CPU
E5 2696v4
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My scores on Geekbench were low after 10.14.04, after I seen a post her that mention to tick Inject ATI, but I went a little fetter and also select FUTOMAKI on framebuffer cause I remember one day messing around with IOreg seen the Futomaki word when I was on 10.14.04 and since Apple gave the best tweaks to VII after came out I guess forgot to fix the vega64 like it was on 10.14.04. I maybe speculating wrong but point of view anyways here are the results w/ this tweak on config plist GPU FUTOMAKI, ATI Inject and I'm going now to use watman to place the Kext on others to see if it crack fetter.

Metal-193205.jpg

CL-189876.jpeg

I don't think FUTOMAKI is the correct framebuffer personality for the Vega 64. And from what I have read, the framebuffer personality should only affect how ports are mapped. Referring to Radeon Compatibility Guide, you might want to try Kamarang or Iriri. In my case, the generic RadeonFramebuffer seems to work; HDMI and the one DP I've used work.

I did a little (un)scientific test and kept track of settings and test results while overclocking/undervolting my Vega 56 with VGTab. Managed to get it to 985MHz memory clock at 1.8mV.
Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 14.51.44.png
All test are 3 run averages. And I did not perform one test, so the missing tooth is intentional

I don't think FUTOMAKI is the correct framebuffer personality for the Vega 64. And from what I have read, the framebuffer personality should only affect how ports are mapped. Referring to Radeon Compatibility Guide, you might want to try Kamarang or Iriri. In my case, the generic RadeonFramebuffer seems to work; HDMI and the one DP I've used work.

I did a little (un)scientific test and kept track of settings and test results while overclocking/undervolting my Vega 56 with VGTab. Managed to get it to 985MHz memory clock at 1.8mV.
View attachment 421825
All test are 3 run averages. And I did not perform one test, so the missing tooth is intentional
Thanks for the correcting scientific test, but for me this is what I found and so far it working as shown above so, I can leave it to speculation of regardless of FUTOMAKI been the chipset or not, but the trick its working for me, I did the scouting and thats what I found cheers!

I can leave it to speculation of regardless of FUTOMAKI been the chipset or not, but the trick its working for me.

@The Veterant,

There is no speculation .... your configuration is incorrect ...

FUTOMAKI framebuffer is only included in the AMD7000Controller driver kext which is for AMD HD 7870 / R9 270X.
AMD Vega 56 & 64 use the AMD10000Controller driver kext, valid framebuffers are Kamarang and possibly Iriri.

You need to look in your IOREG and see which driver kext is bound to the GPU, if it's using AMD7000Controller then you will most likely have issues, if it's using AMD10000Controller then it will not be using the FUTOMAKI framebuffer despite what you may think.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@The Veterant,

There is no speculation .... your configuration is incorrect ...

FUTOMAKI framebuffer is only included in the AMD7000Controller driver kext which is for AMD HD 7870 / R9 270X.
AMD Vega 56 & 64 use the AMD10000Controller driver kext, valid framebuffers are Kamarang and possibly Iriri.

You need to look in your IOREG and see which driver kext is bound to the GPU, if it's using AMD7000Controller then you will most likely have issues, if it's using AMD10000Controller then it will not be using the FUTOMAKI framebuffer despite what you may think.

