Contribute
Register

Video cards in Buyer's Guide: no more mini DP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomR

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Performa
  3. Power Mac
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I just scanned through all of the links in the Buyer's Guide for video card options (both recommended & alternate). Is it my imagination, or do we not have any video cards that have mini DP any more?

I have an Cinema Display in the studio - the non-Thunderbolt/mini DP variety. I've been following very closely the threads for the new X99 boards & temporary build guides. Of course, with one of these builds, I'd need to go back to a discrete video card (since the Haswell-E/Socket 2011 configurations do not support integrated Intel 4600 graphics).

In my very first CustoMac for my studio, I used a GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870 that had mini DP. I'm assuming that, if I could find one of these, it would still be compatible...??

I just scanned through all of the links in the Buyer's Guide for video card options (both recommended & alternate). Is it my imagination, or do we not have any video cards that have mini DP any more?
My older 5770 still works, so a 6870 should also.

For the R9 series rebranding of HD 6xxx series cards equivalents

R7 260X = 7790
R9 270 = About 7850
R9 270X = 7870 GHz Edition
R9 280X = 7970 GHz Edition
R9 290/290X = Unparalleled by last-gen

Only one I have seen with the mini DP is this one - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11221-01-40G/dp/B00FLMKR78/

My older 5770 still works, so a 6870 should also.

For the R9 series rebranding of HD 6xxx series cards equivalents

R7 260X = 7790
R9 270 = About 7850
R9 270X = 7870 GHz Edition
R9 280X = 7970 GHz Edition
R9 290/290X = Unparalleled by last-gen

Only one I have seen with the mini DP is this one - http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-11221-01-40G/dp/B00FLMKR78/

Thanks for all the great info, GB! :) BTW, I just got an email from one of my favorite online retailers (they were the supplier for my current GA-Z77X-UP5 TH). They are having a sale on some video cards - I noticed this one on sale:

PowerColor AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPort

Even though it's manufactured by PowerColor, it appears to be the series/model that you detailed in your great list above. And for $170, it has 2 Mini-DP's (in addition to DVI and HDMI). Any thoughts on compatibility...??

Thanks for all the great info, GB! :) BTW, I just got an email from one of my favorite online retailers (they were the supplier for my current GA-Z77X-UP5 TH). They are having a sale on some video cards - I noticed this one on sale:

PowerColor AMD Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 2DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPort

Even though it's manufactured by PowerColor, it appears to be the series/model that you detailed in your great list above. And for $170, it has 2 Mini-DP's (in addition to DVI and HDMI). Any thoughts on compatibility...??

Seems to have the same specs - Should be OK, PowerColor is usually a good card - looks like they used the reference card and just swapped out the cooler with their 3 fan version, something I prefer, as the single fan reference version sometimes sounds like a jet engine on a KC135A cranking up for takeoff.

Seems to have the same specs - Should be OK...I prefer, as the single fan reference version sometimes sounds like a jet engine on a KC135A cranking up for takeoff.

HA! KC135A!!! Great visual/audible! LOL

Appreciate your guidance & input, GB!! :)

--B

HA! KC135A!!! Great visual/audible! LOL

Appreciate your guidance & input, GB!! :)

--B

MSI GTX 760, as seen here..

Its quiet, works 100% OOB and has 2 x Mini-DP. I have the same monitor as you and it works perfectly.

MSI GTX 760, as seen here..

Its quiet, works 100% OOB and has 2 x Mini-DP. I have the same monitor as you and it works perfectly.

Hey WD - Thanks for the tip - but I don't think that card supports 4K. I tried checking it out on the MSI product specs page & it says max resolution is 2560x1600. I'm actually also going to be getting a 4k monitor, but until I do, I need the mini DP to drive my Cinema Display.

...unless you've had experiences otherwise on that card supporting 4K...

THANKS!!
--B

Hey WD - Thanks for the tip - but I don't think that card supports 4K. I tried checking it out on the MSI product specs page & it says max resolution is 2560x1600. I'm actually also going to be getting a 4k monitor, but until I do, I need the mini DP to drive my Cinema Display.

...unless you've had experiences otherwise on that card supporting 4K...

THANKS!!
--B

Not 4K, just my 27" cinema display. DisplayPort model same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back