Very Bad Final Cut Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
CPU
Graphics
GTX 960 4GB
A month ago i finished my first Hackingtosh with your support. The video and audio were problematic. Everything is working right now and Nvidia Web is running smooth.

This is my hardware build :

Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
Intel Core I7 6700K
32GB Kingston DDR4 HyperX
Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming (4GB)
TpLink Archer Wifi
2x Samsung EVO 750 SSD.

Just installed Final Cut Pro to open some 4K Video. When I start final cut the whole system is freezing for a while. I cannot move the mouse pointer and the video performance is very poor and stuttering. What can I do about that ?

I need help :)

1. The GPU Acceleration in Final Cur Pro only works with AMD cards. That mean you´re running nearly completely on CPU Power.
(native out of cam compressed 4K media will be very difficult)
2. 4K = (RAW? H.264? Apple Pro Res? Which Kind of 4K? Frame-Rate? Panasonic GH-5 10 Bit Footage?
3. Is FCPX stuttering before creating a project? Or is it only by playback a timeline or preview?

Possible Solutions PROXY WORKFLOW
Proxys are small copys of youre 4K footage unpacked to fast and small PRORES PROXY MEDIA FILES

Importing Dialog: create a PROXY file (transcode)
transcode Media after importing: right click on the files
in the viewer choose PROXY

by rendering FCPX automatically uses the original media files or the files you choose

See Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Import Transcode.jpg
    Import Transcode.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 83
  • Proxy.jpeg
    Proxy.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Transcode Media After Import.jpeg
    Transcode Media After Import.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 153
Are we still stuck using AMD cards with Final Cut 10.4? Or does anyone know if there's been a change with High Sierra?

Using a 1080Ti and 4K playback stutters. Premiere works great. Files also play fine using VLC.

Another thread suggested changing BIOS to 5,1 but not sure I want to try that yet since I haven't seen others doing it.

Are we still stuck using AMD cards with Final Cut 10.4? Or does anyone know if there's been a change with High Sierra?

Using a 1080Ti and 4K playback stutters. Premiere works great. Files also play fine using VLC.

Another thread suggested changing BIOS to 5,1 but not sure I want to try that yet since I haven't seen others doing it.

I have a 1080 ti sat in a box and i need to know if i should send it back and get a vega 64 for editing in FCPX and also photoshop stuff etc? Any help hugely appreciated!!!

Right now there are no drivers for the 1080ti and Mojave. It’s been months and still no word when they might come out. Unless you need it for gaming, I’d return the TI and go with the Vega.

Right now there are no drivers for the 1080ti and Mojave. It’s been months and still no word when they might come out. Unless you need it for gaming, I’d return the TI and go with the Vega.

Thanks for your reply! I guess ill do that! Do you know anything about the vega 64 and scrubbing through 4k video in fcpx? Ive heard a few people with problems with stuttering and also fan issues :/ rendering times are really not that important to me as ill just go drink a cup of tea! But i want flawless scrubbing and transitions etc also work a lot in photoshop. Thanks again!!

Graphics cards, Hackintoshes, and Final Cut are problematic but they do work.

There are a lot of factors that effect scrubbing (even on regular Macs). If you make sure "Optimized Media" is on, scrubbing 4K 'should' be great--of course, it just depends on your Hackintosh. I have a lower-end AMD RX560 (previously used a 1080ti on High Sierra) and a Panasonic GH5. Scrubbing 4k, 4k 10-bit is smooth, as is 6K anamorphic.

As you may know though, the 'Optimize Media' feature flips every file to a ProRes format when importing...and that requires a lot of rendering.

Rendering speed is effected by Quicksync. On my system, that means making sure the Intel internal graphics is on. The two cards combined speed up the process considerably. But on Hackintoshes, they don't always play nice together. You may experience black screens or other issues trying to get them to work.

The Vega by itself may still work fine but I'd suspect rendering will be much slower and you may have issues rendering H265.

Also, DRM media (purchased iTunes content) is tied to quicksync...I can't say I fully understand why but, enabling the internal graphics means you will likely not be able to play it. For some, it's not important, but I have a lot of iTunes movies.

Each system is different and it may take some trial-and-error for you to figure out the best combination of settings.

Graphics cards, Hackintoshes, and Final Cut are problematic but they do work.

There are a lot of factors that effect scrubbing (even on regular Macs). If you make sure "Optimized Media" is on, scrubbing 4K 'should' be great--of course, it just depends on your Hackintosh. I have a lower-end AMD RX560 (previously used a 1080ti on High Sierra) and a Panasonic GH5. Scrubbing 4k, 4k 10-bit is smooth, as is 6K anamorphic.

As you may know though, the 'Optimize Media' feature flips every file to a ProRes format when importing...and that requires a lot of rendering.

Rendering speed is effected by Quicksync. On my system, that means making sure the Intel internal graphics is on. The two cards combined speed up the process considerably. But on Hackintoshes, they don't always play nice together. You may experience black screens or other issues trying to get them to work.

The Vega by itself may still work fine but I'd suspect rendering will be much slower and you may have issues rendering H265.

Also, DRM media (purchased iTunes content) is tied to quicksync...I can't say I fully understand why but, enabling the internal graphics means you will likely not be able to play it. For some, it's not important, but I have a lot of iTunes movies.

Each system is different and it may take some trial-and-error for you to figure out the best combination of settings.

Thanks so much for your reply, massive help! I am definitely swaying towards the vega now... Can I ask one final question... when you were using the 1080 ti, how was the 4k scrubbing compared to your AMD RX560 you use now?

So the 1080ti is a beast of a card but on a Hack...well, it's like having a Ferrari but you're stuck driving it in the parking lot.

Final Cut is not optimized for it and seemed to only kick in for playback. It's sad, but my RX560 for $200 performed about the same as the $800 Ti.

Premiere Pro was a different story. Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine is optimized for CUDA, which the TI supports. I could playback any 4K file without having to create optimized/proxy files...and they played back perfectly. No stutters or dropped frames. Rendering was quick and filters like color correction didn't impact playback. On Windows, it's even faster.

I'd love to continue using the Ti but, Nvidia and Apple are not releasing drivers. I called a media rep for Nvidia and they claim it's up to Apple to approve them, which hasn't happened despite Mojave being out since June (if you count the beta release). Who knows why.

If you're looking for a long term solution that is well supported, you're likely better off going with AMD cards.

So the 1080ti is a beast of a card but on a Hack...well, it's like having a Ferrari but you're stuck driving it in the parking lot.

Final Cut is not optimized for it and seemed to only kick in for playback. It's sad, but my RX560 for $200 performed about the same as the $800 Ti.

Premiere Pro was a different story. Adobe's Mercury Playback Engine is optimized for CUDA, which the TI supports. I could playback any 4K file without having to create optimized/proxy files...and they played back perfectly. No stutters or dropped frames. Rendering was quick and filters like color correction didn't impact playback. On Windows, it's even faster.

I'd love to continue using the Ti but, Nvidia and Apple are not releasing drivers. I called a media rep for Nvidia and they claim it's up to Apple to approve them, which hasn't happened despite Mojave being out since June (if you count the beta release). Who knows why.

If you're looking for a long term solution that is well supported, you're likely better off going with AMD cards.

Legend, thanks so much for your straight forward answer and patience`!! Much appreciated... sending back the ti as we speak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back