Cheers
Jay

First, let me be clear my self, Im not an expert on this nor a programmer or guru on this, Im a Hobbies. With that out of the way, Im going to clear al this mess. Ok First the finding that I did the test was with my specs setup, when I was running 10.14.04 my vegas64 performance on metal=167000 or 183000 w/ opencl as well, after 14.05 and still 10.14.06 apart the pink stripes the performance decrees and this is my experience my setup and the way that its configure cause and doing my best, so long story short, the performance till this point was bad w/ geekbench but not w/ Luxmark, then I decide to use the VGTab app to generate a kext and place it on EFI, and performance on Luxmark were improving but not on geekbench and I give a try to edit the config.plit selecting FUTOMAKI and Inject ATI because, THE CHIPSET of the Vega64 that they are on the KEXT AMD Controller 10000 DON't show on the Controller option section on the config.plist like you said that they are KAMARANG and IRIRI, but my self since Im backwards I did select the FUTOMAKI and ATI Inject and walla full speed ahead on LUXMARK and GEEKBENCH as you can see above the bench test results, not BIOS mod here just pure luck I guess, I'm not trying argue not knowledge here cause you are the expert I,m just showing what is working for me, I don't have the knowledge to create a SSDT compile kext inject kext so with the little tinkering that I did I found out this results so I was excited to share it here for others that are on the same boat and want to give a shot to a short route and have the same results that I did, but if this is confusing a lot of people or my confuse or damage the hardware to anyone, yes delete my post, and thank you to correct for my misleading information given to the tread. Thanks

THE CHIPSET of the Vega64 that they are on the KEXT AMD Controller 10000 DON't show on the Controller option section on the config.plist like you said that they are KAMARANG and IRIRI

@The Veterant,

You did not read (or understand) what I wrote :-

JayMonkey said:

I said nothing about the settings in your config.plist.
You need to download and install IORegistryExplorer from this post :-

Run the App and look for the device called GFX0 (This is what a Vega GPU needs to be called in your ACPI)
Once you find it you can confirm the AMD Driver and Farmebuffer in use.

As an example this is what my Vega 64 LC looks like in my IOREG :-

Screenshot 2019-08-15 at 17.06.55.png

I'm not disputing what your saying but we need understand whats going on in you mac and confirm if the settings you think you are applying are actually taking hold with in MacOS (i suspect they are not).

If you are unsure of what to look for in your IOREG then please post your IOREG file and i'll have a look for you.

Download IORegistryExplorer from the link above, run the app and select the "File" menu in the top bar menu, then select "Save As" and save the IOREG to your desktop.

Attach the saved file to a post and we can then have a look and see if you have stumbled on to something ...

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@The Veterant,

You did not read (or understand) what I wrote :-

I said nothing about the settings in your config.plist.
You need to download and install IORegistryExplorer from this post :-

Run the App and look for the device called GFX0 (This is what a Vega GPU needs to be called in your ACPI)
Once you find it you can confirm the AMD Driver and Farmebuffer in use.

As an example this is what my Vega 64 LC looks like in my IOREG :-

View attachment 421905
I'm not disputing what your saying but we need understand whats going on in you mac and confirm if the settings you think you are applying are actually taking hold with in MacOS (i suspect they are not).

If you are unsure of what to look for in your IOREG then please post your IOREG file and i'll have a look for you.

Download IORegistryExplorer from the link above, run the app and select the "File" menu in the top bar menu, then select "Save As" and save the IOREG to your desktop.

Attach the saved file to a post and we can then have a look and see if you have stumbled on to something ...

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, I will. I think and the problem that I have its my CPU generation by been a Xeon Broadwell CPU Hackintool show as with a iGPU generation of CPU and since I don't have the expertise to edit a proper SSDT nor an ACPI so thats were the wrong configuration its coming from but she is working great in Davinci and final Cut. But thanks again.

Attachments

• X99DLX2-Vega64.ioreg
    26.3 MB · Views: 72
@The Veterant,

The IOREG file you attached above is un-readable, this is usually caused by the wrong version of IORegisteryExplorer being used. You must use Version 2.1 downloaded from this post :-

Please try again with the correct version of IORegisteryExplorer.

Also to save time/bandwidth please zip the IOREG file before uploading.

Cheers
Jay

Nothing special in your IOREG file, just standard AMD radeonframebuffer not FUTOMAKI framebuffer in use.

1565973374011.png

Looks like it is falling back to using the Generic Vega Framebuffer since specifying FUTOMAKI in the config.plist would not work with the AMD10000Controller driver kext which is what I expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back