Contribute
Register

USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help.
My hardware:http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10501&cs_id=1050103&p_id=6417&seq=1&format=2

I have a RT3090 Chip and on my first Hackintosh Ga-P55-USB3 board, I got it to work by installing the latest software form ralink, I think originally designed for 10.6. Though I had to use an older version of the utility to be able to connect to my network. Otherwise it would state "no device!" I am using a 1x PCIe (smallest PCIe slot) adapter for the mPCIe card above

It was originally bought for my HTPC: GA-H61N-USB3 board, it is a mITX and has only one 16x Slot.

To see if it would work (I don't see why not) I put the card in the the 4x slot (larger slots than 1x) in my original hackintosh P55 board, and it worked. It works when connected to the 4x slot and 1x slot. I have not been able to try 16x because thats where my video card is and i don't' have integrated graphics in my old i7 chip. Why would it not work in 16x?

So i went ahead and tried to install the card on my HTPC mITX board int he 16x PCIe slot. It never works. I have tried several drivers, I have even manually copied associated files with the installer (pacifist) form my P55 board into the H61 and installed the supplied kext form the latest drivers using kext beast. I have tried a " rt2870 fixed" kext from kexts.com, that still didn't' work. I have tried the older WifiRalink wireless utilities to connect. Everytime it either hangs and crashed to restart and state "no device connected!" or directly "no device directed"

I think it has to do with the 1x adapter in a 16x slot. but how and why!? if it worked in a larger slot 4x PCIe then why not 16x? aren't the first (X) number of pins the same?

PS: I need to know before I purchase the Broadcom "BCM94321MC" wifi mPCIe card if the 1x adapter will work in a 16x slot. :( I'm worried i'll not get internal PCI wireless on this hack...

Any PCI Express card works in any PCI Express slot, as long as it physically fits.
Do note that on the the 6x series of chipsets the bandwidth is shared between the first two x16 slots, so you'd effectively cut the speed for the graphics card slot in half to x8 by fitting a card in the secondary x16 slot and there's no way around this.

Hi

I can confirm that the Draytek Vigor N61 USB Wireless adaptor works on Snow Leopard 10.6.3, 10.6.7 & 10.6.8 :eek:

As this chip supports the Ralink RT2870 chip set you can download the Mac drivers from:

Note Ralink has changed....
http://www.ralinktech.com/en/04_support ... php?sn=502

The driver adds a network device “802.11 nWLAN” and a Ralink Icon on top right near the Time Machine Icon.

Yeah, Ralink was bought out by Mediatek a few months ago, hence the changes. They've been a bit crap in getting out new Mac drivers and they don't appear to bother at all with their PCI Express parts any more, which really sucks as I have a PCI Express card with one of their chips.

May I just say that anyone using the Ralink hardware who isn't happy with the way the software automatically loads on startup and looks awful (and the dock icon looks awful too) should check out my thread £4 USB wifi dongle success on 10.7.2

Basically I got lucky after an evening's Googling, and found software that alters the Ralink driver to stop it appearing on startup, and replaces the awful dock icon with an airport icon in the top menu bar.

Also anyone in the UK who wants a £4 USB dongle that works should read it too!

I just upgraded my 802.11n adapter with another one; one that allows for 300 mbps instead of 300 mpbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-802-11-...070?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415f74b436

I bought this exact same adapter, but I cannot get it working.

EDIT: OK, now it's working, and I think I figured out what I did wrong. This info might be helpful to others as well...

If your USB WiFi device isn't working, the trick just might be that you have to leave the USB WiFi dongle unplugged until after you install the drivers and restart your computer! Did a lot of searching around until I found this suggestion on another site. Tried that idea, and voila...it works now! Never thought of that. Might help someone else down the road.

I have a TP-link Wireless adapter - TL-WN821N. Is it possible to fool the adapter into thinking it is TL-WN321G. So that the dongle will work in a SONY bravia TV?
if so how do I do it. I saw this
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Sony_UWA-BR100.

but I don't understand how to run the device drivers. pls help

Thanks to this thread I was able to finally get a USB wifi adpater that works. I currently upgraded my router-modem to a netgear somethingorother. The point being that it choked my internet from the Mac down to about 1kbps which is obviously too slow for use of any kind. I was using the AWLL6075 on my frhackintosh with 10.6.6.

I currently picked up an AWLL6070 from ebay for about $14 shipped. (These have the Ralink RT2870 chip in them.)

Downloaded and the drivers from:
Click HERE, then click MAC OSX on the page and install. *If you download from a PC you need to rename the file with a .dng filename.

Reboot, then plug in the Device and simply create a profile once the device and router show up.

Now, I simply turn on the Mac and get automatically connected to my wifi (WPA2-PSK EAS) and with synergy mouse and keyboard share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back