Contribute
Register

Vendetta's G5 Build (In Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffinslaw said:
I absolutely love that fan controller, do you happen to have the name for it and possibly where you got it from?

Jeffinslaw

Thanks, I like it too. I think it fits the aesthetic the best of the controllers I've seen, and since it's 3.5", I'll be able to utilize it in the HDD rack. :D

It's a Scythe Q8 3.5".

Flybye said:
Hi V. Been reading your thread, and I must say. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you are putting in. :) Although I'm a bit iffy on keeping PART of the old logic board in there lol. ;)

I'm curious about something. Do you remember when you were test fitting the mb i/o shield, and you mentioned you would have to cut up the rear of the case because of the mb i/o shield conflicting with the fan casing? Do you think if you would have actually trimmed the mb i/o shield, that you may have had enough space to not cut up the rear of the case?

My goal is also going to try to keep things looking as stock as possible in the back, and one of the things I keep wondering about was clearance between the i/o shield and the fans if the i/o shield were to be cut as close as possible to the nearest motherboard port. My case should be arriving this week, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. :cool:

Thanks for your comments and questions.

Understandable about being unsure of having the old logic board in there. Honestly, it's one of those ideas I had that I actually like the way it turned out. However, you're going to need to see the final product before you can see the full effect. So, just stay tuned and let me know what you think when it's all done. :thumbup:

Even with trimming the I/O shield, it still would have been a problem because whatever extender you'd be using to extend the backplate to the level of the motherboard I/O would interfere with the stock fan housing. Technically, you could cut the side wall off that extension as well, but personally I didn't think it would look right. It would be cramped and it would look that way too, which I didn't like the thought of. Also, part of what I was trying to do with this build was make it so that new parts could be swapped in if needed, even by other people. Having to cut an I/O shield is just another step I was trying to avoid.

tippmann32503 said:
Hey man,
Ive been checking out this thread pretty regularly and Im definitely impressed with your detail in going stock. Im an Architect, so attention to detail is the very essence of what Im looking for any time I do a project as well. I just picked up a G5 that Im going to be working on as well, but we're in the process of moving, so it's on hold for a bit. More time to just look around and learn from how others have done it, right? I was wondering though, why didn't you just remove the OCZ power socket and solder the cables right to the original mac socket? It very well may be an electrical issue, I was just curious about the rationale behind it. I was looking to do something similar myself.

Thanks tippmann! I look forward to checking out your build progress when you get to it.

As far as the PSU power socket goes, that probably would have technically worked, but I was worried about some of the electrical implications of doing that. There are a number of other components soldered to the power socket itself, and not soldering those directly to the Apple power socket I don't believe would have been a good idea. Alternatively, you could just snip the connections that come from the board and solder in an extensions, and then solder everything back to the Apple power socket. The problem with that is two fold for me. First, I didn't feel confident desoldering all those components from the OCZ socket and resoldering them to the Apple socket as well as they were done by the factory. Secondly, it wouldn't make for the best interchangeability. Do I ever plan to swap out this power supply? No, definitely not. However, stuff does happen, and I'd like to not have to desolder and then do the process all over again if I did need to change the PSU for some reason. And, as it turns out, I am changing the PSU, so it's a good thing I didn't do anything too permanent originally. :D

Vendetta said:
Jeffinslaw said:
I absolutely love that fan controller, do you happen to have the name for it and possibly where you got it from?

Jeffinslaw

Thanks, I like it too. I think it fits the aesthetic the best of the controllers I've seen, and since it's 3.5", I'll be able to utilize it in the HDD rack. :D

I actually found it about 10 mins later well looking at fan controllers! It does look great! I'm trying to figure out where to mount mine...

Jeffinslaw

Vendetta said:
Jeffinslaw said:

Jeffinslaw

It's a Scythe Q8 3.5".

Flybye said:
Hi V. Been reading your thread, and I must say. I'm very impressed with the amount of detail you are putting in. :) Although I'm a bit iffy on keeping PART of the old logic board in there lol. ;)

I'm curious about something. Do you remember when you were test fitting the mb i/o shield, and you mentioned you would have to cut up the rear of the case because of the mb i/o shield conflicting with the fan casing? Do you think if you would have actually trimmed the mb i/o shield, that you may have had enough space to not cut up the rear of the case?

