Vega VII
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

Recently I replaced my GPU from 1070 to Vega 64 (Gigabyte GV-RXVEGA64-8GD-B) on my z170 system. For the first attempt with 10.13.3, the system was kept rebooting even after clean install. So I upgraded to 10,13.4 b6 which allow me to reach at least the desktop screen.

The problem I have is that the acceleration is not available. The About Mac and graphics sections show the GPU as 'Radeon RX Vega 64 8176 MB', but there is no 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' thing.
スクリーンショット 2018-03-23 0.52.02.png
スクリーンショット 2018-03-23 0.51.51.png
I tried the configurations with
- Whatevergreen.kext + Lilu.kext
- Set RadeonDeInit in config.plist
- Just disable above both
but their results were same :(

Also tried changing SMBIOS to 17,1 / 18,3 / 19,1 but no luck. Disabling IGPU was not solve the problem.

I doubt just the GPU card is something wrong because I bought it from a miner… But under Windows 10, it shows expected performance both with the LuxMark and games.

When I replaced the GPU with RX580 taken from another pc, it worked perfectly with the metal support. So my configuration itself is valid.

スクリーンショット 2018-03-22 21.56.14.png

So I am really stuck here, could anyone help me what to do next ?

Hi,

Recently I replaced my GPU from 1070 to Vega 64 (Gigabyte GV-RXVEGA64-8GD-B) on my z170 system. For the first attempt with 10.13.3, the system was kept rebooting even after clean install. So I upgraded to 10,13.4 b6 which allow me to reach at least the desktop screen.

The problem I have is that the acceleration is not available. The About Mac and graphics sections show the GPU as 'Radeon RX Vega 64 8176 MB', but there is no 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' thing.
View attachment 320284
View attachment 320286

Also tried changing SMBIOS to 17,1 / 18,3 / 19,1 but no luck. Disabling IGPU was not solve the problem.

I doubt just the GPU card is something wrong because I bought it from a miner… But under Windows 10, it shows expected performance both with the LuxMark and games.

When I replaced the GPU with RX580 taken from another pc, it worked perfectly with the metal support. So my configuration itself is valid.

View attachment 320285

You're using the wrong SMBIOS. Use iMac 18,1 or iMac Pro 1,1. Lilu + Whatevergreen is recommended.

Gideon, you say you have the internal GPU enabled with 256MB assigned to it, are you using it or are you saying that it helps with overall stability with the AMD GPU?

You're using the wrong SMBIOS. Use iMac 18,1 or iMac Pro 1,1. Lilu + Whatevergreen is recommended.
Thank you for the reply. I tried both SMBIOS which were selected from the list in the clover configurator and installed the Whatevergree + Lilu, but no acceleration.

Hi,

View attachment 320284
View attachment 320286

View attachment 320285

use iMac Pro 1,1.

If no video acceleration, monitor should no way to reach 4K@1080p HiDPI resolution, no 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' show in System Information not equal to no video acceleration, or 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' feature really not supported.

Try MetalFeaturesInspector, see below link.

https://github.com/Gaulomatic/Metal-Features-Inspector/releases/tag/1.0.0

in 10.13.4,, remove all radeint and whatevergreen. if still no acceleration, it may be related to Z170 motherboard.

Disabling Whatsevergreen.kext and radeint to be unchecked did same results. Also tried to replace the Vega 64 with a RX580 board working on another z370 based system, then the result was kernel panic and reboot on 10.13.3. Moreover installing the RX580 to z170 system worked all fine. So it is not the motherboard issue.

If no video acceleration, monitor should no way to reach 4K@1080p HiDPI resolution, no 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' show in System Information not equal to no video acceleration, or 'Metal support, macOS GPUFamily1 v3' feature really not supported.

Try MetalFeaturesInspector, see below link.

https://github.com/Gaulomatic/Metal-Features-Inspector/releases/tag/1.0.0

I think you are right, but weird thing is happening, I can reach to 4k@1080p desktop screen but all UIs are so laggy, the launchpad opens like slow motion, chrome is keep rerendering, iTerm is ok, so my guess is that the Metal related functionality is not loaded properly, not sure at all though :( Anyway I will try the MetalFeaturesInspector later today.

My feeling is that the problem is peculiar to the graphics card itself, I am thinking to sell it and get another new one...

Hey guys, trying to figure out. My FCPX doesn't allow me to see HEVC files, they are simply blacked out.It is not crashing , just not displaying, I can hear sound of those clips no problem. My question this :
I've ran MetalFeaturesInsoector, please help me to understand what it is:

Last login: Thu Apr 12 14:46:42 on console

my user name not important/Desktop/MetalFeaturesInspector ; exit;

Metal Features Inspector 1.0.0

Copyright (c) 2018 Tobias Punke

Device ID: 0

Device Name: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

IsHeadless: false

IsLowPower: false

IsRemovable: false

ProgrammableSamplePositionsSupported: true

RasterOrderGroupsSupported: true

Depth24Stencil8PixelFormatSupported: true

MaxThreadgroupMemoryLength: 32768

RecommendedMaxWorkingSetSize: 8573157376

SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v1': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v2': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v3': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_ReadWriteTextureTier2': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'osx_GPUFamily1_v1': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'osx_GPUFamily1_v1': true

SupportsFeatureSet 'osx_ReadWriteTextureTier2': true

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...14 completed.

[Process completed]

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back