Contribute
Register

USB WiFi Dongles - The Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok So I just finished building and getting running a Hackintosh. Now it does have a few issues but the big thing I can't do without would be wireless. I've been looking around and it doesn't look like there are any solutions to get linksys's ae2500 running. That is besides ditch it and buy a compatible card of some sort.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting this thing to work and if so how?

mizino said:
Ok So I just finished building and getting running a Hackintosh. Now it does have a few issues but the big thing I can't do without would be wireless. I've been looking around and it doesn't look like there are any solutions to get linksys's ae2500 running. That is besides ditch it and buy a compatible card of some sort.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone had any luck getting this thing to work and if so how?

I gave up on dongles they change the chipsets in them all the time so what worked last month you might be completly out of luck. I went this route. Sure it costs more but it is foolproof It plugs in the ethernet port and gives you Wifi Netgear WNCE3001 WIRELESS DUAL BAND INTERNET ADAPTER. http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Universal-Wireless-Internet-WNCE3001/dp/B005N6XBDO

noob said:
Mine wifi dongle is Slow -_-
yes thats what the ones I got to work did too. ran at dial up speed and was N

I would go out and buy a new card, one that works with mac, save that I don't have the money for such a thing. So I'm hoping someone has worked with it a bit and might have at least a partial road to a solution.

Is it perhaps possible to use parallels (of which I already have a copy) to install the software needed to run the dongle? I mean install it into windows and then run bridged networking to give it to the mac?

Ok i have fiddled and fanageled and beat my head against the wall, and found a way for us all to use what ever cards we have with these setups. All you need is a virtualization software. You run a bit of windows in the background and bridge the connection sharing the wireless to your mac and dada its working. I know this isn't the most ideal solution, but for the moment it has my mac running the wireless dongle.

hi! anyone can help me find/configure .kext for this device:

RALINK - TP-Link TL-WN321G USB 2.0 802.11g - $20
http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN321G ... B000FO6QYU

i have downloaded reccomended .PKG, i have read topics in other forum, but it doesn't work for OS X LION.

Thanks

Just a quick one to indicate that the D-Link DWA140 works fine on my hackintosh with the following drivers installed http://www.osx86.net/view/2058-railink_ ... t3072.html

There is only two restrictions:
- the dongle create very often a kernel panic at wake up (even with Jettison install the dongle is not properly eject and cause crash), so not recommended if you are a heavy sleep mode user.
- airdrop is not available as the dongle is not recognized as a native apple WLAN hardware.$

But if you just want internet connection I recommend this dongle, it does the joob for less tahn 20 EUR.

Mutafukaz said:
Just a quick one to indicate that the D-Link DWA140 works fine on my hackintosh with the following drivers installed http://www.osx86.net/view/2058-railink_ ... t3072.html

There is only two restrictions:
- the dongle create very often a kernel panic at wake up (even with Jettison install the dongle is not properly eject and cause crash), so not recommended if you are a heavy sleep mode user.
- airdrop is not available as the dongle is not recognized as a native apple WLAN hardware.$

But if you just want internet connection I recommend this dongle, it does the joob for less tahn 20 EUR.

Just sent back this precise dongle to amazon this week.

Not working at all !!

I've seen many posts on the web saying that dongle worked great with the ralink drivers.
As a matter of fact it's untrue.

First of all the utility does connect for the first open network at each startup, it doesn't matter if you create a profile with YOUR wifi network, the utility will always connect to the first open wifi network available.
So you have to manually connect to your network at each startup.

Then, the dongle "seems" connected, but actually it gets disconnected every 10 minutes or so. Maybe it got disconnected at specific time or when you transfer a specific amount of data...

Anyway... i'd recommend staying away from this dongle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back