My goal is also going to try to keep things looking as stock as possible in the back, and one of the things I keep wondering about was clearance between the i/o shield and the fans if the i/o shield were to be cut as close as possible to the nearest motherboard port. My case should be arriving this week, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible. :cool:

Thanks for your comments and questions.

Understandable about being unsure of having the old logic board in there. Honestly, it's one of those ideas I had that I actually like the way it turned out. However, you're going to need to see the final product before you can see the full effect. So, just stay tuned and let me know what you think when it's all done. :thumbup:

Even with trimming the I/O shield, it still would have been a problem because whatever extender you'd be using to extend the backplate to the level of the motherboard I/O would interfere with the stock fan housing. Technically, you could cut the side wall off that extension as well, but personally I didn't think it would look right. It would be cramped and it would look that way too, which I didn't like the thought of. Also, part of what I was trying to do with this build was make it so that new parts could be swapped in if needed, even by other people. Having to cut an I/O shield is just another step I was trying to avoid.

tippmann32503 said:
Hey man,
Ive been checking out this thread pretty regularly and Im definitely impressed with your detail in going stock. Im an Architect, so attention to detail is the very essence of what Im looking for any time I do a project as well. I just picked up a G5 that Im going to be working on as well, but we're in the process of moving, so it's on hold for a bit. More time to just look around and learn from how others have done it, right? I was wondering though, why didn't you just remove the OCZ power socket and solder the cables right to the original mac socket? It very well may be an electrical issue, I was just curious about the rationale behind it. I was looking to do something similar myself.

Thanks tippmann! I look forward to checking out your build progress when you get to it.

As far as the PSU power socket goes, that probably would have technically worked, but I was worried about some of the electrical implications of doing that. There are a number of other components soldered to the power socket itself, and not soldering those directly to the Apple power socket I don't believe would have been a good idea. Alternatively, you could just snip the connections that come from the board and solder in an extensions, and then solder everything back to the Apple power socket. The problem with that is two fold for me. First, I didn't feel confident desoldering all those components from the OCZ socket and resoldering them to the Apple socket as well as they were done by the factory. Secondly, it wouldn't make for the best interchangeability. Do I ever plan to swap out this power supply? No, definitely not. However, stuff does happen, and I'd like to not have to desolder and then do the process all over again if I did need to change the PSU for some reason. And, as it turns out, I am changing the PSU, so it's a good thing I didn't do anything too permanent originally. :D

I get what you're saying, but for the price of PSU's now a days (I spent under $40 for my 600W after rebates), I wouldn't mind taking a chance for the sake of permanence. That being said, I would be more concerned about losing the original G5 PSU housing than my OCZ PSU itself lol. Putting in a little extension cable like you did isn't a bad idea though, and it's not like it's going to be seen. I'm still debating on what Im going to do. Im assuming your G5 came with power cord? or are you buying one used?

tippmann32503 said:
I get what you're saying, but for the price of PSU's now a days (I spent under $40 for my 600W after rebates), I wouldn't mind taking a chance for the sake of permanence. That being said, I would be more concerned about losing the original G5 PSU housing than my OCZ PSU itself lol. Putting in a little extension cable like you did isn't a bad idea though, and it's not like it's going to be seen. I'm still debating on what Im going to do. Im assuming your G5 came with power cord? or are you buying one used?

To clarify, I wasn't worried about the permanence of soldering the OCZ psu. Heck, I've already destroyed the housing it came in, so that's of no concern, especially because, as you said, they come relatively cheap. What I was referring to was the permenence of soldering the PSU directly to the Apple socket. Should I need to change PSUs in the future, I'd need to desolder that Apple socket and reuse it. The way I've done it, I can through any PSU inside and just plug the extension in and I'm on my way. Also, as you said, the internals of the PSU aren't seen, so it's not something I concerned myself with. That's sort of how I've approached this build. Of course I want everything to a 'T', but the truth is if you're not going to see it at all, I'm not going to split hairs for it. :D

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back