Contribute
Register

Vega 64 Problems - No Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to give heads up. It is working now. Was trying to reply few days ago, but moderator did not allow the post. Maybe because of the link to another group. No worries!!

Peace

Hi Kyasu1,

Did you ever figure this out? I just upgraded to a Vega 56 Nano, and have the same problem. I've tried any combination of SMBIOS, RadeonDeinit, Whatevergreen, etc. to no avail. Does anyone have any idea what else to try?

Thank you!

Disabling Whatsevergreen.kext and radeint to be unchecked did same results. Also tried to replace the Vega 64 with a RX580 board working on another z370 based system, then the result was kernel panic and reboot on 10.13.3. Moreover installing the RX580 to z170 system worked all fine. So it is not the motherboard issue.

I think you are right, but weird thing is happening, I can reach to 4k@1080p desktop screen but all UIs are so laggy, the launchpad opens like slow motion, chrome is keep rerendering, iTerm is ok, so my guess is that the Metal related functionality is not loaded properly, not sure at all though :( Anyway I will try the MetalFeaturesInspector later today.

My feeling is that the problem is peculiar to the graphics card itself, I am thinking to sell it and get another new one...

Hi kyasu1,

Did you solve your acceleration problem? I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you do, but I'm on Mojave with Z370 chipset and 8700k, Vega 64.

It turns out the boot argument "-xcpm" prevented acceleration being used on Vega 64. Removing it solves my problem.
Good lord! I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks and that's the key. I never considered disabling this argument but it seems it's not needed now. Well done!

This might be a valuable tip to include in the Radeon Compatibility Guide.

Good lord! I've been struggling with this for a couple of weeks and that's the key. I never considered disabling this argument but it seems it's not needed now. Well done!

This might be a valuable tip to include in the Radeon Compatibility Guide.
Yeah, I didn't think it would matter either since it was for CPU power management pre 10.13. Good to hear that it helps :)

Incase someone else is having the same issue, I fixes it using this thread too in Mojave.

I was on 10.14.3 Mojave and Final Cut pro or iMovie would not work citing Graphics acceleration!

I then realised my Intel HD graphics were never recognised. Thought my Vega 64 was automatically OOB.

That said, I installed intel HD graphics (mine were coffee lake) in the ig-platform-id drop down from Clover configurator => graphics.

Once I rebooted, the internal graphics were detected (you can play around with enabling them from motherboard settings), however after they were detected, I went back and disabled them from motherboard settings and they were still detected fine. I noticed improvement in screen response and weird colours gone after intel HD graphics were installed.

That said, after that, Final cut pro and iMovie still didn't work and cited the hardware acceleration error.

I than went in clover configurator and inside BOOT, removed "-xcpm" and rebooted and now final cut pro and iMovie work fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards.

It turns out the boot argument "-xcpm" prevented acceleration being used on Vega 64. Removing it solves my problem.

This guy should get a medal!

I searched half a day through internet, and nothing, nothing indicates this parameter makes Vega's unusable. I just bought a card into my perfectly working i7-8700 with supported UHD and expected it to be even less problematic, and boom - no Metal, welcome, be like Nvidia, taste no acceleration.
Only this god forgotten topic says it, I honestly think this should be added to the main guide everyone uses: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/

Last edited:
Incase someone else is having the same issue, I fixes it using this thread too in Mojave.

I was on 10.14.3 Mojave and Final Cut pro or iMovie would not work citing Graphics acceleration!

I then realised my Intel HD graphics were never recognised. Thought my Vega 64 was automatically OOB.

That said, I installed intel HD graphics (mine were coffee lake) in the ig-platform-id drop down from Clover configurator => graphics.

Once I rebooted, the internal graphics were detected (you can play around with enabling them from motherboard settings), however after they were detected, I went back and disabled them from motherboard settings and they were still detected fine. I noticed improvement in screen response and weird colours gone after intel HD graphics were installed.

That said, after that, Final cut pro and iMovie still didn't work and cited the hardware acceleration error.

I than went in clover configurator and inside BOOT, removed "-xcpm" and rebooted and now final cut pro and iMovie work fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Regards.
Is this working on a real mac pro 5,1 with a vega 56 flashed to 64? I have the same problem,

IsLowPower: false
IsRemovable: false
ProgrammableSamplePositionsSupported: true
RasterOrderGroupsSupported: true
Depth24Stencil8PixelFormatSupported: true
MaxThreadgroupMemoryLength: 65536
RecommendedMaxWorkingSetSize: 8573157376
SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v1': true
SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v2': true
SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_GPUFamily1_v3': true
SupportsFeatureSet 'macOS_ReadWriteTextureTier2': false
SupportsFeatureSet 'osx_GPUFamily1_v1': true