Contribute
Register

Use of Non-Standard Vega Framebuffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Run the App and look for the device called GFX0 (This is what a Vega GPU needs to be called in your ACPI)
Once you find it you can confirm the AMD Driver and Farmebuffer in use.

As an example this is what my Vega 64 LC looks like in my IOREG :-

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 17.06.55.png
@jaymonkey
First off, thank you for your always helpful posts. I'm running a headless configuration based mostly from what I've learned from you.
All the features/benefits of a headless configuration work, as far as I can tell; Hardware encoding, H264 encoding with FCP X, Etc.
But, my Ioreg output is different that yours. I seem to be getting the generic Radeon Framebuffer, even when I manually type "Kamerang" (as it's not available from the dropdown menu) in Clover configurator Graphics.
any ideas? and Am I missing any benefit?

GFX0@0.png

Clover configurator Graphics.png

my Ioreg output is different that yours. I seem to be getting the generic Radeon Framebuffer, even when I manually type "Kamerang" (as it's not available from the dropdown menu) in Clover configurator Graphics.

@HawkTron,

I assume your using LilU + WhatEverGreen ?

If so then WEG will always configure a Vega GPU with a Generic AMD Frame buffer which is compatible with a wider range of OEM Vega cards rather than a specific one such as "Kamerang", there is no difference in performance and you are not loosing any features.

I inject the "Kamerang" framebuffer using a SSDT ...

You can try the attached SSDT, it should work based on the device path that i can see in your IOREG screen shot, it will give the pci bridge to the GFX0 device the name of LTRE and inject the "Kamerang" framebuffer it will also correctly inject the HDMI/DP Audio properties.

You should remove the "Kamerang" from clover and copy the attached SSDT to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

• SSDT-VEGA64.aml
    436 bytes · Views: 132
I assume your using LilU + WhatEverGreen ?
That's correct!
You can try the attached SSDT, it should work based on the device path that i can see in your IOREG screen shot, it will give the pci bridge to the GFX0 device the name of LTRE and inject the "Kamerang" framebuffer it will also correctly inject the HDMI/DP Audio properties.

You should remove the "Kamerang" from clover and copy the attached SSDT to /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

will try it and report back. Thanks again!

I inject the "Kamerang" framebuffer using a SSDT ...

@jaymonkey,
I removed "Kamerang" from clover and I put your SSDT in the /ACPI/Patched folder and rebooted, but it made no difference, IOREG is still showing "RadeonFramebuffer" as in my previous IOREG screen shot.
Do I need to change any settings in my config.plist to activate/inject the SSDT?

Edit:
I forgot I needed to add the SSDT to ACPI, sortedOrder
IOREG now properly displays Kamarang Framebuffer
Thanks again!

ACP! sorted order.png

GFX0@0 -Kamarang.png

Last edited:
I forgot I needed to add the SSDT to ACPI, sortedOrder
IOREG now properly displays Kamarang Framebuffer

@HawkTron,

There is no need to specify a sorted order in current versions of Clover, if you don't define a Sorted Order list then Clover will automatically inject all SSDT's in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

It is only necessary to specify a Sorted Order if you have one (or more) SSDT's that are dependant upon another, in your case, you only have two SSDT's and neither is not reliant on the other.

Cheers
Jay

There is no need to specify a sorted order in current versions of Clover, if you don't define a Sorted Order list then Clover will automatically inject all SSDT's in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.

It is only necessary to specify a Sorted Order if you have one (or more) SSDT's that are dependant upon another, in your case, you only have two SSDT's and neither is not reliant on the other.
Good to know that, It's weird tho, that in my case the SSDT injection did not happen automatically, even after multiple reboots.

Cheers back at you!

Good to know that, It's weird tho, that in my case the SSDT injection did not happen automatically, even after multiple reboots.

@HawkTron,

Did you already have SSDT-UIAC.aml defined in Sorted Order ?

If so then simply adding SSDT-VEGA64.aml would not work, you would either have to remove all entries from the Sorted List or add the new one ...

Cheers
Jay

Did you already have SSDT-UIAC.aml defined in Sorted Order ?
If so then simply adding SSDT-VEGA64.aml would not work, you would either have to remove all entries from the Sorted List or add the new one ...
Yes, I believe so. When I added the SSDT-UIAC.aml to enable/disable usb ports, I was following a guide,but I kinda recall it included tick marking "PluginType" besides just adding it to SortedOrder, as in the case of SSDT-VEGA64.aml
EDIT: Yes I had already defined the SSDT-UIAC.aml in SortedOrder.

Generate Options.png

So just to be be clear, What is the proper way to add to SortedOrder, if you have one or more unrelated SSDT's?
Or as you previously stated, they should load automatically, once you put the SSDT's in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder?
And if so, I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to change to produce this action.

Last edited:
Yes I had already defined the SSDT-UIAC.aml in SortedOrder.

@HawkTron,

That explains why it did not load SSDT-VEGA64.aml until you added it to the sorted order.

Clarification of Clover's Sorted Order feature :-
  • If no Sorted Order is defined in config.plist then Clover will load/inject all SSDT's in /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched.
  • If any SSDT's are defined in the Sorted Order list then Clover will only load/inject those SSDT's in the defined order.
So just to be be clear, What is the proper way to add to SortedOrder, if you have one or more unrelated SSDT's? Or as you previously stated, they should load automatically, once you put the SSDT's in CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder? And if so, I'm wondering if there's a setting I need to change to produce this action.

As previously stated if you remove all entries from the sorted order list then Clover will automatically inject/load all SSDT's in the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.

You only need to specify a Sorted Order if you have one or more SSDT's that are dependant up on another, or if you have unused SSDT's the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder and you wish to explicitly define which SSDT's are used.

In your case you can safely remove the Sorted Order list as you only have two SSDT's that are not dependant up on each other.

Cheers
Jay

As previously stated if you remove all entries from the sorted order list then Clover will automatically inject/load all SSDT's in the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder.

You only need to specify a Sorted Order if you have one or more SSDT's that are dependant up on another, or if you have unused SSDT's the /EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched folder and you wish to explicitly define which SSDT's are used.

In your case you can safely remove the Sorted Order list as you only have two SSDT's that are not dependant up on each other.

@jaymonkey,
Ok, I finally get it. Thanks so much for demystifying this for me!

Cheers, back at you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back