<< Solved >> Ventura 13.1 | Haswell 4770k | iGPU HD 4600

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Hi all,

I currently have a successful installation of Ventura 13.1 on the following system specs.

• i7 4770k
  • Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP
  • Intel HD Graphics 4600 (1080Ti is disabled with -wegnoegpu)

What I'm sure is a common topic here, and one that's had many a response, I am struggling to "unlock" the full VRAM for my iGPU. I have scoured Google and this forum for guides, posts and advise on what others have tried using to resolve this but no combination seems to be sorting it. General symptoms are choppy/freezing animations and an overall unavoidable sluggishness in applications

About this Mac & Hackintool Output​

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 10.43.33.png

As seen in the above image, 31MB is showing against my "Graphics". I have my SMBIOS set as iMac18,3 which seemed to be perfect to get me to this point, however, after trying various combinations of framebuffer patches, as well as the absence of such, I'm leaning towards me needing a change in SMBIOS to resolve this? (Not to mention the incorrect GPU Name listed in Hackintool)

Current DeviceProperties in Config.plist​

DeviceProperties.PNG

In BIOS, my graphics memory allocation is 64MB and my DVMT Total Memory Size is "MAX".

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to run Ventura on a Haswell system, it's best to use a supported AMD dGPU, not HD4600.

The 18,3 iMac has HD630 graphics and not HD4600 (unsupported).

@trs96

Appreciate the quick response. That sure makes very simple sense..!

I was trying to stick to iGPU for the simplicity in also booting into Windows to utilise my dGPU, but if my best way to get this properly working (without dropping to High Sierra or thereabouts) is to go with an AMD dGPU then so be it!

What I did forget to mention in my post was I believe I read that people had success with using OCLP 0.5.3 to patch their Haswell iGPU and managed to sort their VRAM issues. My attempt to install the prompted "Graphics: Haswell Processors" root patch caused boot issues that I ultimately needed to revert the patch. Whether this was simply due to the iMac18,3 - HD630 mismatch, I'm unsure. IIRC, I do remember it installing a cert for "~Graphics 5000" or similar.

people had success with using OCLP 0.5.3 to patch their Haswell iGPU and managed to sort their VRAM issues.
Many things simply don't work when you patch HD4600 to "work" with Ventura. Certain apps/programs won't even run. Firefox is one example. Completely unusable. Even when OCLP is used. That's why I can't recommend it. The last supported OS for HD4600 is Monterey. It works perfectly with Macmini7,1 which used the similar HD5000 graphics.

If Monterey isn't new enough, sell the 1080 Ti and get a new AMD RX6600 for about $250. That will work for either Windows 10/11 or Ventura. No need to disable the dGPU anymore.

Many things simply don't work when you patch HD4600 to "work" with Ventura. Certain apps/programs won't even run. Firefox is one example. Completely unusable. Even when OCLP is used. That's why I can't recommend it. The last supported OS for HD4600 is Monterey. It works perfectly with Macmini7,1 which used the similar HD5000 graphics.

If Monterey isn't new enough, sell the 1080 Ti and get a new AMD RX6600 for about $250. That will work for either Windows 10/11 or Ventura. No need to disable the dGPU anymore.

Thank you for being concise with your responses.

Happy to report that since yesterday, I have successfully swapped to Monterey and everything on the graphics front now appears to be as it should - even managed to go as far as 1440p output with HDMI. Nice and easy that you can keep the same EFI contents and only need a few select config.plist changes.

Again, thanks!

When running macOS Monterey with a HD4600 IGPU only, you are better served using the Mac mini 7,1 SMBIOS. As it uses a similar Haswell IGPU and is natively supported in Monterey.

The following DeviceProperties would be ideal to maximise the IGPU in your setup.

512808-7c249235fe0b6e8e95e566b97b0d3c79.jpg.png

When running macOS Monterey with a HD4600 IGPU only, you are better served using the Mac mini 7,1 SMBIOS. As it uses a similar Haswell IGPU and is natively supported in Monterey.

The following DeviceProperties would be ideal to maximise the IGPU in your setup.

View attachment 560982

Great stuff - pretty spot on to what I came to after many articles and amendments. I did forget to mention though, yes I did swap to Macmini7,1 after @trs96 's initial recommendation :)

We're running golden.

Yes, Can you share EFI? My was fine in Monterey bit when i update to Ventura not working anymore.

Yes, Can you share EFI? My was fine in Monterey bit when i update to Ventura not working anymore.
your 1050 TI is not supported in Ventura

Back