejected the iBoot CD, installed the DVD, pressed F5, and it defaults to the windows icon. The iBoot iCon disappears

The "New Volume' windows icon appears after the iBoot has completed its task. I can toggle between the 2, but I left it on iBoot

My BIOS does not support/offer ACHI. SATA control offers RAID or IDE. I dn't ssem to be able to get further than the F5 or alternate fix options after step 4.

HDD is formatted NTFS. I have read that older versions eg 10.5.x may work, and I am busy formatting the HDD to FAT32 fs. Any feedback peeps? :?:

Have an external 250GB SATA drive. Hopefully this will do the AHCI setting :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back