Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z170A Gaming M3
CPU
i5-6600
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Hi, I looked at the entire forum but couldn't find the proper post regarding this. I was wondering if we can use any Nvidia Quadro Card in our workstations? I was looking for a setup for 4K editing platform. Or using 980Ti or Titan X would be equally useful?

Hi, I looked at the entire forum but couldn't find the proper post regarding this. I was wondering if we can use any Nvidia Quadro Card in our workstations? I was looking for a setup for 4K editing platform. Or using 980Ti or Titan X would be equally useful?
You obviously did not use the forum search engine with quadro as the key word. There are several builds using quadro cards that I have seen posted.

You obviously did not use the forum search engine with quadro as the key word. There are several builds using quadro cards that I have seen posted.
But these are normal quadro cards which can not be used for high end graphics and editing like 4k footage. I'm looking for realtime 4k edit machine.

But these are normal quadro cards which can not be used for high end graphics and editing like 4k footage. I'm looking for realtime 4k edit machine.
What kind of 4k footage are you working with? And which editing software are you using? I edit 4k footage all the time with my Hack. With a GTX 770

What kind of 4k footage are you working with? And which editing software are you using? I edit 4k footage all the time with my Hack. With a GTX 770
Editing RAW footage ( Cinema DNG) and color grading in Da Vinci Resolve. 980ti or Titan x can also be good and are suggested in this forum as well. But to handle such heavy tasks quadro cards are better. I'd love u to use Nvidia Quadro M4000 or M5000 as entry level cards for 4K edit and color grading.

Editing RAW footage ( Cinema DNG) and color grading in Da Vinci Resolve. 980ti or Titan x can also be good and are suggested in this forum as well. But to handle such heavy tasks quadro cards are better. I'd love u to use Nvidia Quadro M4000 or M5000 as entry level cards for 4K edit and color grading.
I did´t edit Cinema DNG yet but a lot of Sony RAW and Quicktime Prores 4k which is very easy for my machine, 20% CPU load. Challenging is RED RAW because the CPU has to decompress is during playback 1/2 Resolution in Premiere Pro = 100% CPU load. The graphics card does not do much. DaVinci Resolve is very hungry for VRAM. So a graphic card should have at least 4GB Ram or more. But the 980Ti is totally fine. I would rather go for a really strong CPU and a lot RAM. And maybe a RAID.

I did´t edit Cinema DNG yet but a lot of Sony RAW and Quicktime Prores 4k which is very easy for my machine, 20% CPU load. Challenging is RED RAW because the CPU has to decompress is during playback 1/2 Resolution in Premiere Pro = 100% CPU load. The graphics card does not do much. DaVinci Resolve is very hungry for VRAM. So a graphic card should have at least 4GB Ram or more. But the 980Ti is totally fine. I would rather go for a really strong CPU and a lot RAM. And maybe a RAID.
Thanks. I use Blackmagic URSA 4K and the Cinema DNG created by URSA are same as that of RED. Prores files are easy to handle and my 750Ti also handles them very well. While it also works with RAW but it needs smart render for that to play smoothly at 1/2 resolution. Also it creates trouble and hangs during color grading and can't handle the nodes. So I was thinking of getting a better GPU. A GPU with better VRAM and at least 256 bit or more. Quadro is the best option but can't find any support for quadro here. Only for two quadro GPU's are mentioned in this site but they are of very less VRAM 1.5GB & 2GB.

Just curious: Would you use your Hackintosh to edit video for work or your own videos(i.e. YouTube)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back